Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Could the slow shutdown be related to the data connection? I noticed that just turning off the phone took the normal time, but when I had been using Blazer and then shutdown, the process took over a minute.
    Zane
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    same here. the slow shutdown has only happened to me twice, and each time I was connected to Vision while shutting down. could be a coincidence, but maybe not....
    Same here as well. Slow only after using Blzer, but it does not happen every time I use Blazer...
    My shutdown takes a while, but it seems only when I'm in an area with little or no reception. Perhaps it's trying to contact the towers to do some last minute cleanup, but since it can't reach them it times out after 60 seconds or so?
    "Oooh oooh aaah aaah! Slap!" - MAdMoNKEY
    Okay, here's a test that is repoducible on mine:
    Start Blazer (to connect to Vision)
    Leave blazer and go to Prefernces and then Network, and hit the disconnect button (from Vision)
    I get the same 2 minute 'hang' on my device
    I have the same issue with a slow 'disconnect' from the data network. If I go through the Network preferences, it seems to hang the phone for about a minute before the disconnection is complete. Once, I actually did a manual soft reset because I thought that my phone was stuck.

Another scenario in which I've noticed a problem is when exiting from Handmark Express. I had the option picked in Express to 'disconnect on exit'. When I exited, my phone would seem to hang while displaying a blank, white screen. After hanging for a bit, I would get a soft reset. ##ERR would blame Zlauncher (Fatal Exception) though.

Anybody else see this issue?
    -Brian-
    I've been experiencing the same problem with a hang during Vision disconnect.
    Okay, I just received a phone call while my Treo 600 was 'hung' while disconnecting...... BADDD! Everything gone, hard reset.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmahan
    Another scenario in which I've noticed a problem is when exiting from Handmark Express. I had the option picked in Express to 'disconnect on exit'. When I exited, my phone would seem to hang while displaying a blank, white screen. After hanging for a bit, I would get a soft reset. ##ERR would blame Zlauncher (Fatal Exception) though.

Anybody else see this issue?

I have the same problem with Express and have been working with Hankmark Tech Support on a fix. Let you how it goes.
    Thanks leakylegsrider (interesting name!)! I look forward to hearing from you!
    -Brian-
    Thanks bmahan, here is the latest update. Handmark allowed me to download the latest version that will be released later this week. This did not fix the problem. Since you also have this issue and have applied the update I thought they could be related issues and asked Handmark Tech Support if they had tested the update with Express. I have not heard back from them.
    BUMP! I performed the 1.2 upgrade the day it was available, and was having none of the issues mentioned in this thread until the past few days. As mentioned by others, the slow disconnect only occurs when Vision is active. Other times, however, it's quick. Would have to believe it's related to the network and not my phone since I haven't siginifcantly changed the software configuration. Weird.
    --
    Palm Pilot - Palm III - Palm V - Sprint Treo 600 - Treo 650 - Treo 755p - Pre - 2.1.0 Pre w/ Uberkernel
    Sinclair 1000 - Apple ][+ - C64 - Apple //e - PowerBook 100 - Mac SE - Dell PC - Acer AspireOne - 11" MacBook Air
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by emair
    Would have to believe it's related to the network and not my phone since I haven't siginifcantly changed the software configuration. Weird.
    I disagree.

I think it IS the phone. I also did the upgrade the day it was released. My treo has never had this problem before upgrading to 1.20. I started seeing thes problems right after the upgrade! I also did not use treo butler or treo helper. The problem comes in when the phone has a "dormant" connection to the wireless web. You go to disconnect or turn off you phone, it "hanges" for 60 to 90 sec. I am sure that some of the new network settings supplied with the update are to blame. If someone had a non-updated treo and a updated one, they could go to the "network" tab on both phones and verify the correct settings. Until some one does that we will be stuck waiting for sprint or palmone to supply a patch to fix the problem!
    "When Palm announced today that its new smartphone would run an operating system from Microsoft, it was the equivalent of Coca-Cola agreeing to fill its bottles with Pepsi." ~David M. Ewalt, Forbes Magazine
    ----------------------------------------------------
    My Phone history.....
    no observable improvements with 1.20 update but ...

two Treo 600s, both now updated to 1.20 & both now experiencing slow (or hung) on radio power off. a soft reset restarts the radio and allows a normal power down -- but it kills precious 3 minutes on a departing plane.

worse: receiving voicemail notification now appears to cause a soft reset (after the reset the alert is present and no harm is done except to usefulness, efficiency and battery life.
    This never happened to me before the update, first of all.

I can't seem to reproduce it, but it happens to me at least once a day.
    (If you're wondering why I turn wireless mode off so often, is because I've been visiting a family member in the hospital recently.)

wcarlson40, sorry to hear what happened to yours - even though it's recoverable. It's always irritating when a device hard resets because there is always at least some info lost....
    I know this isn't the best solution - but if you Disconnect from the network before you turn off wireless it goes very quickly. The disconnect (for me jsut now) went very quickly...
    I removed Treo Helper and no longer have any issues with slow disconnects from PCS Vision. Since I don't really go into areas with no signal much I can live without Treo Helper. But I did like the ability to make a call via the hands free cord button .

No major loss though.

I guess it's a fair trade for me since I can now do voice recording .
    I am occasionally having 60-90 second disconnect problems from Vision after leaving Blazer. I also use Web Browser Pro, which automatically disconnects from Vision upon exit, and I've had no problems there. Disconnecting from the wireless phone network is never a problem.

But yes, this problem is irritating me too, and it never happened before the update.

I do not have Treo Helper, incidentally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruising
    I know this isn't the best solution - but if you Disconnect from the network before you turn off wireless it goes very quickly. The disconnect (for me jsut now) went very quickly...
    Just closed pTunes streaming, then went to disconnect from Prefs - still took a minute or more.
    I like voice recording, so I won't complain too much......... I think they need to fix this considering how widespread this is though.
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell
    I removed Treo Helper and no longer have any issues with slow disconnects from PCS Vision. Since I don't really go into areas with no signal much I can live without Treo Helper. But I did like the ability to make a call via the hands free cord button .

No major loss though.

I guess it's a fair trade for me since I can now do voice recording .
    Well I THOUGHT removing Treo Helper resolved all my problems but I just tried a manual disconnect in SnapperMail and my Treo hung and then did a soft reboot on it's own. Downloaded some mail again (which auto reconnects) then tried to manually disconnect a 2nd time and it disconnected with no problems...

So I'm still seeing some problems. Maybe not as bad as before, but the problem still exists.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast