Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    guys i need some help from you all... have quite some minutes available on my ATT plan and want to use my treo600 to make a dialup connection once in a while to send / receive email

what i am looking for is how to use my regual minutes and be able to surf the web or use an app that can connect to the web and get/send data

any how-to docs/threads/apps where i can read would be mucho appreciated...

TIA

RC
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    Go to preferences, then network then hit menu and then hit "NEW"
    you will see a drop down. Select "wireless dialup" under connection. Go through the prompts and setup your user name and password and then the phone number for your ISP dialup. When you're all done, just hit the connect button. If you are successful it will show connection and you will see BLACK two way arrows instead of the usual yellow ones. I am using the treo for t-mobile and it definitely works! Lemme know how it goes.
    drmrw on a treo 600 gprs t-mobile

"One out of 3 people has two people standing next to them..."
  3.    #3  
    i tried the same thing and when i hit connect it sits there thinking and goes away without any errors and i dont see the black arrows. any clues...
    Same here. Tried it, set up a login script per my ISP's instructions, but no connect ever works. I called Palm, they said this capability had been disabled in the Treo600.
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
  5.    #5  
    will using pdanet help??? also another question that comes to mind is when/if i succedd to setup this connection will AT&T be able to diffrenciate this connection and charge me for minutes or for DATA cause if they are going to chanrge be by the data then that completely defeats the purpouse....
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    I don't know why it doesn't work for you guys it worked fine for me. Clearly it hasn't been stripped from the treo (or i got a prestripped unit) has anyone else tried this with a bellsouth ISP? I just tried it again and it worked just fine. Although when i check my email it checks it then automatically terminates the connection. The web browsing worked just fine, so its a mystery to me. I also launched AOL and it signed on through the dial up as well no problem. All i can figure is that its something with the ISP's and their protocols? One other person in a related thread said they could do it as well.
    Last edited by drmrw; 05/17/2004 at 02:18 PM.
    drmrw on a treo 600 gprs t-mobile

"One out of 3 people has two people standing next to them..."
    I'm on Cingular, it does not work for me. too bad, I have unlimited nights & WE. I hope someone will find a definitive answer to this.

Firmware 02.12
    Software Treo600-1.11-CNG
    Actually, I got it to work. I did like "DRMRW" said.

The issue Was : I had to call Cingular CS to get them to unblock some Ports (blocked by default, it seems), and that's it. It's working great now.
    Quote Originally Posted by shneor
    Same here. Tried it, set up a login script per my ISP's instructions, but no connect ever works. I called Palm, they said this capability had been disabled in the Treo600.
    I have two ISP accounts set up on a Treo 600 on T-mobile. I only use them when GPSR is out but that is often enough to assure me that they both work.
    Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    I have Cingular with ALLTEL ISP account and it works fine for my Treo (GSM). I checked my cell bill and the minutes that I am connected to the dialup account are just minutes, not data. I have lots of nights and weekend minutes as well and leverage those with my dialup ISP account rather than utilize data KB on the GPRS data blocks, unless I need faster connect speeds, then I use the GPRS connection.
    I'm unable to get "wireless dialup" to work, and I'm on Cingular.
    I've searched and it seems a lot of people have this problem.
    I have Media Works unlimited (GPRS.) I did notice that when they activated Media Works (Wireless Internet Express aka GPRS) my (Wireless Internet aka CSD was disabled.
    Do you have to also have CSD working in order to make a "wireless dial-up" connection work. I called cingular and got some crap about "GPRS is the newer faster data conneciton, the other one used your minutes and that type of connection is going away" so I was unable to convince her to re-activate CSD.

Is there something I have to have Cingular enable or ublock in order to get the wireless dial-up to work? In my case I hit connect and it just comes back with nothing after about 3 seconds, still not connected. I know I'm not the only one.
    I'm trying to conect to an earthlink dail-up account.
    I'm on ATT wireless, and I followed the tip above looking under preferences and connections. The options I get are the following:

virtual modem
    standard modem
    cradle/cable
    IR to a PC handheld
    Custom

I can't find wireless dialup

Any other suggestions on how to make this work?
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurokitty
    I'm on ATT wireless, and I followed the tip above looking under preferences and connections. The options I get are the following:

virtual modem
    standard modem
    cradle/cable
    IR to a PC handheld
    Custom

I can't find wireless dialup

Any other suggestions on how to make this work?
    Wrong preferences. You are looking for preferences, network, service, menu, new, connection (drop-down), wireless dial-up.
    Quote Originally Posted by rcgroup
    will using pdanet help??? also another question that comes to mind is when/if i succedd to setup this connection will AT&T be able to diffrenciate this connection and charge me for minutes or for DATA cause if they are going to chanrge be by the data then that completely defeats the purpouse....
    PDAnet works very well. It's probably the easiest to use, since there is no configuration involved; you pretty much install it, connect your treo to your laptop/pc, and hit Connect and that's it.
    I'm not sure how AT&T will charge you. I'd imagine that if you go the wireless modem route, you might be billed for minutes, since 'technically' you're making a call to a dialup number, while if you use PDAnet, you're using the existing data connection.
    This is just a guess, though... You might want to call AT&T about this.

-Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by shneor

I don't know about login scripts, which should be unnecessary, but the comment made that after you connect nothing happens--is what should happen. When you are in the NETWORK preferences and you connect from there, it is not always so obvious that you are actually online, blazer does not start. THe signs are small. Sometimes it seems like nothing happened.

Go to blazer and load it---hopefully you find out you're online by seeing an internet page load.

My understanding of PDA NET was that it was a way to turn your Treo into a modem for your desktop or laptop. But it shouldn't be necessary to use PDA NET just to create a dial up connection.
    If it doesn't have a slot for SDHC--I don't want it. Period.
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    Wrong preferences. You are looking for preferences, network, service, menu, new, connection (drop-down), wireless dial-up.
    Ok, thank you, I did find that.

I entered all the info for my dialup ISP- but when I go to connect, I get this sort of blank screen and it just seems to sit there... I am sure I must be doing something wrong because this seems pretty simple.
    The other problem I am now experiencing is that when I go back to connecting using Data the connection times out... and/or tells me the website cannot be found. HELP!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Squires
    ....My understanding of PDA NET was that it was a way to turn your Treo into a modem for your desktop or laptop. But it shouldn't be necessary to use PDA NET just to create a dial up connection.
    PDAnet is a way to connect your PC to your Treo and whatever the Treo is connected to. It will connect your PC to whatever network or service, Vision, GPRS, dial up, or other connection that your Treo is using. While it will use a wireless dial-up connection, that is incidental.

You do not need it to establish a dial up connection. To do that, go to preferences, network, service, menu, new; enter a name for the connection, e.g., the name of the RAS or ISP, pick the connection type from the drop-down menu, i.e., wireless dial-up, fill in your user name, i.e., your ID on the target system. You may enter your password; if you do not, you will be prompted for it at connect time. Enter the 11 digit number of the service (without punctuation). Click details, advanced. Be sure that the defaults are what your service expects. Optionally you may create a script to complete any handshakes expected by your service.
    Eurokitty,

Go under: >Preferences >Connections.
    Then pick either: >Virtual Modem or Standard Modem.

Note: If you pick Standard Modem is set to "cradle/cable" by default. To use it as a "modem" go under: >Preferences >Connections >Edit Connections. Pick Standard Modem then Edit. Change Via: >Wireless Modem.

Dave Lindberg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast