1.    #1  
    I did the firmware upgrade and was playing around with the new email app. It worked, and received a couple of rogue emails that had viruses on them. I deleted them from my HS, and purged them from the deleted folder. Norton had caught them on my PC when they came in, and quarrantined them.

Now every time I hotsync, it says that the virus was found on my system, in the _tmpbak_ folder which is created only during hotsync. The file itself doesn't show up and I can't locate it to purge it! I dont' want to have to rebuild my whole system, can someone help?

This is the warning I get from Norton on my PC:

C:\Program Files\Handspring\MYNAME\_TmpBak_\Email_libr_HsMp_BCCAFD63.PDB

Click for more information about this threat : W32.Netsky.P@mm

Any idea what DB file to delete, or how to defeat this?

thanks,
    yikes!!! better put norton antivirus on yer palm ($40)
  3.    #3  
    The virus was a PC virus, not a Palm OS one. It was incredibly frustrating to deal with, and worse than that - calling PalmOne just to tell them - the support guy told me I was wrong, literally said that "he was a 2nd year CS major and he knows a lot more about programming than I do, and it isn't possible".

what really happens is that the emails and attachments you have on your palm are not deleted and purged - they stay in the email db and are sync'd every time. The only way to currently get rid of them is to wipe out the whole db, which means a hard-reset and deleting the files from your PC. Not the most intelligent way of writing an email app.
    Quote Originally Posted by badkins
    The virus was a PC virus, not a Palm OS one. It was incredibly frustrating to deal with, and worse than that - calling PalmOne just to tell them - the support guy told me I was wrong, literally said that "he was a 2nd year CS major and he knows a lot more about programming than I do, and it isn't possible".

what really happens is that the emails and attachments you have on your palm are not deleted and purged - they stay in the email db and are sync'd every time. The only way to currently get rid of them is to wipe out the whole db, which means a hard-reset and deleting the files from your PC. Not the most intelligent way of writing an email app.
    then what is the purpose of antivirus for handhelds???
    Are people still experiencing this problem? Does anyone have a solution. It' more of an annoyance than anything else - just need to click 'ok' on the Norton antivirus software everytime after I do a hotsync. But still a solution would be good.
  6.    #6  
    You need to get in and delete all the mail db's out of both the handheld, as well as the backups folder on the PC. Once you do that, you should be OK.

Just make sure you only delete those files and not others since they'll be wiped away from both sync sources.

If that doesn't work, then use a backup program - I use Botzam. First, back up everything on your palm to the backup program (I use an MMC card to back to). Delete the mail files from Botzam, then delete the files from the PC. wipe the treo entirely, and restore it without the email files. Make sure they are also gone from the PC and you should be free from that stupid virus.

I called Palm software folks and they didn't seem to care about this as a prob.
    I just deleted the mail db off my treo and now when I hotsync I don't get the damn virus popping up any more. Thanks for the help.
    The virus signature was probably being stored verbatim in the UU Encoded text of the mail inside the Mail PDB file. The virus scanner sees the PDB file, scans it and rightly raises a warning. The virus is quite safe inside the PDB file unless you forward the mail to someone. It is an annoyance until you get rid of it. The signature may even remain inside the PDB file if you delete the email as the file may only be marked for deletion rather than actually purged.