Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rcgroup
    i was formerly on a locked ATT treo GSM

using the patched file i unlocked and upgraded to 3.04 1.12 (1 mth ago)

today downloaded the otheri nternational file form palmone and applied it...

Phone works.... updated fine... need to get a friend with some other carrier to test the unlock... will update sooon...

shows firmware 03.05 and s/w TREO600-1.12-ROW ....

UPDATE phone is locked back to ATT
    Global Posts
    459 Global Posts
    I upgraded using tvBilly's deerekshuns and it went fine. i'm now upgraded and so far so good...
    a dirty mind is a terrible thing to waste
    someone has posted Treo600 will be SIM Locked if you apply the updater on an unbranded, and unlocked (factory from P1).

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...hreadid=369328

is it true? has anyone had this problem?

I would not want my phone becomes a SIM locked after the upgrade thou.

This is not true of a phone that is genuinely unlocked but it makes a whole lot of sense if you had the hacked ROM installed to break the locking. The ROM update itself does not touch the locking state of the radio in my experience.
    If you've scr*wed up your Treo by trying unlocking through Method D with fw 3.05, have a look at this mytreo.net thread:

http://mytreo.net/forum/YaBB.cgi?boa...num=1084547581
    After doing the update to 3.05 INT whenever I try to input my system lock password I dont see the actual password anymore. Its masked by rectangles. Does anyone else have this happen now?
    I have a true INT phone, never locked. The INT update installed flawlessly and did NOT lock the phone.
    OK, should I "revert" back to the previous version of the firmware before running the new update? (I'm running the "unofficial" version) If so, how? Nothing i do works
    Hello Everyone,
    I have quickly read through this thread and, I'm embarrassed to admit, I think I'm more confused after reading it than before I began it.

I bought my T600 through the upgrade program for T-Mobile. When I bought it, the sales associate pointedly told me he was sending me the unlocked version for any carrier. Since I go to Europe and need to be able to use other SIM cards for other carriers, this was important to me.

Now, I'm reading this wondering if I should do the upgrade for "Other Carriers" on PalmOne's site? I want to keep this feature. If I upgrade to the T-Mobile one when it comes out, will it lock the phone to be used on T-Mobile?

There are several long, drawn out discussions on installing it to avoid having the phone lock, but I didn't see exactly where to find these instructions and if I need any other programs to do it.

Can someone give me a simple answer to my questions? Highlight SIMPLE. I think I'm having a dumb day.

I'd love to use the sound recorder program on my phone and it seems the only way to do it is via this update. If I look at my phone info, my current software description is: Treo600-1.11-INT. Hardware is: B.

Thanks for the help.
    Michael
    Michael J. Barnes
    Associate Professor
    Wayne State University

Visor >> VisorPhone >> Treo 300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650>> Centro >> Pre+
    Global Posts
    478 Global Posts
    Here is the Simple answer. The upgrade will NOT lock your phone (assuming it is not locked to begin with). The firmware does not make any changes to this part of the code. If it does (although it does not) call TMO or whoever you have service with, and get an unlock code from them...this should not be a problem as they should have records as to which type of T600 you bought. NOt a big deal

rob
    And just to round out RobM's thoughts... if you happened to have hacked the locking in the past and are bypassing the lock, your phone will again be locked when you run the updater.
    Global Posts
    478 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Poryphyron
    And just to round out RobM's thoughts... if you happened to have hacked the locking in the past and are bypassing the lock, your phone will again be locked when you run the updater.

Thanks Poryphyron, I should have mentioned that too.

rob
    Quote Originally Posted by RobM
    Here is the Simple answer. The upgrade will NOT lock your phone (assuming it is not locked to begin with). The firmware does not make any changes to this part of the code. If it does (although it does not) call TMO or whoever you have service with, and get an unlock code from them...this should not be a problem as they should have records as to which type of T600 you bought. NOt a big deal

rob
    Thanks.

If it does lock, and I purchased my phone via PalmOne website directly, and selected "Other GSM Phone" (not US carrier related), who should I call to get unlock phone?

I know TMO would give it to me by asking my IMEI. But I am allowed (techically) to request an unlocked code for every 90 days. I would not be my fault to set the phone back to locked if I ran the updater.

Would PalmOne take care of it if the update process goes wrong (such as it set the phone to SIM locked).
    Seems to work just fine (just finished install ~5min ago)

Here's what I did:

- Hotsynced

- Installed Tokenwriter.prc ( http://treshaut.free.fr/resources/TokenWriter.prc )

- Hotsynced

- Un-branded my phone by issuing the command "write crnm INT" and then pressing the "enter" key in tokenwriter. Waited a few seconds for confirmation that the token was written. I'm not sure that this is necessary, but I did it because the program said it would refuse to run if it wasn't the correct updater for my phone's brand.

- Ran updater.

It wasn't necessary to hotsync as much as I did (the updater hotsyncs your device before installing the new firmware). So far the only application that doesn't work is Klondike. This seems to be a know issue with updating. I'm about to reinstall it now. The aqua phone skin reinstalled automatically, as did the T-mobile branding (splash screens on wireless startup/shutdown, etc). My phone is now Software version Treo600-1.12-ROW, Firmware: 03.05, Hardware B. I assume it is still locked (it was before). I haven't noticed a difference in speed in connecting to GPRS and in pretty much all other respects it appears to be functioning as before.
    I have some serious issues with this update. I bought my phone from a local NYC dealer and was told that it was unlocked and it would work with any SIM card. I have no idea how they unlocked it or if it came that way. The box it came in has an ATT sticker, yet I use it just fine with my TMobile SIM card. The software version installed is Treo600-0.0-921-02.0 with firmware 2.09. So what update do I use? And do I run the risk of un"unlocking" this phone? What are my bail outs if it does get "relocked"? This forum has been very helpful, but I am still very confused. Thanks
    Finally! After downloading the Cingular update from mytreo.net, i have the update and everything is working perfectly. I did have to use Tokenwriter and set it to CNG first. Hopefully it is still unlocked, can't check until i get to work in the AM, will update then.
    I just called Plamone to find out exactly what phone I have. They confirmed my suspicions that I have an ATT version which must have been unlocked by the wireless store where I bought it from here in NYC. I will continue to follow these threads to see how people deal with similar issues. My goal is to be able to update the firmware on this ATT phone and use it on Tmobile.
    PalmOne support definitely does not issue unlock codes for any reason. I asked them about it. It is always issued by the carrier - the palmOne agents dont have access to the codes. These are given to the carrier when the phones are shipped to them in bulk.

In short, if you have an ATT phone that is locked to ATT, you have to call ATT to get it unlocked. No one else has access to the codes. Of course, if you bought the phone in some odd manner such as eBay or from a friend, you may have no way of knowing the original carrier esp. if the ROM had been hacked and you don't see a carrier splash screen. This is a no-win scenario.
    Thanks for the response. You are right about the palmone guys not having access to the unlock codes - they said no way! I think that it will be hard to convince ATT to issue me an unlock code without ever having service with them. I guess I have 3 choices : don't change a thing, upgrade to 3.04 or wait until someone figures out how to use 3.05 and keep it unlocked.
    Global Posts
    478 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by avidal
    Thanks for the response. You are right about the palmone guys not having access to the unlock codes - they said no way! I think that it will be hard to convince ATT to issue me an unlock code without ever having service with them. I guess I have 3 choices : don't change a thing, upgrade to 3.04 or wait until someone figures out how to use 3.05 and keep it unlocked.
    Did you buy yours unlocked via unlock code or is yours unlocked via a hacked firmware...

rob
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast