Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 209
  1. #121  
    Quote Originally Posted by eaclark
    I just added the car kit and am please except for one problem. There is an external antenna for this kit and to work the rubber plug must be removed from the back of the phone just below the antenna to allow the contact with the external antenna in the cradle. My problem is that I now seem to have less signal strength when I take the phone out of the car. Was there some vital part that would require I put the plug back in when not using the car kit? Has anyone else experienced this problem, or perhaps it is just Sprint's signal where I am. I used to get 3 bars on my meter and now just get 1 to 1 1/2 bars.

    Are you sure that is your only problem? Are you able to answer incoming calls? If so, you are the first one. (See the rest of this thread.)
  2. JoeSam's Avatar
    Posts
    88 Posts
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    #122  
    Quote Originally Posted by newtreouser
    OK, I just took some pics outside for better lighting.

    The "car kit" jpg shows the adapter harness that you buy from me. The "car kit all" jpg shows the adapter harness and the rest of the stuff you will need that you will have to supply.

    On the left is the iRock FM transmitter and the cassette adapter (pic shows the cassette adapter plugged into my adapter harness. You will need one or the other depending if you have a cassette deck in your car or not.)

    Top middle of the pic shows the toggle switch which selects MP3 stereo playback or phone mode.

    The bottom of the pic shows the mic/earset plugged into my adapter harness. You can use the mic/ earset that came with your Treo or any other mic/earset with a 3 band 2.5 mm plug.

    Having jacks that allow you to plug in different mic/earset and cassette/ FM transmitters is an excellent feature that allows you to change and replace them easily if they ever break (the wires on cassette adapters are thin and fragile and easily broken). You can also try different mics (which may sound sounds different to the person you're talking to), and aslo different cassette adapters or FM transmitters. For MP3 playback, I recommend a cassette adapter rather than an FM transmitter for best audio quality. For voice, either one works well.

    The right side of the pic shows my adapter harness plugged into my Treo. You can also plug in your car charger at the same time (not shown), there is sufficient clearance for that.

    In my car I have the Treo mounted at the instrument panel, the toggle switch is mounted below the dash, the mic is routed up to the visor wrapped around a semi stiff wire. When a call comes in, it rings through the car speakers, I flip the mic down, answer the call. Very easy!

    Or you can just plug everything together and not mount it so you can move it from car to car.

    I think my "car kit" will have superior sound quality compared to the THB unit simply because the car speaker is better (depending how good your car stereo is) than the integrated speaker of the THB. I was at a Sprint store yesterday and demonstrated it to the tech there and he said it sounds better than any car kit that they sell. My "car kit" also plays MP3 stereo which I do not believe the THB unit will do. And mine is a lot cheaper! My adapter is well built using quality materials with good strain relief at all the connections. I stand behind my product and will warranty it from defect in workmanship for one year- repair or replace at my discretion. If you are interested in a demo, e-mail me your phone number and I can give you a call at an agreed upon time.
    I have what may be a stupid question, but I'll ask anyway. I have an XM Radio with an FM Mod installed in my car. Would your harness work with that?
  3. #123  
    If your XM FM Mod (which I am not familiar with) can receive the 88 to 108 mhz FM band and play through your car speakers, then my car kit adapter will work. You will need to get an FM transmitter however and you can use the Treo mic/earbud as a mic. I have limited quantities of the adapter on hand so better order one now if you do not want to wait. My paypal account is my e-mail addr. $59 plus $5 USPS priority mail. If anyone wants a demo, email me your phone number and I'll call you from the car.

    Steve

    Quote Originally Posted by JoeSam
    I have what may be a stupid question, but I'll ask anyway. I have an XM Radio with an FM Mod installed in my car. Would your harness work with that?
  4. #124  
    Is there any news that anyone knows of regarding the problem with the Hands Free Kit?
  5. limoman's Avatar
    Posts
    273 Posts
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    #125  
    Quote Originally Posted by jayrosenblum
    Is there any news that anyone knows of regarding the problem with the Hands Free Kit?
    I spoke with Alan at THB last week regarding the Sprint issue. He felt very confident that Sprint would have a solution to the problem "any day now". When I pressed for a realistic timeline, he felt the problem should be resolved within the next two weeks. So we wait.
  6. Minsc's Avatar
    Posts
    967 Posts
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    #126  
    Are there any options to mount the car-kit to a vehicle's center console? There's very little room on my rig's dashboard to mount anything, so I'm just thinking about other alternatives.
  7. #127  
    RE: Carkit patch: I'm hoping the Treo 1.20 updater will be addressed as well.
  8. #128  
    Quote Originally Posted by Minsc
    Are there any options to mount the car-kit to a vehicle's center console? There's very little room on my rig's dashboard to mount anything, so I'm just thinking about other alternatives.
    Go to www.proclipusa.com and select your vehicle make, etc. They have a variety of options.
  9. #129  
    Jay,
    I read through your threads and my THB car kit for the treo 600 (sprint) has the same problem. I can't hear a caller on an incoming call. Very annoying.
    Have you found any software updates, had any luck with refunds, etc... ?
  10. #130  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbtreo
    Jay,
    I read through your threads and my THB car kit for the treo 600 (sprint) has the same problem. I can't hear a caller on an incoming call. Very annoying.
    Have you found any software updates, had any luck with refunds, etc... ?
    Right now the only fix is when an incoming call rings you have to disengage the phone then push it back down in the cradle and then hit answer. We have been told for over a month now that a "patch" is coming out soon although I don't like promises that aren't kept. I will be looking for a refund at the least if nothing happens soon that would include the cost of installation and deinstallation. At the most I would file a lawsuit against Sprint, PalmOne and THB for false advertising and see what happens.
  11. jselkowe's Avatar
    Posts
    20 Posts
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    #131  
    Well at least we know why there is still no bluetooth for the Treo. If it takes palm's programmers this long to fix car kit drivers, I would expect the bluetooth drivers to be right on scedule with the 2012 olympics.

    I haven't been using the carkit because if I can't answer my phone, it is useless. I had some safety concerns about their "fix" as you describe, but hell, if Palm says its ok, then we can sue them when we wreck our cars right? Maybe thats what they need to get moving.

    BTW, isn't it illegal in just about every state to knowingly advertise something that isn't true? Palm still claims the car kit is compatible with the Treo, and continues to decieve users into purchasing it. That's not right. They don't even have the decency to address that there currently a compatibility issue with the Sprint model on their site.

    I don't know about you guys, but I am losing both faith and respect for Palm as they have shown to be very irresponsible here.
  12. #132  
    palmOne is advertising that the firmware allows for the Car-Kit functionality. However, their site specifically states that the Car-Kit itself is only for GSM/GPRS phones. IMHO, this is still a problem because we are able to buy this kit through a 3rd party supplier.

    Clearly, palmOne is aware of this problem, since THB has been having multiple conversations with them about finding a solution. It is inexcusable that they did not spend the 2 minutes to update their website.

    In short, I believe that there is viable grounds for filing a lawsuit against palmOne, and possibly Sprint (depending on their agreement with each other). I doubt that THB can be held responsible, since they have always offered this same kit and have just been waiting for palmOne to fix their software.

    However, a "reasonable" time must pass before you can file a legitimate claim. If a solution is expected "shortly," then it may be here before you can get to court.
  13. #133  
    I believe the threat of a lawsuit and not an actual filing would help get the engines churning at Palm. Also, THB does say that their kit is compatible with the Treo 600. They certainly did not test it or they would have found the same thing we all have. I think very threatening legal letters to Palm, Sprint and THB would help. Is there a lawyer in the house?
  14. Minsc's Avatar
    Posts
    967 Posts
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    #134  
    Have all of you who have purchased the car-kit contacted PalmOne to go through their support channels? It sounds like a number of people have contacted THB, but I'm wondering if those same people are also working with/contacting PalmOne. I would assume PalmOne has a support structure like most companies, in that you would be given a "ticket" number, etc. I guess if it was me, I'd be hammering away on these people every other day looking for updated statuses, etc.

    Maybe y'all are already doing this, but if not I would get on them!

    I'm just an interested bystander in all of this as I was about to buy the car-kit until I saw this thread. I almost want to buy one anyway just so I can raise hell with PalmOne...
  15. #135  
    I am going through THB because I bought my kit directly from them after seeing the announcement on PalmOne's site.
  16. jselkowe's Avatar
    Posts
    20 Posts
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    #136  
    Quote Originally Posted by GalenMD
    palmOne is advertising that the firmware allows for the Car-Kit functionality. However, their site specifically states that the Car-Kit itself is only for GSM/GPRS phones. IMHO, this is still a problem because we are able to buy this kit through a 3rd party supplier.
    Actually, that's not true. If you go to palm one's site and click on Treo 600 > accessories > Car Kits, you get the following:

    Treo Installation Car Kit

    Drive safely with our hands-free car kit.The installation car kit is compatible with Treo™ 600 smartphones for Sprint, T-Mobile, Cingular Wireless, AT&T Wireless, and other GSM/GPRS networks worldwide.


    They distincly say that is compatible with Sprint which we know is not true, and they have known for over a month.
  17. #137  
    Whoops. I must have missed that. I think they changed it sometime this past week. That makes them even more liable!! They knew that the car-kit didn't work at the time they updated their website!!

    Minsc, I have attempted to call palmOne several times. They have either denied knowledge, sent me to Sprint, or sent me in circles. IMHO, palmOne does not have an exceptable support system.
  18. jselkowe's Avatar
    Posts
    20 Posts
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    #138  
    That's what I'm so outraged about. They don't even seem to acknowledge that a problem exists, and it is a universal one. As far as I know, not a single user has gotten the car kit to work successfully. That is unacceptable.
  19. #139  
    There are the makings of a good class action lawsuit here. IMHO, both PalmOne and TreoCentral have violated California Business & Professions Code sec. 17200 (unfair, fradulent or deceptive business practices).

    I make a good living off of companies how do dumb*&%# things like this. (I won't say which side.)
  20. #140  
    Has anybody here really tried to let palmOne know how we feel about this? I have not been able to get through. Also, I am a Verizon user and palmOne only allows me to get support through Sprint. Therefore, I can't get seem to be able to talk to anybody.

    As for me, I have not purchased the kit because I am waiting for the fix. However, one of the reasons I bought this phone is because I was told there would be a kit available.
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast

Posting Permissions