Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    yes it's out check the link

http://www.palmone.com/us/support/do...0_updater.html

download and enjoy.....
    Last edited by X-MAN; 05/17/2004 at 07:56 PM.
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    I have a Cingular unlocked phone. Is there any harm in installing this "(Outside North America)" update? What may happen?

Kirby
    Treo 650 unlocked & locked with Cingular
    Call me cautious, but I'm waiting for the "official" Cingular version to be released from PalmOne. It's not work the risk.
    Dennis G. Esler
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    I figured this would be the last... after Cingular and T Mobile.

I'm repeating this mantra trying to be strong...

"I have too much work to do, I have to wait till this weekend to do the update"

I think it's working
    Less than 400 posts to get my own little treo icon!
    I have an AT&T unlocked one running the "unofficial" 3.04 firmware on Fido in Canada (not an official Treo carrier)....think the unbranded firmware update would be safe? Or redundant?
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    I read other GSM as the phone, not the service. I have the unbranded phone and just did the update (T-Mo). good so far. My guess is the carrier specific stuff has to do with the splash screen and a final ok from the service provider. My startup screen says PalmOne and the splash screen on wireless startup says Treo.
    Quote Originally Posted by pabo
    I read other GSM as the phone, not the service. I have the unbranded phone and just did the update (T-Mo). good so far. My guess is the carrier specific stuff has to do with the splash screen and a final ok from the service provider. My startup screen says PalmOne and the splash screen on wireless startup says Treo.
    Were you running 3.04 before? If so, do you notice a difference?
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    no, I was running the FW that shipped on the device 1 something. I have noticed immediate improvements in the gprs "connect" time, ie, one button download with Snapper connects to and disconnects from mail servers much faster. new movie rec is very cool (sound). finds network quicker. switches apps quicker.

remember, I just did this an hour ago.

there appear to be a lot of little enhancements, but I don't have an old treo to compare them to
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    This is the right firmware for my phone, although I am running 3.04 and not sure if I should upgrade....

Looks like no-one else here has tried yet, so I may need to be the test dummy....
    i have a unbranded and unlocked Treo600 GSM. I really want to update the SW. ... will see..
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    I have done it! upgraded FW 3.04 to 3.05, but I did need to do a hard reset to get it to work, otherwise it just froze after the initial soft reset!
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    mmmm, mega holidays no longer works!

And the ever present reset when doing a phone number lookup from within the SMS program is still not fixed, to be honest I doubt they will ever fix this!!!
    Last edited by joele; 05/17/2004 at 11:27 PM.
    Upgraded my unbranded from 3.04 to 3.05, seems to pick up the network faster, I did notice that after the upgrade I had the option to select network in the phone options, then after I turned on the radio and it connected to Cingular I lost that option.. :-( I really liked that option and had it with the older firmware before 3.04....

Waxhawsam
    Treo600 GSM, originally (Nov 03) a SIM unlocked Cingular. Never on Cingular, always on T-Mobile. Became an INTernational version when I updated the Firmware/Software a few weeks later. Been updating it with INT firmware ever since. Was running 3.04 until an hour ago.

Used my usual method when updating:

1) Put updater (ROW 1.12 Updater.prc) onto my SD Card, in the Launcher directory. (And at the same time, hotsync'd to my PowerBook. The hotsync isn't necessary, but I always do it just in case, and I also empty the "Backup" folder on my PowerBook beforehand, so after the hotsync its contents don't contain any old files I no longer have on my Treo).

2) Backup the phone ram onto my SD Card using BackupMan.

3) Hard reset my Treo.

4) Go to the application launcher and copy the ROW 1.12 Updater.prc file from my SD card to phone ram (via the Copy menu). I never run the updater from the SD card, I always move it to phone ram. There's plenty of memory since the Treo was just hard reset.

5) Run the updater (from phone ram).

After the updater finished, and the Treo restarted, I checked things out for a while, to see what a "factory fresh" Treo looked like again , and then just restored the backup I made in step 2 with backupman. (A whole device restore, not a file-by-file restore).

And, umm, everything just works. Nothing needed to be re-installed.

(I understand that Java can't be restored this way, but I don't have Java installed anymore, so I'm not positive).

Bill S

ps. I never knew what 'SIAM' meant in the very first bunch of updaters. I never knew what 'CROW' meant in the rest of the updaters. Now I don't know what 'ROW' means, which is what this updater is. Does anyone know?
    Quote Originally Posted by joele
    And the ever present reset when doing a phone number lookup from within the SMS program is still not fixed, ...
    It seems to work fine for me. I go into the SMS program, click on new, use the popup menu next to the "To:" to select "Lookup in Contacts", and I find myself in the contacts list, where I select a contact, at which point I find myself back in the SMS program, with the contact's number entered for me.

Bill S
    Quote Originally Posted by tvBilly
    Now I don't know what 'ROW' means, which is what this updater is. Does anyone know?
    Most of the time, I've seen ROW refer to "Rest of World" -- for instance, a global company that's focused mainly on the US and Japan may have three categories when reporting sales -- US, Japan, and ROW.

Oscar
    Worked fine here as an update to an unbranded GSM 600 bought from HS through the update program for use on T-Mo. It had been updated previously to CROW. As I run Linux, my method was slightly different.

1. Treo600 ROW Updater1.12.exe
    2. Run executable on Windows machine until downloadable programs are extracted, then abort
    3. zip files into ROW 1.12 Updater.zip
    4. transfer .zip file to Linux box and then unzip
    5. backup treo 600 with backupman
    6. Hard reset treo
    7. transfer all unzipped files to treo
    8. update began automagically and insisted that I attach the device to a charger, I complied
    9. Update and Flash complete in about 5-10 minutes (dunno exactly, I was watching 'Monk')
    11. treo resets and comes up, discovers networks and remembers to be a T-Mo phone again
    12. restore all other programs with backupman

All seems quite fine after the update.
    Quote Originally Posted by oscarc
    Most of the time, I've seen ROW refer to "Rest of World" -- for instance, a global company that's focused mainly on the US and Japan may have three categories when reporting sales -- US, Japan, and ROW.

Oscar
    Hmmm .... what would that make CROW? China and the Rest of the World?
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tvBilly
    It seems to work fine for me. I go into the SMS program, click on new, use the popup menu next to the "To:" to select "Lookup in Contacts", and I find myself in the contacts list, where I select a contact, at which point I find myself back in the SMS program, with the contact's number entered for me. Bill S
    Yeah it works for most, but many have reported this problem, it must be some combo of contacts, I can copy my contacts into the Treo Simulator and reproduce the crash there also, I have hard reset and re-entered my contacts manually and same problem.... Palm don't give a **** either they just keep telling me to hard reset over and over..... brainless tech support... I have offered the Addressdb.pdb file that will even crash the simulator from palm, but they're not interested in fixing it!

One other member of this forum has had his unit replaced by Sprint due to this problem 5 times and he still has the problem!
    I think this ROW update will lock patched treos again...

can someone confirm???
Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast