Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Adzo J
    I'm on UK Orange (GSM), I'm not bothered about losing the orange logos, as Orange warranty is now covered by Handspring (palmone) now anyway.

So my question is , is it safe for me to do the 'other carrier' updgrade...has any orange guys/gals done this yet...

Oh by the way, i've updated using the car kit updater also...

thanks
    I don't think it's a problem to upgrade it. But If you have an Orange branded you will have to use TolkenWriter before to change it. See here for explanations.
    Quote Originally Posted by spartanrob
    Finally! After downloading the Cingular update from mytreo.net, i have the update and everything is working perfectly. I did have to use Tokenwriter and set it to CNG first. Hopefully it is still unlocked, can't check until i get to work in the AM, will update then.
    As I feared, i am now locked to ATT. Anyone have the steps to keep 3.05 and unlock???
    Global Posts
    478 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spartanrob
    As I feared, i am now locked to ATT. Anyone have the steps to keep 3.05 and unlock???
    You must have had the hacked version from before because I updated my ATT phone with the CNG update and my ATT sim works fine, no problems.

I dont think there is a hack yet for 3.05, youll have to wait abit longer.

rob
    I did have the hacked version. The phone is working fine on ATT (unbranded, palmone). I just get the Cingular screen when the phone goes on or off.
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Bye bye Mr.Flip, i will miss you.

Or can i use some hack so i will still see he him do the handstands after the update?
    I just got off the phone with Palmone customer service (the escalation number) because my fifth replacement phone still echoed, and (once again) they locked it to T-Mobile and it shouldn't be (I started with an unlocked Cingular.) So, instead of accepting another exchange, I was told the following:
    1. The new updater for other countries is fine for United States unlocked phones (so I don't need to wait for the T-Mobile version.)
    2. That the new updaters fix the echo problem!!!!!
    OK, so I'm going to probably upgrade phone #4 with the ROW updater and return the locked one (#5). But first - has anyone found that the updaters cure the echo problem?
    Last edited by Levyesq; 05/19/2004 at 04:09 PM. Reason: posted before completed
    Treo 750 and iPhone.
    I've got an unlocked Treo on T-Mobile. Handspring is saying I need to wait until they issue the T-Mobile firmware upgrade. Is this so? Or is that T-Mobile upgrade only for true 'T-Mobile' phones purchased from T-Mobile originally?
    Quote Originally Posted by Treoramma
    I've got an unlocked Treo on T-Mobile. Handspring is saying I need to wait until they issue the T-Mobile firmware upgrade. Is this so? Or is that T-Mobile upgrade only for true 'T-Mobile' phones purchased from T-Mobile originally?
    See my post above - you need to wait if your phone is sim-locked, and the way to test that for sure is to try a sim from another carrier. I just finished the update but haven't tested it yet - more to follow.
    Treo 750 and iPhone.
    What is the suffix on your software (look in Phone Info under Menu/Options)? If INT, go ahead and apply the update. If it is something else, you will need to use TokenWriter to change to INT, or else wait for the T-Mo upgrade. However, if you have or want T-Mo splash screens and branding, you won't get them from the "Rest-of-World" update.
    Guys..see this link...the Palm site is so confusing... and Does any one know how different is ATT 3.06 update from 3.05?...

http://205.141.210.148/SRVS/CGI-BIN/....tem,CASE=2120
    So, I should use the 'other carriers' update? My software version is 1.08-INT.

Thanks!
    I have an unlocked phone on t-mo that had 3.04.

I d/l'ed the program and ran it -- I did a hotsynch to back up first. The first part of the process completed, and my treo said I needed to reset it. I did, and it booted back up saying something like "general failure with update" -- can't remember the exact words now. It wanted to reset again.

When it came back up, I noticed some of my programs were missing -- I went to "delete" to see how much space was left, and there was signficantly more than there was before I started -- I had 6.5 megs free, but now it was showing about 14. I saw some stuff I didnt' recognize (looked like it was related to the updater) so I deleted it. I have an SD card, so I began to wonder what was going on with that.

I still had a file mgmt program called "fileprog" on the phone, so I ran that to see what was on the SD card. I got a soft reset when I clicked on the icon.

It came back up, and it looks like all the non standard programs are gone (except for one that was on the card). My address book / calendar / memo items are still there, though. The touch screen doesn't appear to work -- it's keyboard only. The camera says I don't have any pictures -- I had some in memory, some on the card.

I can still get on the phone network, and when I go to "phone info" it says I have rev 3.0.4

When I get home today, I'm going to do a hard reset, and synch from my home computer, which has pretty much everything on it, I think. On my work computer here, I guess I'll clear everything out and start over.

So, doesn't look like it was fatal yet, but it wasn't much fun
    So, I should use the 'other carriers' update? My software version is 1.08-INT.

Thanks!
    Yes. Afterwards, it should say Treo600-1.12-ROW.
    Quote Originally Posted by jqh1
    So, doesn't look like it was fatal yet, but it wasn't much fun
    OK - so, without using my home computer, I hard reset and created a new user for hotsynching. I ran the upgrade again with the new user, and it worked this time. Then I synched again with my original user and all my stuff is back on, and I'm at 3.05. Whew.
    Quote Originally Posted by dhl
    Has anyone else with an unbranded, unlocked T-Mobile phone from the Handspring upgrade program tried this update? I see a Handspring splash when I turn the radio on or off. Anyone with a 600 like this, what does your splash say now? How did the update go? I'm trying to decide between this update and waiting for the official T-Mobile version. My FW is 1.08-INT
    I bought my Treo last week, and applied the update. Before that my signal screen had Handspring logos and after the update appear Treo logos and pa1m0ne logos. The info in the phone aplication is as follows:

Before
    FW 02.09
    SW Treo600-1.10-INT
    HW B

After
    FW 0.0
    SW Treo600-1.1-ROW
    HW B

My Treo was totally unlocked before the update and I hope it'll continue like that. Hope this is helpful.

BTW first post
    Quote Originally Posted by jip88
    What is the suffix on your software (look in Phone Info under Menu/Options)? If INT, go ahead and apply the update. If it is something else, you will need to use TokenWriter to change to INT, or else wait for the T-Mo upgrade. However, if you have or want T-Mo splash screens and branding, you won't get them from the "Rest-of-World" update.
    Un -uh. T-Mo doesn't have an extension - it is INT and still may be locked. The only sure way to test is with a foreign sim card. BTW, still echos after upgrade - what turkeys. Can't believe anything Palmone says.
    Treo 750 and iPhone.
    Sorry for the delay, I was away for a few days with no time to read the board.

Simple answers:

If your Treo was SIM unlocked from the factory, the update will leave it unlocked.

If your Treo is SIM locked from the factory, and you have the actual SIM unlock code for your Treo, the update will SIM lock your Treo, but your SIM unlock code will still work. Every time you update your Treo you'll have to re-enter your SIM unlock code once.

If your Treo is SIM locked from the factory, but you're using patched firmware to fool it into thinking it's unlocked, the update will SIM lock your Treo, and it won't be fooled anymore.

My Treo, btw, works fine with the new firmware and my Italy WIND SIM card, as well as my T-Mobile SIM; I just checked. I've been updating it (as I said in my initial message in this thread) with every INTernational firmware update, and had no problems. There should be no problems even if you've never updated your Treo before.

Bill S

ps Thanks for the Rest Of the World tidbit. I wonder if the C in CROW is China or Canada. Does China have GSM?
  18. dhl
    thanks all. So is the only difference between the unreleased T-Mobile update and the ROW update the branding on the radio screens?

The PalmOne CSR said there are network specific diferences and that I should wait for the T-Mobile version. I'm tempted to just go ffor it.
    Well, it appears that if you don't turn on the speaker until the other party answers, the echo is not present. Hallelujah - don't want to go for replacement #6.
    Treo 750 and iPhone.
    I just applied the update to my non-branded GSM model.

I'm in the states using T-Mobile.

Before in my house I *always* had 2-3 bars of service, sometimes 4 bars. no dropped calls, very little garbling if any.

since applying the update, I can barely get any coverage in my house at all - it keeps dropping completely out of service. when there is coverage, it is 1 bar at most.

this is really, really unacceptable. anybody else experience a severe reception degradation?
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast