Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast
    Just got off the phone with Alan at THB:

PalmOne has finally pinpointed the exact problem in their software. He is hoping for a solution by early next week.
    By the time Palmone figures this out, the new Treo with Bluetooth support will be out and I won't want to buy the THB kit. I may just wait for the new Treo, sell the 600, and buy a Parrot Bluetooth setup.

THB and Palm missed out big on this one. If they had gotten this working when Sprint released the phone in October, they could have sold a lot of units. The new treo should be able to work with any Bluetooth kit, and PalmOne has definetly lost credibility and THB should have been testing this new release with PalmOne so they have lost some credibility too. Why would Treo users want to trust any Palm branded accessories in the future.
    I agree on what lnichols said.

I mean, technology changes so much that the THB car kit hardware might be incompatible with the next generation of Treos--unless THB can make them backwards compatible. That would be the smart thing to do, form factor notwithstanding. In any case, I'll be keeping my T600 (Handspring version) for as long as it holds up.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    The way the THB kit is set up, if the new Treo doesn't fit, you should be able to replace just the cradle part which sits on top of the speakerphone mechanism (assuming they manufacture one that fits).
  5. afr
    I just had my car kit installed, knowing that there would be a good chance that the receive part wouldn't work normally. It does work, as others have pointed out, if the phone is released (simply squeeze the tabs -- don't remove the phone from the cradle), then reinserted. Calls out are fine. The installer spent more than a little time trying to figure out why there was no audio -- but they were trying to call the phone not call out from the phone. I figured that there were enough purchasers of the car kit to make it uncomfortable for PalmOne and provide enough pressure to get the software patched. Looks like this patch is imminent. The installation is great and puts the Treo at a level that is useful -- and visible to these older eyes.
    Quote Originally Posted by GalenMD

PalmOne has finally pinpointed the exact problem in their software. He is hoping for a solution by early next week.
    Anyone hear anything...it is now LATE next week?
    I spoke to Alan yesterday. I'm trying not to bug him too much.
    Believe me, he his also very frustrated at palmOne.
    He has no new information, but is still hopeful of an immediately available fix. He was hoping for a fix by today. I will call him again on Tuesday if we don't have anything by then.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts

Palm probably told him that a fix would be available early some week, and Alan misinterperted. This is very frustrating, and I hope palmOne realizes that they are likely to lose some very good customers. I've put up with a lot (my first 3 treos all had the network search issue, and each time I was without an operational phone for 3 days) and can no longer confidently say that my next phone will be a Treo.
    I spoke to Alan yesterday. I'm trying not to bug him too much.
    Believe me, he his also very frustrated at palmOne.
    He has no new information, but is still hopeful of an immediately available fix. He was hoping for a fix by today. I will call him again on Tuesday if we don't have anything by then.
    Just so you know I was calling Alan about a month ago and he was promising that palmOne would be coming out with a fix within a few days.
    Add me to the list of Sprint Treo 600 no incoming call speaker fraud. Man, am I pissed. It took me a month to get this thing, and about three weeks worth of waiting for a bracket I needed to install it...then, finally, it goes in this morning and now this crap. I've spent hours today trying everything I can think of to make it work, until I finally Googled this forum. This situation is outrageous. Not only am I demanding my money back, but I'm also demanding the cost of the bracket and installation.

Urrrrrgggggaaahhhh!
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    I'm another disappointed buyer - same problem. Very, very aggravating. I'll wait - a while, at least - for a fix, because I'm not yet ready to part with the Treo and a headset just isn't as good a solution. (Neither was having two phones, one installed in the car in addition to the Treo.) But I sure would like to see some consequences for PalmOne.
    I just realized that since I have the car kit installed, I will have to also pay to have it uninstalled...if I want to return it. Installation and deinstallion, including the mounting bracket should cost me about $300...plus the $199 plus shipping I paid for the car kit...and I'm looking at getting Treo to refund me over $500.00...

I can't *wait* to get someone at Treo on the phone tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by gilevans
    I just realized that since I have the car kit installed, I will have to also pay to have it uninstalled...if I want to return it. Installation and deinstallion, including the mounting bracket should cost me about $300...plus the $199 plus shipping I paid for the car kit...and I'm looking at getting Treo to refund me over $500.00...

I can't *wait* to get someone at Treo on the phone tomorrow.
    Just to clarify, Treo is the name of the device, not the company that makes it, that would be PalmOne. Didn't want to see you wasting hours trying to call the Treo Corp....

HTH,
    -Joe
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Something no one has mentioned here, I don't think, is the very poor sound quality of the car kit to the person on the other end. The gain control is good - it doesn't matter how loudly or softly you speak, it comes through at a pretty uniform volume - but the sound breaks up a lot, even with good signal strength. It's tolerable, but nowhere close to a headset. It's a classic convenience/quality tradeoff.
    I spoke with Alan at THB today and he says there's a patch from Treo, oops PalmOne, that works and he should have it tomorrow... Let's hope!
    ...to the nightmare of waiting for a PalmOne-based solution. I took newtreouser up on his pitch for his home-brewed car kit, at $60+/-, and I've gotta say, I'm surprised more of you guys haven't jumped on the bandwagon.

He's offering a solution that works TODAY, and while it doesn't have an entirely factory look, that's at least in part up to the install job.

I'm starting a new thread to discuss my experience with his kit. Feel free to join me in abandoning this one.
    Just spoke to Alan again. He has not received the patch yet, but thinks he'll have it by tomorrow. According to him, he will be the only one with the patch and he will distribute it to those in need. It will be posted later. Of course, when I get it, I will post it here.
  18. afr
    I posted above that I had the THB car kit from PalmOne installed in my car knowing that the incoming call bug was being worked on. The outgoing calls worked well for a week. However, yesterday the outgoing calls stopped working. That is, while the Treo dials the number, the voice at the other end of the line cannot be heard, nor can my voice. The phone does keep the number connected. I tried dislodging the phone from the cradle and re-inserting to get the voice connection. What happens is that while the phone is out of the cradle the voice connection is made. If I re-insert the phone back into the cradle, unlike on an incoming call when the voice connection is retained, on an outgoing call the voice signal is lost. The way to tell that all is not well is that the "speakerphone/cancel speakerphone" icon doesn't appear when the outgoing number is dialed by the Treo. When the phone is dislodged (just squeeze the two tabs at the bottom of the cradle to pop the phone up) the icon appears and the phone works normally -- although at that point it is not using the car kit, it is just using its own earphone or speakerphone speaker.

I sent an e-mail to THB asking for any assistance I can get on this. I also talked to Sprint about the whole car kit situation, without much help as you might imagine.

Have any of you car kit users had this happen to you?
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by afr
    However, yesterday the outgoing calls stopped working. That is, while the Treo dials the number, the voice at the other end of the line cannot be heard, nor can my voice. The phone does keep the number connected. I tried dislodging the phone from the cradle and re-inserting to get the voice connection. What happens is that while the phone is out of the cradle the voice connection is made. If I re-insert the phone back into the cradle, unlike on an incoming call when the voice connection is retained, on an outgoing call the voice signal is lost.
    I had a problem with my original cradle not making the proper connection when I inserted the Treo into it. I had to move the Treo into just the right position in order to hear any audio over the car kit. (Apparently the mini jack that plugs into the headphone slot on the Treo was not making a good connection.) THB was very helpful and quickly shipped me a new replacement cradle that worked fine. I'm not sure if this is what your problem might be related to or not, but thought I'd offer my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by afr
    The way to tell that all is not well is that the "speakerphone/cancel speakerphone" icon doesn't appear when the outgoing number is dialed by the Treo. When the phone is dislodged (just squeeze the two tabs at the bottom of the cradle to pop the phone up) the icon appears and the phone works normally -- although at that point it is not using the car kit, it is just using its own earphone or speakerphone speaker.
    Also, the speakerphone icon is supposed to disappear when the phone is in the car kit cradle. Or at least it does on mine.

Hope this helps.
    Just spoke to Alan again. He has not received the patch yet, but thinks he'll have it by tomorrow. According to him, he will be the only one with the patch and he will distribute it to those in need. It will be posted later. Of course, when I get it, I will post it here.
    While Alan has been helpful with me on the phone none of his promises have ever been met.
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast