Page 26 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1621222324252627282930 LastLast
    My phone was starting to get the network search problem before the firmware upgrade, but it hadn't yet become bad enough for me to get (another) replacement. Now that I've upgraded the firmware, I notice that I get the "No Service" message under the same circumstances where I used to get "Network Search", and it seems to have the same temporary fixes (whack the phone once or twice or plug into a charger). I've also noticed that when the phone searches for a signal the power light flashes orange, which I don't recall it doing before. My guess is that they removed the network search message because they now indicate the same thing via the power light.

But hey, at least it doesn't say "Network Search" all the time now!
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Insp_Gadget
    It doesn't work for me. I tried using the built-in Mail app, too. I provided username/password. Mail connects to the POP server and downloads mail, but when it tries to connect to the SMTP server it times out and never sends my e-mail. (The log is unhelpful...it just says that the connection was lost.)

If you're using Sprint with Comcast what part of the country are you in? It might be a localized problem. I'm in the Washington, DC area.
    I'm in Tucson, AZ. I typed in my pop username but left the password defaulted to "Pop Password" instead of actually typing it in.

Can you load a telnet app and telnet to smtp.comcast.net port 25?

Jason
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonsf
    I'm in Tucson, AZ. I typed in my pop username but left the password defaulted to "Pop Password" instead of actually typing it in.

Jason
    I checked with Comcast. They claim they aren't blocking any IP ranges. I have my client configured just as you stated.

Good idea on the TELNET suggestion... I'll download a client and let you know.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonsf

Jason
    I telnetted to smtp.comcast.net port 25 and from what I could tell, the server acknowledged a connection: "220 comcast.net - Maillennium ESMTP/MULTIBOX ..."

I tried it both with the host name "smtp.comcast.net" and the IP address for it: 204.127.198.27

It returned the same. So I can only assume that I'm reaching the box when I try to send mail, but for whatever reason the server isn't allowing me to go any further.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    I also started getting the No Service/dropped calls/can't answer error after the update. It seems like it might be specific to the area, though, since it happens 100% of the time at my loft but never at work. I never had a problem using the phone at the loft before the update, and now I do. Since this is area specific, it might be a Sprint problem and not a Treo problem. If it is Sprint specific, maybe they did a network change that occured at around the same time by coincidence. I'm going to call Sprint and complain, regardless of whether it is phone or network specific.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Why can't Sprint just beam it to our phones? I've tried updating twice with no success.
    Everything went pretty well for me. For some reason everytime I tap on Directory Assistance, my phone resets. I love that app, so I guess I will try to uninstall/reinstall it now.

My battery life does seems to be shorter after the update.
    I have found that the update makes my Treo600 more unstable. It now freezes once a day and reboots more often.
    I'm on level 3 tech support right now about the "no service" issue. They are saying it sounds like a software issue on the phone. I am now getting the error while at work. He says the cell towers don't even know that I'm connected, yet my phone rings when a call comes in. Phone calls ring in, but I can't answer and can't make outgoing calls. If I can receive calls but the towers don't get any answer from me, it sounds like a transmitter problem. He said to take my phone in to the store to have them play with it, and he'll bring up the issue with his manager.

I encourage anyone else who has had this error to call Sprint so they can get as many techs talking to as many managers as possible.
    I don't think there is any causal relationship between the updater and the Network Search issue. It's just coincidence. If you have this issue, a repair is called for - take it to a Sprint store. There is a physical cause not a software cause for it. This does not affect anyone using GSM.
    Quote Originally Posted by glenada
    Why can't Sprint just beam it to our phones? I've tried updating twice with no success.
    FOTA should be coming out this year (Firmware Over The Air) from Sprint PCS, but I don't know if it'll just be for standard wireless phones or if it will work for PDA phone devices as well.
    I notice a big drain in the battery when I check email or use webviewer. Much more than before the update. If I don't use the wireless the battery seems to be same as before the update.
    I just took my phone in to SPCS to get it re-flashed - it appears the update did wonders to my phone - can't make calls, battery drain, flickering screen, non-responsive at times...

hopefully it will help - have to wait a while to get the phone back. I'll re-post once I find out if it helped or not
    Quote Originally Posted by cash70
    The issue is not just with Comcast AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK. $I$ $am$ $on$ $Cox$.$net$ $and$ $I$ $have$ $to$ $use$ $Sprint$'$s$ $smtp$. $Sprint$'$s$ $smtp$ $works$ $great$. $Call$ $their$ $Tier$ $2$ ($866$ $884$-$4534$) $and$ $make$ $sure$ $that$ $you$ $are$ $using$ $the$ $correct$ $user$ $name$ $and$ $password$. $Then$ $you$ $should$ $be$ $able$ $to$ $set$ $your$ $smtp$ $to$ $smtp$.$sprintpcs$.$com$.

Thanks for this tip. I changed my smtp to the smtp.sprintpcs.com server and now, when people recieve my email, it says from "myname@sprintpcs.com on behalf of myname@myotheraddress.com"
    if you haven't yet updated your sprint treo... you've made a good move. DONT DO IT YET - MAJOR BUGS.
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214
    if you haven't yet updated your sprint treo... you've made a good move. DONT DO IT YET - MAJOR BUGS.
    Oh please. Not this nonsense again.

I've done both updates and have no "bugs."
    Quote Originally Posted by lgreenberg
    Oh please. Not this nonsense again.

I've done both updates and have no "bugs."
    Speak for yourself.

Plenty of other folks ARE having issues since the update!
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell
    Speak for yourself.

Plenty of other folks ARE having issues since the update!
    What kind of issues are you having? My Treo (Sprint) is working fine since the update. My only complaint was the update took a couple of tries to make it happen.

Dunc
    I ended up getting my phone replaced. When I got back to the SPCS store they told me my phone wouldn't connect with their system and that the re-flash was only software - not the firmware 1.2 that they said it was earlier in the day. The new phone (yes it is new, not refurbed) is Hardware Revision C (old one was B) and I updated to 1.2 with no problems so far. I figure I have plenty of time left under warranty, so if it screws up again I'll just get a new phone at Sprint's expense

restored all my apps from the card also and everything seems to be working ok for now.