1.    #1  
    ive been asking this to the ppl in this forum since the first day i bought my treo till today ive tried various methods to explain but i still couldnt get u guys to undertstand what i mean here ...

ok finnaly i found out a way to explain it clearly
    hope this time it works ...

i want my treo to have a mono sound .. u know not polyphonic..
    ive been trying lots of software that can generate the sound on the treo itself but when i set it as ringtone it suddenly sounded different ..

ok heres what i mean ... follow this instruction and ull see what i mean :
    (u must try this if not you'll not understand)

download the attachment file: MonkeyRinger.prc

1. install it in your SD or internal.
    2. turn up your volume max
    3. open monkeyringer
    4. click NEW
    5. Youll then see a piano keyboard.. press on it any key and listen to the kind of sound it generates ... listen to the generated tone carefully
    6. then click PLAY

ull see when u press on the keyboard it generates a monotone loud sound that can easily heard .. but when u click PLAY .. it suddenly turns into this polyphonic beep .. (which is very soft)

so why cant the treo play the notes in the Monotone tone
    instead of the Polyphonic tones ..

if my question isnt clear please ask again .. ive been trying for ages to try to generate that kind of tone on my treo .. thanks ...
    Attached Files Attached Files
  2.    #2  
    *BUMP*
    helo someone please response
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    Have you tried contacting MonkeyRinger support?
    I know exactly what you mean (although not really know how the heck to accomplish it). I too would like the Mono sound as I miss calls if my phone is not near because of how soft it rings. However, the only thing I can conclude is that the Treo uses Polyphonic ringtones, not Mono, thus it will not and doubt that it can play Mono ringtone wise.

You won't get much answer here because frankly, I doubt anyone cares to have their phone ring louder.

I second Limoman, though not in contacting MonkeyRinger, you have to contact Handspring directly. MonkeyRinger doesn't have anything to do with it as they had no part in designing the Treo. Besides, it's not only MonkeyRinger, all others do this...HoHo, Ringo, etc.

Hope you find a solution. Although it won't be easy.
    Good luck...and keep us updated
    I care about having my phone ring louder. but i thought my mp3 is loud enough thus I did not try to find a way to bump it much louder.

i use lightwav and it has an option to play the ringtone in the max volume.
    I must be the only one who finds the MIDI ringer good. I had a Kyocera 6035 and the one thing that bugged me is the ringer was too quiet. But my Treo600 is loud, even MIDI!
    Palm III > Palm IIIC > Handera 330 > Kyocera 6035 & Sony NR70V > Treo 600 > Treo650 & Palm LifeDrive > Modded LifeDrive w/16gig CF > Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by xaix
    ive been asking this to the ppl in this forum since the first day i bought my treo till today ive tried various methods to explain but i still couldnt get u guys to undertstand what i mean here ...

ok finnaly i found out a way to explain it clearly
    hope this time it works ...

i want my treo to have a mono sound .. u know not polyphonic..
    ive been trying lots of software that can generate the sound on the treo itself but when i set it as ringtone it suddenly sounded different ..

ok heres what i mean ... follow this instruction and ull see what i mean :
    (u must try this if not you'll not understand)

download the attachment file: MonkeyRinger.prc

1. install it in your SD or internal.
    2. turn up your volume max
    3. open monkeyringer
    4. click NEW
    5. Youll then see a piano keyboard.. press on it any key and listen to the kind of sound it generates ... listen to the generated tone carefully
    6. then click PLAY

ull see when u press on the keyboard it generates a monotone loud sound that can easily heard .. but when u click PLAY .. it suddenly turns into this polyphonic beep .. (which is very soft)

so why cant the treo play the notes in the Monotone tone
    instead of the Polyphonic tones ..

if my question isnt clear please ask again .. ive been trying for ages to try to generate that kind of tone on my treo .. thanks ...

Record the midi you want on your desktop, they synch it, should work fine. Google for a util to use. Never used monkeyringer.

HTH,
    -Joe
  8.    #8  
    the thing is ..
    if the treo is capable of playing the tone when u press on they piano keyboard in monkey ringer .. (u should try to understand)

then there must be a way for us to trick the midi files to play that kind of tone ..
    i havent foutn any good midi composer and really frustrated right now ..
    Quote Originally Posted by xaix
    the thing is ..
    if the treo is capable of playing the tone when u press on they piano keyboard in monkey ringer .. (u should try to understand)
    Insulting people is an interesting approach to obtaining help. You've already been advised to contact the developer, and have been given a couple of simple solutions. Perhaps you should try to understand. Enjoy your frustration.

-Joe
    1. The mono tones you refer to hark back to the piezo speaker on older Palm Pilots. The new Treos have an amplifier and proper speaker for audio playback. The piezos are loud and penetrating but are horrible for any kind of media sounds.

2. I suggest you get a copy of MusicStudio from www.micromadhouse.com or PalmGear. This allows you to edit create MID files accessing all the ringtone MIDI instruments in the Treo 600. When you synch these MID files are sent to your PC. Then email the MID file to yourself and install it. The author has not yet integrated the ability to edit ringtones in situ.
  11.    #11  
    i know that
    the piezo speaker cant play audio
    but the current treo speaker can play piezo sound a like tones ..

please downlaod that monkeyringerdemo.prc and click on the piano key your self .. u'll see what i mean after u press play and compare it when u press it on the piano ..
    please
  12. Me2
    Global Posts
    336 Global Posts
    OK I'll bite... seems to me it's you that doesn't understand, either how MIDI works, or how most people would contact the builder if they had a problem with their new house, not rant and rave at the neighbours!

Monkeyringer demo has an on screen keyboard which uses the legacy "Piezo Beep" code in the Treo, telling it to generate simple tones directly to the speaker (NOT via the MIDI player). So touching Middle C generates a 260Hz(ish) waveform to the speaker at maximum voltage. Pretty much like playing a Kazoo. The Kazoo player needs no musical knowledge, just the ability to make a very harsh noise at a pitch that sounds right. And because the only instruction is to blow, it can only ever sound like a Kazoo.

Monkeyringer then saves your tune as series of instructions into a MIDI file. Which is effectively a musical score that can be played by anybody that can read music. E.g "play a Middle C quaver on your instrument, pianissimo".

The MIDI file does not contain any direct description of sounds, frequencies or waveforms. Like a score, it's just series of universally recognised symbols representing a sequence of events (instruments,notes, time signatures, timbre) to be played by anyone/anything that has been trained to read it.

On playback, you feed that musical score to the Midi Player (a part of your Treo that is classically trained to read music), which reads and plays the music on its preprogrammed "soundalike" piano and drums.

So you are using two completely different sound sources, as alike as Chalk and Cheese. And unlike MP3s, MIDI ringtones have to be performed by the orchestra.

So how can you change it?

Well firstly, stop shouting at the audience. Try being civilised and dropping a note to the composer instead of bleating "no-one understands me". For God's sake, he wrote the bloody thing, not us. Then you'll get a good idea of what the options are, instead of a punch in the face from security.

1. You could edit the score - by rewriting the lead melody to be played on another channel (instrument) for a different sound, or increasing the volume by changing pianissimo to fortissimo!. PC speak - Ask the developer if options could be built into the program to chose the instruments, where the output MIDI file is kept, and if/how it can be edited.

2. If the score stays the same, you rearrange orchestra - sack the pianist and hire a lead guitarist, or swap the drummer for a bongo player. PC speak - Change the samples in the soundcard voice wavetables.

3. If you can't rearrange the score or orchestra, persuade the conductor or arranger to redirect the parts - send the piano part to the tin whistle. PC Speak - Edit the MIDI channel to voice mapper

Whatever you do, you'll never get a Grand Piano to sound like a 5 cent Kazoo, nor get the audience to understand why the hell you'd want to.
    Last edited by Me2; 05/14/2004 at 08:40 PM.