Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Another week begins with no news....
    I've been using my own "custom speakerphone MP3 car kit" on my Sprint Treo 600 for months now. It is an absolute joy to make and receive calls in the car and not have to hold the phone to your ear or use a earset. I use a cassete adapter and the audio quality through the car speaker is astounding! I have added an external mic so the person on the other end can't tell I'm on a speakerphone. There is no echo at all and it is full duplex. The firmware 1.20 update made it even better than before the update (not that there was much echo to start with in my design with the older 1.10 firmware). Another great feature is the switch I've added to select between MP3 mode and phone mode. It's great to be able to listen to excellent quality MP3 stereo through the car speakers, and if a call comes in, it rings loud and clear through the car speakers, flip the switch to phone, answer the call and talk handsfree. A real pleasure!

This past weekend, I talked for hours on the speakerphone on a 6 hour trip coming back from Virginia to CT on I-81 (excellent coverage all the way on Sprint btw)

If anyone is interested in getting one of my "custom speakerphone MP3 car kit", please send me an e-mail. I can do the installation for you if you are local (Fairfield CT).
    Hey guys,

I currently have mu audi hardwired for my old Verizon V60, which was great, because I was able to tap into the radio mute, and the speaker and microphone built into the car. Quality was loud and clear. Now that I have a treo (from work) I would rather replace the kit with the version for the Treo.

I understand there are problems with the current car kit, which will hopefully be addressed by a firmware upgrade. I ordered the PalmOne kit, which is the THB kit with the built in speaker (trendtalk). I would rather get the THB kit that allows me to tap into the car speakers (the car talk unit), but I'm not sure it will work with my Sprint Treo 600.

Has anyone purchased one of these? Does it work (assuming palm fixes the bug with the car kits in general? Or do I need to stick with the trendtalk unit?

Thanks!

-Todd
    Last edited by twelsch; 06/15/2004 at 12:11 PM. Reason: Add Title
    Quote Originally Posted by newtreouser
    I've been using my own "custom speakerphone MP3 car kit" on my Sprint Treo 600 for months now. <SNIP>
    If anyone is interested in getting one of my "custom speakerphone MP3 car kit", please send me an e-mail. I can do the installation for you if you are local (Fairfield CT).

I have emailed back and forth with newtreouser, and in fact, I had him call me from the speakerphone. It sounds fantastic. He was talking while driving with windows down and I absolutely could not tell. He then disconnected the custom speakerphone kit and spoke directly into the treo. I would say that the speakerphone kit sounded 90% as good as the Treo does normally, and there was no echo at all. Newtreouser has said that he will either email me and/or post pics tonight...if it looks good, I think I may buy one as a holdover until PalmONE gets their sh!t together...
    I would love to see pics Newtreouser.
    Does this have anything to do with our long awaited Sprint car kit update? I didn't drive my car with the kit today, so I can not test it until this evening, but I just received this message from Sprint via SMS:

Get a FREE PCS Service update by dialing *2 on your PCS Phone today. The update occurs while you listen to a brief message. Once completed, hang up!
    Quote Originally Posted by MMorrow
    Does this have anything to do with our long awaited Sprint car kit update? I didn't drive my car with the kit today, so I can not test it until this evening, but I just received this message from Sprint via SMS:

Get a FREE PCS Service update by dialing *2 on your PCS Phone today. The update occurs while you listen to a brief message. Once completed, hang up!
    Nope. That's just a PRL update...
    Quote Originally Posted by 02flhrci
    Nope. That's just a PRL update...
    You are correct. I re-tested the kit and ... no change.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Alan from THB was supposed to have another conference call with PalmOne today. I guess due to the lack of news, nothing productive happened. I find it really dissapointing that more than a month after the update was released, we still don't have what was promised to us. Moreover, PalmOne hasn't even made any sort of announcement regarding the kit, decieving people into paying $200 plus installation for a solution that doesn't work.
    Class action anyone? Or are we simply supposed to sit on our coattails until they get their act together...
    I would love a class action. I am sick of all this. I would put up a substantial amount of money to get a class action started or at least some very threatening lawyer letters.
    Quote Originally Posted by jayrosenblum
    I would love to see pics Newtreouser.
    I'll have pics up in about 2 hours. Running a bit behind schedule.
    I just got off the phone with Alan at THB. He stated that palmOne is aware of the problem and has made correction of this a high priority. He said "It should be a matter of days" for a resolution.

Newtreouser, I tried something similar, but could not get good results. I do not have a cassette adapter, so I used the iRock FM transmitter. I used the earbud supplied with the Treo and split the microphone and ear bud into new jacks for an external mic and the iRock. Unfortunately, the sound on the reciever's end was awful! I would like to see how you incorporated an external mic, and I may give it another try now that I have the upgraded firmware.

twelsch, I agree. I would much rather have the "Car-Talk" version so I can incorporate my car's speakers or plug in a privacy headset when needed.
    OK, I just took some pics outside for better lighting.

The "car kit" jpg shows the adapter harness that you buy from me. The "car kit all" jpg shows the adapter harness and the rest of the stuff you will need that you will have to supply.

On the left is the iRock FM transmitter and the cassette adapter (pic shows the cassette adapter plugged into my adapter harness. You will need one or the other depending if you have a cassette deck in your car or not.)

Top middle of the pic shows the toggle switch which selects MP3 stereo playback or phone mode.

The bottom of the pic shows the mic/earset plugged into my adapter harness. You can use the mic/ earset that came with your Treo or any other mic/earset with a 3 band 2.5 mm plug.

Having jacks that allow you to plug in different mic/earset and cassette/ FM transmitters is an excellent feature that allows you to change and replace them easily if they ever break (the wires on cassette adapters are thin and fragile and easily broken). You can also try different mics (which may sound sounds different to the person you're talking to), and aslo different cassette adapters or FM transmitters. For MP3 playback, I recommend a cassette adapter rather than an FM transmitter for best audio quality. For voice, either one works well.

The right side of the pic shows my adapter harness plugged into my Treo. You can also plug in your car charger at the same time (not shown), there is sufficient clearance for that.

In my car I have the Treo mounted at the instrument panel, the toggle switch is mounted below the dash, the mic is routed up to the visor wrapped around a semi stiff wire. When a call comes in, it rings through the car speakers, I flip the mic down, answer the call. Very easy!

Or you can just plug everything together and not mount it so you can move it from car to car.

I think my "car kit" will have superior sound quality compared to the THB unit simply because the car speaker is better (depending how good your car stereo is) than the integrated speaker of the THB. I was at a Sprint store yesterday and demonstrated it to the tech there and he said it sounds better than any car kit that they sell. My "car kit" also plays MP3 stereo which I do not believe the THB unit will do. And mine is a lot cheaper! My adapter is well built using quality materials with good strain relief at all the connections. I stand behind my product and will warranty it from defect in workmanship for one year- repair or replace at my discretion. If you are interested in a demo, e-mail me your phone number and I can give you a call at an agreed upon time.

Quote Originally Posted by newtreouser
    I've been using my own "custom speakerphone MP3 car kit" on my Sprint Treo 600 for months now. It is an absolute joy to make and receive calls in the car and not have to hold the phone to your ear or use a earset. I use a cassete adapter and the audio quality through the car speaker is astounding! I have added an external mic so the person on the other end can't tell I'm on a speakerphone. There is no echo at all and it is full duplex. The firmware 1.20 update made it even better than before the update (not that there was much echo to start with in my design with the older 1.10 firmware). Another great feature is the switch I've added to select between MP3 mode and phone mode. It's great to be able to listen to excellent quality MP3 stereo through the car speakers, and if a call comes in, it rings loud and clear through the car speakers, flip the switch to phone, answer the call and talk handsfree. A real pleasure!

This past weekend, I talked for hours on the speakerphone on a 6 hour trip coming back from Virginia to CT on I-81 (excellent coverage all the way on Sprint btw)

Attached Images Attached Images
    Very interesting. How much are you selling the harness for, and how long will it take for you to ship it?
    GalenMD,

$59 plus $5 shipping via US priority mail with delivery confirmation. I can ship one to you tomorrow if you paypal me tonight.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by GalenMD
    Very interesting. How much are you selling the harness for, and how long will it take for you to ship it?
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    newtreouser, did you get my PM?
    Minsc, no because I asked people to email me rather than pm. I'll check it now.
    I just added the car kit and am please except for one problem. There is an external antenna for this kit and to work the rubber plug must be removed from the back of the phone just below the antenna to allow the contact with the external antenna in the cradle. My problem is that I now seem to have less signal strength when I take the phone out of the car. Was there some vital part that would require I put the plug back in when not using the car kit? Has anyone else experienced this problem, or perhaps it is just Sprint's signal where I am. I used to get 3 bars on my meter and now just get 1 to 1 1/2 bars.
    E. A. Clark
    Quote Originally Posted by eaclark
    I just added the car kit and am please except for one problem. There is an external antenna for this kit and to work the rubber plug must be removed from the back of the phone just below the antenna to allow the contact with the external antenna in the cradle. My problem is that I now seem to have less signal strength when I take the phone out of the car. Was there some vital part that would require I put the plug back in when not using the car kit? Has anyone else experienced this problem, or perhaps it is just Sprint's signal where I am. I used to get 3 bars on my meter and now just get 1 to 1 1/2 bars.
    No problems here after removing the attenna plug on mine!
    GSM Treo 600 with Cingular
    New Avatar caused by:This Post