DB Export: 152%
    DB Import: 399%
    Record Access: 326%
    Resource Access: 320%

VFSMark: 289
    http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=49675

Thanks,
    Peter
    Yeah the Treo sucks for SD performance....look at these benchmarks that I've been doing on my Zodiac:

http://www.emuboards.com/invision/in...howtopic=12144
  3.    #3  
    Here are the numbers for my new 600, new 1.20 firmware, and a new SanDisk Ultra II 512MB card:

File Create: 506%
    File Delete: 357%
    File Write: 80%
    File Read: 169%
    File Seek: 406%
    DB Export: 214%
    DB Import: 433%
    Record Access: 338%
    Resource Access: 333%
    VFSMark: 315

Thanks,
    Peter
  4.    #4  
    Using the CardSpeed measure - from http://www.audiost.com/cardspeed.zip - on this SanDisk Ultra II 512MB card:

8k chunks:
    read: 639375 bytes/sec
    write: 218453 bytes/sec

32k chunks:
    read:672164bytes/sec
    write: 275941 bytes/sec

Thanks,
    Peter
    Quote Originally Posted by phandel
    SanDisk 512MB normal:
    VFSMark: 214

SanDisk 512MB Ultra II:
    VFSMark: 289
    So can you play movies recorded with MovieRec from the Ultra II without noticable diff's from playing from RAM?

I get video/audio hiccups playing from my generic 256Mb MMC (rated at 210 from VFSMark) that I do not get playing it back in RAM.

I am wondering if I buy the 512Mb Ultra II, will it make a difference? Or should I just spend 50% less on the normal 512Mb SD?

Thanks.
    yep.
  6.    #6  
    For reference, a Palm-branded 32MB card:
    File Create: 49%
    File Delete: 91%
    File Write: 18%
    File Read: 175%
    File Seek: 421%
    DB Export: 10%
    DB Import: 446%
    Record Access: 358%
    Resource Access: 342%
    VFSMark: 212

8k chunks:
    read: 655360 bytes/sec
    write: 17418 bytes/sec
    Quote Originally Posted by krock
    So can you play movies recorded with MovieRec from the Ultra II without noticable diff's from playing from RAM?

I get video/audio hiccups playing from my generic 256Mb MMC (rated at 210 from VFSMark) that I do not get playing it back in RAM.

I am wondering if I buy the 512Mb Ultra II, will it make a difference? Or should I just spend 50% less on the normal 512Mb SD?

Thanks.
    No, it is still bad on mine with the ultra II card. Sound drops out so badly it's almost impossible to understand and the video is a series of jerky chopped images. But works and sounds fine in RAM. Much faster for backup speed though. i wonder if the SD implementation is really bad on the Treo or something.
    Have you tried any experiements on speed with a freshly formatted, empty card against one with data files on it? Per my other thread (in the wrong forum!) I am seeing different speeds out of the speedtest program when running after formatting and then after doing a 10MB backupman backup to the card...
  9.    #9  
    No, I haven't, although some have theorized that fragmentation will lead to slow-downs. I don't know enough about SD cards to understand the ramifications of fragmentation or other factors that would slow down a [semi-]full card.

Thanks,
    Peter
    I don't see how there could be fragmentation after formatting the card, testing it, then writing a 10MB backup to the card (256MB card, BTW). I guess the controller in the card could be writing the file in some bizarre way...or perhaps there is some strange physical phenomenon where it is faster to write files to the beginning of the memory space than to a location further away, although that too sounds farfetched.

I suspect it is a combination of the way the Treo handles the I/O, combined with the way the card handles the I/O, combined with how the speed test program actually measures the speed...it may be that the speedtest program is not reporting accurate results, although Idoubt that.
    The CardSpeed bandwidth numbers in this thread seem to indicate that the SDIO interface is <650KBps. That's less than 5Mbps. Doesn't that bottleneck rule out serious WiFi use, which starts at 11Mbps (at 802.11b) and goes up to 54 or even 110Mbps? Perhaps all the clamor for a WiFi SDIO card is worthless, and we are really just waiting for a 1Mbps Bluetooth card.
    Quote Originally Posted by robguz24
    No, it is still bad on mine with the ultra II card. Sound drops out so badly it's almost impossible to understand and the video is a series of jerky chopped images. But works and sounds fine in RAM. Much faster for backup speed though. i wonder if the SD implementation is really bad on the Treo or something.

Cool, thanks for the timely info. I was getting ready to purchase the Ultra II from newegg for $138 (-$25 MIR), but maybe I will go with the $99 "regular" model after all (also with a $25 MIR). I just tested another tip - setting the MovieRec quality to 10 plays back fine from my 256Mb MMC card, although I am not quite sure what that means in terms of the actual movie quality change.
    yep.