1.    #1  
    Folks,

I have installed and tried this _free_ product from Sprint over the last few weeks, and I love it. It gives corporate users all the advantages of a blackberry on the Sprint Treo. As it works…

1) All e-mail is "pushed" to your Treo from your IMAP Corporate server (in my case Exchange/Outlook).

2) You get notification of new e-mails as they come in -- in most cases within 1 minute or so.

3) The Palm Client supports most Treo specific features (nav dial, forms, vibrate or ring settings) perfectly.

4) The Palm client is a nicely written app, and very slick. The only complaint I have is that it doesn't provide active web links in e-mail that can launch blazer (you must cut and paste).

5) It does impact battery life since all pushed e-mail is done via the data connection. But I generally receive 500+ spams a day (same e-mail for 9 years), and the battery is still good for the day.

6) There is also a Sprint web interface that supports WAP and full browsers that essentially gives the same functionality as Outlook Web Access (which we also have).

7) Finally, when my laptop connects to the Exchange server, it pulls all e-mails off the server and deletes the Inbox from the Treo (since my laptop is configured to pull all e-mail off the server). This is perfect road warrior solution. If you send e-mails from the Treo or delete Spam, they show up in the sent items and deleted items on your server, and this syncs to your laptop when you next connect.

For me, this is better that Snapper mail (which I love and used before) since it is active in the background all the time.

I am surprised that more people haven't raved about this. What does everyone else think?

Glenn
    You'll see more posts about it in the Communications software and Sprint forums. I use it too and like it.
    I also use it & depend on it. For my purpose, it's exaclty what I requrie.
    I thought you had to leave a desktop system running on your network at the office to use the personal edition. Has that changed? I usually have my laptop (which is also my desktop) with me, or at least not connected to the network in the office.
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    I thought you had to leave a desktop system running on your network at the office to use the personal edition. Has that changed? I usually have my laptop (which is also my desktop) with me, or at least not connected to the network in the office.
    When (if) you require the full BC package potential - yes. For file sharing, sync w/MS Outlook, etc. If you do not run a "primary" / "constant-on" system, BC can recieve email from most sources, such as a pop3 server. I too have my laptop available and use BC as described by Glenn_Butler, for a "heads-up". Responding via the Treo is helpful, at times, as is a telephone response. But my data, etc. and full email potential is with my laptop. I also use Sprint's PCS Laptop AirPrime 3200 => if a data connection is available for the Treo, I can use my laptop.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    I have been using Personal Edition for some time and it seems to be working quite well for email pushed from the exchange server at the office. I looked at the documentation available and it looks like I should be getting my "Contacts" and "Calendar" information also but I do not see it )on the Treo 600). Any ideas of what I might need to do?
    Quote Originally Posted by ralerner
    I have been using Personal Edition for some time and it seems to be working quite well for email pushed from the exchange server at the office. I looked at the documentation available and it looks like I should be getting my "Contacts" and "Calendar" information also but I do not see it )on the Treo 600). Any ideas of what I might need to do?
    What happens when you click on the contacts or calendar icons in Business Connect on your Treo?

Do you have Outlook's contacts and calendar set as your default items? If not this may be why it's not working. You can check this by going to your computer's control panel. Then "Internet Options." Then click on the "programs" tab. Make sure under the two drop down menus for contact list and calendar that Microsoft Outlook is selected.
    Have been using SPCS BC PE for well over a year, but there is no calendar support for Exchange or any other platform. Where are you seeing calendar support?
    LOL.

You know you're absolutely right. I must have had a loss of brain activity moment.

Only Contacts, no calendar.
  10.    #10  
    Everyone,

I should have explained the way I configured this better since I only use a laptop and am off the network for most of the time when I travel.

I took an old PC in our office, and set it up to monitor my e-mails and "push" them to the TREO. It is on at all times, and this is where SBC-PE is running.

My laptop is configured to download (and delete) all e-mail off the server and deliver it into my local Outlook PST file when it connects.

This is why it works so well. When my laptop is offline (while I travel) all e-mail is "pushed" to the TREO. When I connect with my laptop, everything in the inbox comes down to the laptop and gets deleted from the server (and from the TREO, since it sees the server’s folders via IMAP).

Manually, I can copy the server's mailbox Sent Items, Deleted Items, Drafts, etc (this only comes from Outlook Web Access or from the TREO) to my local .PST when I have time.

It is a beautiful solution because everything you delete, reply to, or forward can be synced up to your main .PST file with a few drags and drops.

Also, the TREO never "accumulates" mail. It just shows you the stuff since your laptop went off the network.

This is a _remarkable_ solution for a road warrior who wants to get e-mails in real time, have an audit trail of what he sent, and eventually wants to have all correspondence on the laptop.

Glenn