1.    #1  
    I've been a happy user of Snapper mail. What reasons are there to switch to PalmOne mail now that it's built in to the Treo?
    Free
  3.    #3  
    I know it's free. That's not a consideration for those of us who have already purchased Snapper. The question is whether there are any functions and features that make PalmOne mail superior to Snapper in any way.
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrenner
    I know it's free. That's not a consideration for those of us who have already purchased Snapper. The question is whether there are any functions and features that make PalmOne mail superior to Snapper in any way.
    I've heard it does a better job of background mail fetching--I believe it doesn't turn on the unit when it makes the check, but not 100% sure.
    "Oooh oooh aaah aaah! Slap!" - MAdMoNKEY
    if you have already purchased the snapper mail, why even think about switching? are you not happy with it?
    Well, whenever I try to send a message with an attachment, the pda resets on me. This is the first issue I've had. Does anyone else experience this? Before this update (and after 1.10) when I added an attachment (i.e. word doc), the document was added to the message body. I didn't like that at all.
    Does it still have the issue with not clearing out the files correctly when you have attachemnts and delelte them, and over time filling up the Treo's memeory?
  8.    #8  
    Re "are you not happy...?"
    I'm not sure my emotional state is the important question here, but fwiw: Robert Browning wrote, ""Oh that a man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a Heaven for?". For some of us, "happiness" is embodied in constant improvement rather than stability - what the Japanese call "kaizen". In that spirit, and without denigrating Snapper, which is a fine program, I simply ask whether there is something better to be had by switching to this new free offering from Palm One.
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    Can anyone tell me what the version number is of the new Palm One email software. I was running Mail v. 1.02Beta before the firmware upgrade and I'm still running 1.02Beta after the upgrade. Is this the new version or is it hiding somewhere on me?

Thanks
  10.    #10  
    1.02a
    Can the updated mail app actually delete msgs off the server?
    Quote Originally Posted by rudychow
    Can the updated mail app actually delete msgs off the server?
    Yes.

In the options is a check box for "leave messages on server."
    Right...... that was already in the previous version... Let me rephrase:

Is there an option to directly delete msgs off the server (without having to first download all your messages in full)?

This inability (well, in the previous versions of the mail app at least), is the main reason for my switching to snapper. But given a choice i'd rather use HS Mail as it has a nicer interface.
    I echo rudychow's question. With the new Palm mail app, can you selectively delete msgs off the server like you can in Snapper? In other words, after reading an email & deleting it & then emptying your trash & then send/receive again, is the message deleted off the server?
    I agree that this is Snapper's greatest advantage.
    The ability to uncheck the "leave messages on server" box is not new, & is a poor man's solution IMHO.
    I think I'll stick to Snappermail. First - got the only reset (so far) since yesterday's upgrade, when I attempted to add an attachment to an outgoing mail. Couldn't see support for pulling email addresses from my contact list either (probably there, but too bummed out by the attachment resets). Oh well, not too bad for free, but not reliable.
    I like snappermail. but too bad it does not support IMAP at the current version and i do not know when the 2.0 will release. I use VersaMail. IMO, it is pretty good. I am trying to use different kind of mail clients and trying to find one which fits my needs the most.
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JesseNYC
    Well, whenever I try to send a message with an attachment, the pda resets on me. This is the first issue I've had. Does anyone else experience this? Before this update (and after 1.10) when I added an attachment (i.e. word doc), the document was added to the message body. I didn't like that at all.
    same thing happens to me even after another soft reset.
    IMO free is fine but if u mean business get Snapper Mail after their next upgrade. the current snapper mail and palmone mail may be comparable even though certain things are missing but not after the comin upgrade.
    Global Posts
    478 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    I think I'll stick to Snappermail. First - got the only reset (so far) since yesterday's upgrade, when I attempted to add an attachment to an outgoing mail. Couldn't see support for pulling email addresses from my contact list either (probably there, but too bummed out by the attachment resets). Oh well, not too bad for free, but not reliable.
    You can pull email addresses from the contact list, not as clean as snapper, but still easy enough

rob
    goto snappermail.com

they announce snappermail 2.0 availability in june!!!

hot dog!
    I bought Snapper to use on my old Treo 180. I've dropped it now I've got the Treo 600, because PalmOne mail will fetch in the background even when the palm is locked using the built-in security app. Snapper cannot do this.

J