Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast
    You can reach Alan at techsupport@thb-usa.com.

Eli
    Eli Willner
    Here is the reply I got back from Alan in regards to some car kit related questions I had sent him last Sunday. I was extremely impressed at the speed of his reply ... less than 30 minutes, and on a Sunday afternoon. Now that is truely customer support!!!

---

On Jul 11, 2004, at 3:26 PM, Alan Jarvis wrote:

Hi Mark,

I have a bench set up with all 6 different base units (TrendTalk, TrendTalk DSP, CarTalk, CarTalk DSP, VoiceTalk DSP & DeskTalk DSP) that THB offers. I spent about an hour with my neighborís CDMA Treo and tested it in all 6 base units and it worked perfectly in all six. I also did a field test in my truck. In my truck I have a VoiceTalk DSP base unit and the field test passed as well. The answers to your questions are listed below in red.

Best regards,
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Alan Jarvis
    National Service Manager

---

Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2004 15:00:26 -0400
    Subject: Treo 600 Car Kit Support and general THB questions.

Thanks Alan. I am certainly grateful that I can now receive calls safely while in my car, I have full confidence that you and PalmOne will be able to figure out the cause of the small glitch I reported yesterday. Which model of THB car kit did you use when testing on your neighbor's phone, and does it have DSP?

Hopefully you have time to also answer three additional THB related questions:

1) My THB TrendTalk DSP has two jacks on the right side. Both look like headset jacks, but only the top one functions as such. Do you know what the bottom plug on the TrendTalk DSP is for?

If you are referring to the bottom plug on the right side of the base unit, it should be for a headset interface. Keep in mind I have never tested a headset on the TrendTalk DSP base units.

2) I want to purchase two additional THB car kits. These will be the third (and hopefully final) hardwired car kit I've had to buy. I love the fact that the THB system 8 doesn't lock me to a particular handset. Is it likely that THB will continue to supporting the next PalmOne phone with a cradle for the system 8 car-kit?

Yes

3) TreoCentral member and THB VoiceTalk DSP owner, "MovieGene" reported in May that he had spoken to THB and they were working on an application to support voice dialing on the Treo 600. Do you know if voice dialing is still being worked on for the Treo 600 when paired with the VoiceTalk DSP?

The Voice dial feature for the Treo 600 is still being looked at to be implemented into the VoiceTalk DSP base unit. If it will is yet to be known. As of today there is still no ETA on when or if it will be implemented.
    To those of you who are still waiting to get your THB car kit to work or who are thinking of buying a car kit, please consider my

MP3 /Speakerphone Treo 600 car kit

It is priced at less than half the price of the THB unit. In addition to being an excellent speaker phone, it provides MP3 stereo playback.

My MP3 /Speakerphone Treo 600 car kit is getting good reviews from TC members. You can read about it on this thread:

http://discuss.treocentral.com/showt...hlight=car+kit
    Thank You
    Twice since installing the patch I have had my Treo do a hard reset on its own and dump all data in memory. Both times, it suddenly lost its signal (on a heavily-travelled freeway in LA that ordinarily has a rock-solid signal, then spontaneously did a reset. Although it looked like a normal soft resent (i.e., I did not get the text message asking if I wanted to erase all data), the screen alignment program started running immediately after the PalmOne splash screen, and all my data and third-party programs were gone. I have never experienced anything like this before, and the Sprint upgrade, and then the patch, are the only software changes I have made in months.

I am alone in this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawcat
    I am alone in this?
    I've been traveling and using my phone heavily (out of the car kit), and have not experienced your hard reset problem.

My recent trouble has been connecting to retrieve mail, which was not a problem prior to the patch. This doesn't produce an error, just doesn't connect to my mail account, which appears to be a problem connecting to Sprint Vision. I must connect using the browser first, and if that doesn't work do a soft reset which always corrects the problem.

I upgraded to Pocket Tunes 3.0.1 Dlx and added LightWav 2.3 to my Treo recently, so my free memory is only 5.65M. With these changes and limited free memory I'm reluctant to pin this problem on the patch. Good Luck Lawcat. Is anyone else experiencing either of our problems?
    We're pretty sure this thing will work with the forthcoming Treo Ace, right?
    Off to iPhone land...
    Quote Originally Posted by MMorrow
    Conclusion: It is not the phone, but likely the new software causing this. I say this because I got the same results with both Treos in my TrendTalk DSP. Jay is right about it only happening when the car-kit user is talking, and only when the call is picked up while in the car-kit.

Prior to applying the patch and using the work around it does not occur. For that matter, even with the patch, if you answer the call using the work around method (i.e. answer undocked and then slide it down) the "echo" does not occur.

Alan did state that the update was a beta version, so hopefully that means that PalmOne hasn't closed the book on this yet. I will email my findings to Alan, so he can forward it on.
    So does anyone with a Sprint Treo and the "beta" car kit patch have a THB hands free that works pefect when a call is incoming? Where there is no echo. I still have the annoying echo of my voice when I answer an incoming call but the outgoing is perfect.
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jayrosenblum
    So does anyone with a Sprint Treo and the "beta" car kit patch have a THB hands free that works pefect when a call is incoming? Where there is no echo. I still have the annoying echo of my voice when I answer an incoming call but the outgoing is perfect.
    I do! I have the beta car kit patch, on a (PalmOne) Treo with Sprint service and it has been working without a problem since I applied the patch. Although my THB kit is not setup to mute the radio. (Wouldn't work with my radio due to the integrated radio/navigation system.) So maybe that's the difference.
    Hi, here's another Treo 600 user-
    Software 1.20,
    hardware C

I got the patch from Alan this morning, been using it all day long with no echo, no popping-out of the Treo required for proper answering. No odd operation, reboots, etc. It's a bit early to come to a conclusion, but as far as I am personally concerned, the problem is solved.
    I, too, have applied the patch and things seem to be working with no problems (and I too have bypassed the radio in favor of the internal speaker).

All in all I'm pleased with the unit, and especially pleased with the service - Alan is phenomenal.

The only eyebrow-raiser for me is the inability to use a headset with the unit. In my mind this is a basic feature that even low-end units are capable of. But, I guess I'll have to pop the phone from the car-kit if I want to use my headphones.

Eli
    Eli Willner
    Thanks for the replies. I also have the external speaker and the patch from Alan but I get a very annoying echo on all my incoming calls. And it is only when I am speaking to the caller and it is only my voice and the caller doesn't hear it but it makes it difficult for me to speak. Alan said he has heard other complaints but I am starting to think it may be my individual phone?
    Alan said he has heard other complaints but I am starting to think it may be my individual phone?
    I complained to Alan about this shortly after the patch came out, and confirmed it to be a problem on two different Sprint Treo 600s in my one car kit. It does seem odd that Jay and I seem to be the only ones with this problem. Alan said he couldn't reproduce this either.

Given this it makes me wonder if the defect is in our specific car kits or cradles? Why it would be a problem for outgoing calls only ... who knows. I wonder if the "echo" is the car kit's speaker and the treo's speaker amplifying the user's voice back slightly out of phase of each other.

I will contact Alan next week when I have more time. Please report back if you discover a fix.
    Quote Originally Posted by MMorrow
    I complained to Alan about this shortly after the patch came out, and confirmed it to be a problem on two different Sprint Treo 600s in my one car kit. It does seem odd that Jay and I seem to be the only ones with this problem. Alan said he couldn't reproduce this either.

Given this it makes me wonder if the defect is in our specific car kits or cradles? Why it would be a problem for outgoing calls only ... who knows. I wonder if the "echo" is the car kit's speaker and the treo's speaker amplifying the user's voice back slightly out of phase of each other.

I will contact Alan next week when I have more time. Please report back if you discover a fix.
    It is strange that it is just the two of us. Also it has gotten worse for me to the point where on most incoming calls I have to take the phone out of the cradle. Alan told me that he had 5 complaints. The workaround also doesn't help. So I am not sure what to do?
    Guys, I have been waiting and waiting for this kit and finally gave up. For those of you who have not purchased the THB (Palm) kit yet, I would strongly consider the one made by newtreouser. I have been using this regularly for a few weeks and love it. The main advantage is that I now listen to MP3's through my car's stereo. I never even considered playing MP3's on my Treo before I got this kit. I even bought a 512 MB SD card just so that I can load it up with more.
    Another advantage is that the system is totally hidden in my car. That THB kit (at least the car-talk version) is a really big, bulky unit.

The main downsides with this hand-made kit are that it will not charge your phone and that you have to either plug in a cassette adapter or use an FM transmitter and tune your stereo on to the right channel (does the antenna extender really matter?). I wish my stereo had an aux input.
    GalenMD,

My latest MP3/ Speakerphone car kit have audio coming out of both speakers while in phone mode (the one your friend Jon just received has this feature). You don't have to tune your stereo to the right channel in phone mode anymore. Let me know if you want to exchange yours.

Quote Originally Posted by GalenMD
    Guys, I have been waiting and waiting for this kit and finally gave up. For those of you who have not purchased the THB (Palm) kit yet, I would strongly consider the one made by newtreouser. I have been using this regularly for a few weeks and love it. The main advantage is that I now listen to MP3's through my car's stereo. I never even considered playing MP3's on my Treo before I got this kit. I even bought a 512 MB SD card just so that I can load it up with more.
    Another advantage is that the system is totally hidden in my car. That THB kit (at least the car-talk version) is a really big, bulky unit.

The main downsides with this hand-made kit are that it will not charge your phone and that you have to either plug in a cassette adapter or use an FM transmitter and tune your stereo on to the right channel (does the antenna extender really matter?). I wish my stereo had an aux input.
    Let me re-phrase that: the "correct" channel.
    It is strange that it is just the two of us. Also it has gotten worse for me to the point where on most incoming calls I have to take the phone out of the cradle. Alan told me that he had 5 complaints. The workaround also doesn't help. So I am not sure what to do?
    It's not just the two of you--I have the same problem as well.
    Last edited by Lawcat; 08/03/2004 at 08:36 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by cue79
    Personally, more intrested in this one : http://www.seidioonline.com/ProductD...D-SMGF1HSTR600

If I can plug a GPS into this bugger, then it becomes the ideal unit. PalmOne wants $200 for a car kit that simply a charger unit. While I like the fact that it can be integrated into the car, I'm on a lease so it doesn't matter to me

Anyone else? Any other solutions out there? GPS anyone?
    have you tried the siedio unit for voice quality? Can you talk back to the other party clearly?
    Quote Originally Posted by nclaude
    have you tried the siedio unit for voice quality? Can you talk back to the other party clearly?
    If you look closely, you'll see that the seidio kit is listed as "available soon." That's the way it's been for at least 6 months now.
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast