1.    #1  
    I have a lousy 256MB Sandisk SD card that isn't working very well with Audacity because it has very poor write speed. I am considering buying one of the new Sandisk Ultra II SD cards with the 9 Mb/sec data transfer rate. My question is, will this work on my Treo 600 any better than a normal PNY 256 SD card or some other brand other than the lousy Sandisk that I have. Can the T600 really take advantage of that smoking-fast read/write speed or am I wasting my money.

Thx.
    -Gadgetpro
    At some point the bottleneck will be how fast the Treo can write, and not how fast the card can be written to. I thought someone had mentioned that limitation in the last day or so (probably in reference to writing video to the card directly), but I couldn't find the post in any of the recent MovieRec or other threads. I'm hoping my newly order 512MB Sandisk card will be "fast enough".
    I tradedm messages with Audacity and they indicated that 32x speed cards would be sufficient and leverage their fastest write speed in the Treo.

That said, I can't even get the Personal or Pro versions to work on my Treo (1.20 firmware). I have set it to use internal memory and I have more than 6MB free, but anytime I try to record I get an error message...both versions...Error #8388:Append Stream Create...whatever that means.
    Global Posts
    478 Global Posts
    Its funny, I was just about to write a similar request for info since I tried the Audacity recording with much frustration in recording directly to the SD card. I use a Kingston card that I got real cheap and didnt think that the card speed would be an issue, but then again, I was only looking at for pure storage and not to read directly from it for any type of playback.

I would be interested to see what the outcome is.

I'll be watching......

rob
    Writing audio directly to the card takes a pretty fast card. The 32X cards work well. The higher the record quality the more the data that needs to be written. PCM 16 is twice the data as PCM 8. Audacity has a free utility call Card Speed. www.audacityaudio.com
    I just got one of the 32x cards and there is an interesting phenomon going on with it. When I put it in the Treo and format it, then run the speedtest utility, it reports "Card Speed is Excellent Use any record setting"

After I run backupman and do a single backup, then rerun the speedtest, I get "Card Speed is OK Avoid >11KHz PCM".

Seems pretty strange to me that the card speed is somehow dependent on whether or not there are other files on the card. Can anyone else reproduce this? Thoughts?
    I think it's not the card speed, but the Treo I/o that's the issue. Reports in another thread by Ryan Rife (the creator of MovieRec) say that the Treo 600's I/O to the SD card is only one-third to one-half the speed of other similar devices. So an ultra-speed card is unlikely to make a difference. You can use VFSMark to accurately check the speed of all SD card I/O operations.
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
    I'm aware that the Treo's SD I/O is not able to take maximum advantage of the fastest SD card speeds. I assume that a 32x card can be written to faster than the Treo can write to it. I don't see how that explains why the speedtest reports very fast write speeds to a freshly formatted SD card, but slower speeds after writing a single 14MB file to the card and rerunning the test...???
    I sent a message to Audacity to see what they thought might be going on, here's their answer:
    Our cardspeed test only reports the average of several readings of write / read operations. The SD card has its own built in mechanism for handling the I/O operations. It could be an idiosyncrasy of the way in which the card's own controller functions.

Audacity Audio
    Can someone else see if they can duplicate this with a different card...format it, cardspeed test it, do a Backupman backup, and retest?
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetpro
    I have a lousy 256MB Sandisk SD card that isn't working very well with Audacity because it has very poor write speed. I am considering buying one of the new Sandisk Ultra II SD cards with the 9 Mb/sec data transfer rate. My question is, will this work on my Treo 600 any better than a normal PNY 256 SD card or some other brand other than the lousy Sandisk that I have. Can the T600 really take advantage of that smoking-fast read/write speed or am I wasting my money.

Thx.
    -Gadgetpro
    The Ultra II cards are way faster when it comes to writing to card. With MovieRec, when I save a 10 second video footage into my regular SanDisk 256MB card, it takes 1 minute to completely save. Too long for me. However, if I save a 10 second video footage to my 512 Ultra II card, it only takes 20 seconds to completely save. Love it!

EDIT: 3 minutes to save on my Panasonic SD card.
    Last edited by TR30; 05/26/2004 at 02:57 PM.
    I just tried a new SanDisk Ultra II 512MB card on the Treo. In the CardSpeed test it writes about about 3 times faster than the Lexar 32X SD card which was previously the fastest. The read speed was about 10% faster.

In Audacity Pro it recorded 22khz PCM files directly to the card with no problem. I may change the program to try 32khz and 44.1khz audio also.

I did put some files on the card and repeat the test and it was still fast. I have some theories on why the card speed changes depending on the files on the card as reported by Wiscer, but will have to do some experimentation. This problem may be a lot worse on certain SD cards than others.

Wiscer, are you still getting the #8388 error from Audacity? This indicates that when Audacity asks the Palm OS for an audio stream from the microphone the Palm OS returns an error. You get this error on devices that don't support the new audio features of Palm OS 5 and on devices that do not have a microphone. (And on a Treo before the upgrade) Another possible reason is that a program opened the microphone and did not close it properly, possibly due to a crash. A soft reset (reset hole poke) will clear up the problem if that is the case.

Tom Harrah
    Audacity Audio
    See my thread over in the SDIO forum, which is where this thread belongs :-)

http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=50633

I think especially important are the CardSpeed read/write measurements.

Thanks,
    Peter
    Quote Originally Posted by PyroGuy
    Wiscer, are you still getting the #8388 error from Audacity?
    Tom Harrah
    Audacity Audio
    No, apparently the 1.20 upgrade I did the first time didn't complete properly...although the phone info page indicated it was running 1.20, when I went and did the upgrade again after disabling a couple of apps first, it went "as expected" and the problem went away...so it was simply a bad upgrade that was causing the problem.

Thanks for asking though!
    FYI and in addition to the above, I have a 256Mb Sandisk Ultra II in my Treo right now and it works fine.