Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast
  1. afr
    Limoman, thanks for the suggestions. I noticed that my cradle doesn't snap into the base unit. I hadn't noticed whether or not it actually does -- although there is a tab on the base unit that disengages the cradle. I can actually take the cradle out without pressing that tab on the base unit. Sounds like something is not seating right.

I actually hadn't noticed that the speakerphone icon didn't appear when the phone was working right. I'll see if I can fiddle with the attachment to see if I can get it working again. I work with computers and know that things just don't stop working for a reason...however, with this firmware issue, who knows?

Again, thanks.
    Alan just emailed me that patch, and so far...good news...it works. Contact him for a copy.
  3. afr
    Yes, Alan just sent me the patch, too. He also told me that the portable keyboard needs to be turned off for the phone to work. I guess I knew that since when I got it installed I turned it off before I started using it. The keyboard also interferes wih
    I also got the patch from Alan and all seems to work as it is supposed to.....FINALLY. The only thing that is not working perfectly is that when I receive an incoming call my voice "echoes" to me. Not to the caller. Outgoing calls are fine. I have already told Alan about this. He thinks it may be a phone issue but is suprised it would happen with a CDMA phone. If anyone has any ideas....help would be aprreciated. But the patch works.......YEAH!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by jayrosenblum
    While Alan has been helpful with me on the phone none of his promises have ever been met.
    Well, Alan did follow through, didn't he? Also, remember that he is not the software developer and the ball was never in his court. It is as you said, he was being helpful. Clearly, he was just as frustrated as the rest of us.
    Ok,

I have read through all of your posts (very interesting) and am about to get a car kit for my Sprint Treo 600.

Now that the patch is out, what is the final word - would you do it, or make up you own home grown type of thing?

Also, I want to make sure the kit sold by PalmOne has the radio mute etc hard wire kit included. Can anyone shed any light on that?

Thanks for you help and comments.

Greg
    The kit is available with a hard-wire option. If you want the auto-mute of the car stereo, or if you want to use the car's speakers, you will have to get the more advanced ("car-talk") kit from car-kit.com (they're out of stock for the treo cradle however).
    Quote Originally Posted by GalenMD
    The kit is available with a hard-wire option. If you want the auto-mute of the car stereo, or if you want to use the car's speakers, you will have to get the more advanced ("car-talk") kit from car-kit.com (they're out of stock for the treo cradle however).
    The THB TrendTalk DSP unit has the hardwire option, auto-mute (if supported by your radio), as well as the ability to toggle between headset and hands-free. TreoCentral was selling them for $219, but hasn't had them in stock lately.

The THB CarTalk DSP model is similar, but doesn't have a speaker in the cradle and instead can be connected to an external 5 watt speaker, custom car harness, or SpeakerMutebox that tie into the car's radio speakers. ...cleaner install, better sound, at a higher cost.

I've got the TrendTalk DSP installed and working (now). The sound from the cradle is excellent on inbound calls (see below). None the less, I'm planning to buy the CarTalk DSP model for my other two cars. I'd be interested in comparisons, and lower cost sources than car-kit.com, if anyone knows of one. I was hoping TreoCentral might start offering them.

The only thing that is not working perfectly is that when I receive an incoming call my voice "echoes" to me. Not to the caller. Outgoing calls are fine.
    I'm experiencing this too. At first I thought it was just a noisy cell connection, but after making multiple calls in both directions I've come to the same conclusion. The "echo" is very slight, but noticable. The inbound caller's voice sounds like its coming through an overdriven speaker, but when I place the call to them it sounds fine.

Could DSP be a factor in this? I didn't think the DSP circuit was used by the Treo, so I'm curious if those of you without DSP are noticing this? If I remember correctly Jay bought the CarTalk model, or was it the CarTalk DSP? This may just be a red herring, but worth asking. Hopefully Alan will come through again on this too.
    I have the DSP. And I get the echo only when I receive a call (now that I can) and only when it is me speaking. The person who calls comes in very clear. I have made Alan aware of the problem. He thinks it has to be the phone because it works perfect on outbound calls both ways.
    He thinks it has to be the phone because it works perfect on outbound calls both ways.
    I also only experience this during inbound calls, and the person on the other end of the line doesn't hear a difference regardless. When Alan says he thinks it is the phone, does he mean he thinks it is a hardware problem? It seems to me that it is most likely something the new CarKitApp.prc patch is doing when it sets up the connection for an inbound call vs. an outgoing call. That is why I theorized that the noise canceling might not be getting activated properly by the software.

I'll do some more testing this weekend. I've only tried it with my patched rev.B Treo, so I will try my wife's non-patched rev.C Treo using the dock it after answer work-a-round, then patch it and test again. Once I have a better handle on this I'll post back, and contact Alan so he realizes it isn't an isolated problem. I'm still hoping some other DSP and non-DSP users will report in if they notice this or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by MMorrow
    Once I have a better handle on this I'll post back, and contact Alan so he realizes it isn't an isolated problem. I'm still hoping some other DSP and non-DSP users will report in if they notice this or not.
    That would be great. Alan think s I am the only one with the problem. Let me know your findings when you compare the two.
    I'm having the same problem, too.
    Let me know your findings when you compare the two.
    Conclusion: It is not the phone, but likely the new software causing this. I say this because I got the same results with both Treos in my TrendTalk DSP. Jay is right about it only happening when the car-kit user is talking, and only when the call is picked up while in the car-kit.

Prior to applying the patch and using the work around it does not occur. For that matter, even with the patch, if you answer the call using the work around method (i.e. answer undocked and then slide it down) the "echo" does not occur.

Alan did state that the update was a beta version, so hopefully that means that PalmOne hasn't closed the book on this yet. I will email my findings to Alan, so he can forward it on.
    Tried to find the car patch patch online, even tried THB's Website...no dice. (Don't trust P1's Website just yet.) Is there a URL that people can download the patch from?

Also, there are two THB (hardware) car kits: the one with the cigarette lighter and the install one. Does the patch work for both or just the install?
    The software is for the phone, not for the kit itself. It doesn't matter which version your using.

If you read above, you may see that there are still problems with this patch, so I would consider it a true beta version.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Quote Originally Posted by marcus
    The TrendTalk DSP (our hardwire version), includes a mute line for the stereo.

Later in the week we will also carry the VoiceTalk DSP, which offers a sound out port (for stereo speaker integration))
    Marcus, Any new on if TreoCentral you will be getting these?

Quote Originally Posted by MovieGene
    They installed the unit (VoiceTalk DSP) yesterday.
    The voice activation features do not work because the Treo does not have built in Voice Activation. ... I've spoken to THB and they are working on an application for voice dialing for the Treo 600.
    MovieGene or anyone else with the THB VoiceTalk DSP,
    Is THB still working on the voice dial application for the Treo 600?
    Quote Originally Posted by MMorrow
    For that matter, even with the patch, if you answer the call using the work around method (i.e. answer undocked and then slide it down) the "echo" does not occur.

Alan did state that the update was a beta version, so hopefully that means that PalmOne hasn't closed the book on this yet. I will email my findings to Alan, so he can forward it on.
    I also found these exact same results over the weekend. I emailed Alan this morning with my findings. It has to be the patch and not the phone. Everyone who isa experienceing this should also email Alan and we should see if PalmOne will fix this as well....hopefully it won't take as long as the first "patch". You would think PalmOne would have found this during testing.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Is the patch available from anyone but Alan Jarvis at THB? I have a call into him - I was an early complainer - but haven't heard back. I'd really like to get this fixed. (Perhaps not surprisingly, there's no suggestion of either a problem or a patch on the PalmOne website . . . )
    Quote Originally Posted by Robin
    Is the patch available from anyone but Alan Jarvis at THB? I have a call into him - I was an early complainer - but haven't heard back. I'd really like to get this fixed. (Perhaps not surprisingly, there's no suggestion of either a problem or a patch on the PalmOne website . . . )
    Alan is the source, since the patch is considered beta and he is providing the feedback to PalmOne. He has been extremely quick to respond to all of my past emails (even on weekends). However for immediate gratification, GalenMD has attached it to his last post.
    Geez I just got the TrendTalk Car kit casue i read Sprint supports this... I wish I head read this forum b4 buying it. I am sort of annoyed now. Is there any update as to when the patch will be out of beta? Also what's alan's email address, this way I can pipe in as well.
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast