1.    #1  
    Ok, maybe it's just me but...

I just found this freeware application that seems like it is just what I've been looking for called Switch5. You can find it here on PalmSource.

It is discribed as:
    Switch5 is a PalmOS 5 preference panel which provides a simple way to switch between recently used applications. Think of it as a PalmOS 5 version of SwitchHack.
    Switch5 has two basic operations: (1) switch immediately to the previous app, or (2) select an app from a list of recently launched apps.

Configuration menus: (1) Activation: changes the method (silkscreen, hard key, toolbar) of activation....
    Problem is - I can't figure out how to make it work well on the Treo 600 since it doesn't have the graffiti silkscreen. Switch5 has an option to activate it via "Toolbar" and in the release notes for the latest version (4.2) it talks about

custom command toolbar buttons. Previously was using the system info buttons.
    But, what the heck are command toolbar buttons?

I'm sure I'm just missing something here. Can someone explain?

Thanks.
    You'll need an app like Graffiti Anywhere (freeware) or Butler to bring up the command toolbar.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by TR30
    You'll need an app like Graffiti Anywhere (freeware) or Butler to bring up the command toolbar.
    Thanks for the help/info. TR30. Although I still don't know what a command toolbar is.

I just downloaded Butler (v1.48) and installed it. Unfortanatly, it made my 600 continue to cycle on and then reset itself. AUGH! I had to do a warm reset to get it to stop and then delete Butler from my Treo. FWIW - I've tried past versions of TreoButler as well and had reset issues with it as well untill I uninstalled it.

So... I'll try Graffiti anywhere next.
    shut the Butler's alternative keyguard off. or set it to auto off at maximum i.e. 15 sec.

~nunuknanak
  5.    #5  
    OK. Well, while Graffiti Anywhere appears to be another great utility application for the Treo 600 (I've been missing the ability to use graffiti from time to time since I went to the 600), and I now understand what a command toolbar is - I'm right back where I started. I still have to use the stylus to be able to active Switch5.

I'd really love to be able to switch between applications by using only the keyboard.

Any other ideas?

Is it just me having problems with Butler? Seems like everyone always gives it great reviews.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by nunuknanak
    shut the Butler's alternative keyguard off. or set it to auto off at maximum i.e. 15 sec.

~nunuknanak
    Thanks for the tip. I would if I could but, when I hotsync Butler onto my 600 it immediately starts to cycle thru resets. When I warm reset and then try to go into Butler - it resets the 600 again and then starts to cycle thru resets again.
    Switch5 just doesnt sound like a good app for what your trying to do. McPhling would work better. You can switch to previous app just by holding down a button, and access a list of previous/common/preset apps by holding down another button. To use the Treo's buttons you have to use the 'Custom' setting, where it will ask you to press the desired button.
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, 1989
    Hey give mcphling a try it works great! no resets.
    Use custom and assign to your volume key down for prev. app and up for menu.
    I think you will find this works great.
    Sorry about the typing errors; I'm all thumbs.
    I use it all teh time and it works very well. Simpler than Hi-Launcher.
    McPhling will also let you launch DA's. These are small apps that run on top of the current app, allowing you to do things without switching apps. You can access memopad (daMemoPad), create todos (ToDoDA), calculator (TealCalc, CalCal), system info and prefs (CoolDAs, TealPrefs), a calendar (calescheDA), etc.

daMemoPad at the bottom of:
    http://www.jade.dti.ne.jp/~imazeki/palm/damepd.html

ToDoDA and CoolDAs:
    http://www.freewarepalm.com

CalCal is here, I very much prefer TealCalc (but $$):
    http://www.bea.hi-ho.ne.jp/kish/palm/palmware.html

calescheDA:
    http://www.hubo.co.jp/~taro2/
    Use the included csda_conf.prc to configure calescheDA to open Calendar (or Datebk5) when you tap on a day. Check the first checkbox and select the app from the first dropdown list. I dont know what the other options do.
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, 1989
  11.    #11  
    Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. McPhling is just what I was looking for. I've heard good things about it for years but always stayed away from any hacks in the past. Seems like this new version for OS 5 is a native application??? Either way - so far it is very stable and doesn't seem to be interfering with and other applications.

I've uninstalled Switch5.

lenman: You mentioned using the volume buttons to activate McPhling. That doesn't seem to work for me on my 600. Are you using McPhling on a 270/300 or am I just missing something?

I have it set up to activate when I press and hold UP on the 5 way navigator and its working great for me. I'll try it for a view days and if it's all good, I'll go pay $10 for it on Mike McCollister's web site.
    I was able to set it to the volume buttons, but IIRC I had to uncheck 'hold'.