1. Vae
    Hi
    I've been looking around for some email software which will both sync with Microsoft Outlook (2000) and also download attachments upon request from email received and then be able to open them with Docs to go or similar.

I'm trying Eudora at the moment which syncs with Outlook fine but, from what I've read, doesn't appear to be able to handle attachments (I haven't been able to test this yet as I'm still in the process of sorting out email accounts).

Snapper looks like it handles attachments fine but it doesn't sync with outlook.

Anyone got any suggestions?
    Thanks in advance
    Vae,

See attached xls which is a comparison of email apps I had done a few months ago. I also use Outlook/DTG/POP3 mail, so hopefully you'll find it useful.

If you really want Outlook sync capability, VersaMail was my choice. I've since turned off that part of the conduit as I just didn't see it very useful. In hindsight, for POP3/IMAP support w/o Outlook sync, I would've bought SnapperMail as it has all the same features plus many more. I'd say it was definitely the most popular email reader out there.

Tom
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Man, tombv2000, that was a lot of work you put in on that analysis. I am impressed. If you don't mind can I ask you a related question since you may be a real authority on this issue? I have tried SnapperMail, Iambic's Agendus AND Sprint's Business Connection all for email handling. I like the idea that with BC I can get to my inbox if my outlook is open on my desktop then I use Agendus if my outlook is closed (& the mail is still on the ISP). My problem is that BC will not open an attached Excel file in it's native format with DTG. If my Outlook is open and therefore it downloads the file off the ISP, I can no longer see it in Agendus and therefore I can't open the Excel file in DTG. Have you found a email client that I can see my inbox IF OUTLOOK IS OPEN on your desktop - AND - allow me to use DTG to open an excel file?

Thanks for your help.
    Actually, I was snowed in and bored enough post-Christmas to do the comparison

I don't have any experience with BC or Agendus, but did play a little with BaseJet since it had that same PC redirection capability. If I remember right, it would keep the Treo and Outlook in sync (like BlackBerrys do) and handle attachments just fine. It was OK, but my corporate IT is supposed to be deploying a full PC/PDA wireless sync capability Real Soon Now so I'm kind of waiting for that. Unfortunately, they work in "lawyer time". You can try the trial version of BaseJet to see if that works with Agendus the way you want.

It sounds like BC doesn't have the xls/DTG association support for attachments so it basically doesn't know how to open it. Is it possible to save the attachment to an SD card and then open it with DTG?

Sorry I couldn't be more help.
    Tom
    Global Posts
    328 Global Posts
    Based on Tom's research (and some additional work I did myself), I also bought VersaMail, because I wanted to be able to mark emails read in Outlook if I've read them on the Treo.

But it turns out that although VersaMail allows you to synch with Outlook, it can't do what I needed - and in some configurations, it will actually delete emails before you read them on either platform.

Say you configure VersaMail to leave email on the pop/smtp server, and you download them onto the Treo. Then you download those same emails from the server into Outlook. Finally, you sync your Treo. The Emails end up being "unread" on both platforms (instead of "read" on both platforms) - I couldn't find a setting in the VersaMail conduit for Handheld-Overwrites-Desktop.

But, if you sync before first downloading into Outlook, the emails are deleted from the Treo (because they don't exist in Outlook). The next time you get your email with Outlook, they reappear as unread.

If you set VersaMail to delete emails from the server when you download them with your Treo, then you end up having those emails be deleted from both platforms after you sync - even if you hadn't read them on either platform.

And, to add insult to injury, VersaMail has a terrible interface (no one-button fetch for instance).

I also tried Basejet, but their Outlook sync only works if you use their redirector, which means Outlook must be running on your computer in order to get your email on the treo. (And their program is very, very buggy).

So I've given up on getting outlook sync, and have gone over to SnapperMail.

J
    Wow! Great review! This should kept on a permanent area here at TC. Thanks for the hard work.
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    Quote Originally Posted by cash70
    Wow! Great review! This should kept on a permanent area here at TC. Thanks for the hard work.

I agree!! GREAT WORK TOM!! In fact I think should ask if they can post Tom's chart as a sticky somewhere on these forums! It would be a great resource for newbies...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Sorry about above. Thanks for the info. I am using the rial version of snapper and love it. My question is....when I send an emial from my Treo, the person receiveing it has a "from " line that says something like sprintpcs02@sprintpcs.com on behalf of ...and then it has my name and email address. Is there any way to get rid of the first part so it just comes from my email address without all the sprint info at the beginning?
    Same problem here. Sprint always said "Sprint PCS on behalf of," but now it includes the whole "monk99999@sprintpcs.com on behalf of."

I find it most annoying because now some people are emailing that address and I don't want to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by jayrosenblum
    Sorry about above. Thanks for the info. I am using the rial version of snapper and love it. My question is....when I send an emial from my Treo, the person receiveing it has a "from " line that says something like sprintpcs02@sprintpcs.com on behalf of ...and then it has my name and email address. Is there any way to get rid of the first part so it just comes from my email address without all the sprint info at the beginning?