Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Some of you have complained to the press has gotten some. There was a mention of TreoCentral...let's hope Palmone and Sprint are listening.

http://reviews-zdnet.com.com/AnchorD....html?tag=adts
    That might be the first trickle of a coming flood. E.g.:

-- http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...28&postcount=9

Whither those two, whither others?

Heads Up for those who care!
    Nice try Seldom, but this isn't an investigation, just another gripe fest. I do not doubt that some of you have had problems, but frequent resets are almost always software conflicts. Besides, how can you trust a reporter that doesn't even know his signal meter tops out at four bars (see his quote about dropped calls when he has "five bars").
    No, it's not an investigation - what it is is a mainstream article that says "Uh but...".

The first one I've seen - and more are threatening to come out soon, no?

Thus the Heads Up for those who care about such things - you?

====

Editted to make the "The first one..." sentence clearer.
    Last edited by SeldomVisitor; 05/12/2004 at 02:40 PM.
    I guess these reviews never really got me worried or hinted me to dump my treo for a sony p900 because I never encountered those problems at all, knock on wood , except for the blue dots after I upgraded the firmware.
    Frenzytom.

Thanks for the article. Nothing like seeing your concerns voiced in the press.
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    Nice try Seldom, but this isn't an investigation, just another gripe fest. I do not doubt that some of you have had problems, but frequent resets are almost always software conflicts. Besides, how can you trust a reporter that doesn't even know his signal meter tops out at four bars (see his quote about dropped calls when he has "five bars").
    I believe my Treo goes to 5 bars. Maybe I have a weird one though.
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    Besides, how can you trust a reporter that doesn't even know his signal meter tops out at four bars (see his quote about dropped calls when he has "five bars").
    Well. I have eighteen bars!
    J/K

Attention from the manufacturer (of any given product) is good in almost any form whether it be misdirected or not. The Treo is a damn good item but it needs attention, yes?

edited:
    to be specific about the bars issue:
    mine goes to four, I've not seen five. The top of my fourth bar is the same height as the lightening bolt when charging. Seems to be a space for an additional (fifth) bar but I havent seen it yet.
    Last edited by Spillsbeer; 05/12/2004 at 11:00 PM.
    Palm III - Kyo 6035 -Treo 600
    See no evil, Hear no evil, Speak no evil???

Come on guys, where have you been? The "radio" or "phone" part of the Treo 600 is just rubbish! Resets, bad connection, bad echo, weak signal, dropped calls, tone keys, busy signal, no dial, etc., is not acceptable! So is the camera. It really sucks and I have NEVER used it. Yes, the PDA part is O.K. but who bought the Treo 600 to use it as a PDA!

We ALL know it but we do not want to admit to it because we all spent lots of $$$ for the Treo 600 and we do not want to tell anybody that we were wrong buying it. And if anyone says anything bad about the Treo 600 (on this forum or elsewhere), he gets slaughtered. I have had my 3rd Treo600 and it still has the same problems! It still sucks! In fact, it gets worse with every "new" phone I get, i.e. display sucks, etc., while the FW/SW/HW stays the same. There has been NO improvement to the phone fom Handspring (Palmone) since it came out regardless of the FW/SW version. Don't lie to yourself. Youy know it!

Please tell me why all threads with "new firmware" or "treo 600 update", etc., get so many hits? It's because the we "WANT" to believe that FW 3.04 (or whatever new version we are waiting for) solves all our problems and we can teall our friends (and ourselfes) that the Treo 600 is a great device and the money spent was a good investment. But guess what, it is a premature device and all our wishful thinking is just a wet dream!!! Perhaps the Sony is a good alternative!

I think it is time for me to move on and give up the Treo 600. If you want to but it from me (I have all the accessories including car kit) please let me know.

Curly
    Last edited by curlykraut; 05/13/2004 at 12:34 AM. Reason: New Title
  10. Jeb
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by curlykraut
    See no evil, Hear no evil, Speak no evil???

Come on guys, where have you been? The "radio" or "phone" part of the Treo 600 is just rubbish! Resets, bad connection, bad echo, weak signal, dropped calls, tone keys, busy signal, no dial, etc., is not acceptable! So is the camera. It really sucks and I have NEVER used it. Yes, the PDA part is O.K. but who bought the Treo 600 to use it as a PDA!

We ALL know it but we do not want to admit to it because we all spent lots of $$$ for the Treo 600 and we do not want to tell anybody that we were wrong buying it. And if anyone says anything bad about the Treo 600 (on this forum or elsewhere), he gets slaughtered. I have had my 3rd Treo600 and it still has the same problems! It still sucks! In fact, it gets worse with every "new" phone I get, i.e. display sucks, etc., while the FW/SW/HW stays the same. There has been NO improvement to the phone fom Handspring (Palmone) since it came out regardless of the FW/SW version. Don't lie to yourself. Youy know it!

Please tell me why all threads with "new firmware" or "treo 600 update", etc., get so many hits? It's because the we "WANT" to believe that FW 3.04 (or whatever new version we are waiting for) solves all our problems and we can teall our friends (and ourselfes) that the Treo 600 is a great device and the money spent was a good investment. But guess what, it is a premature device and all our wishful thinking is just a wet dream!!! Perhaps the Sony is a good alternative!

I think it is time for me to move on and give up the Treo 600. If you want to but it from me (I have all the accessories including car kit) please let me know.

Curly
    Sorry for your bad experience Curly. But do not lump me into your group of "ALL". I am quite happy with my Treo. But I would be just as upset as you and many others who have had to suffer through bad product.
    Don't lump me in either. I am more than happy. The only firmware update that I want is for voice recording on the Sprint version.
    I must be one of the small % who actually has a working unit then as I love my Treo 600.

Call quality is great, it's stable, runs all my apps and does what it promised too.

I hacked the crap out of my Treo to work on the Telus system and it is great. Only CDMA Treo on the system AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK.

As for the camera issues... I didn't buy it to take pictures.
    Quote Originally Posted by curlykraut
    It really sucks and I have NEVER used it.
    This would sound better if you could say that you've used the thing extensively and found that is sucks, or if you could even say that you used it at all. That would at least make it seem like you have an opinion of your own.

Where have we been? Right here, listening to stories about problems and successes with the Treo. Where have you been? Do you think you'll be able to get your head out of there any time soon? The smell must be overwhelming.

Edit, as requested: ad hominem. Hm, let's see then: I attack his statement and then insult him. No ad hominem action there. Attack, yes. Ad hominem, no. Keep working on those ideas Seldom.
    Last edited by snerdy; 05/13/2004 at 10:36 AM.
    > Where have we been? Right here, listening to stories about
    > problems and successes with the Treo. Where have you been?
    > Do you think you'll be able to get your head out of there any
    > time soon? The smell must be overwhelming.

Hey snerdy! Did your ad hominem attack accomplish anything? Did it improve the thread or explain that particular poster's problems in a helpful manner?

No?

I know - go back and edit your foolish comments and make them useful!

Damn! I have some good ideas sometimes...
    thread
    Quote Originally Posted by MC Hammered
    I must be one of the small % who actually has a working unit then as I love my Treo 600.

Call quality is great, it's stable, runs all my apps and does what it promised too.

I hacked the crap out of my Treo to work on the Telus system and it is great. Only CDMA Treo on the system AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK.

As for the camera issues... I didn't buy it to take pictures.
    You aren't, you are just a part of the silient majority.

See the happy thread . Currently 96% are happy and think Seldom voted twice for the unhappy.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe
    Currently 96% are happy and think Seldom voted twice for
    the unhappy.
    As with the "How Many Times Have You Replaced Your TREO" poll, I didn't vote at all because it wouldn't have been honest to do so.

Think about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe
    thread

You aren't, you are just a part of the silent majority.

See the happy thread . Currently 96% are happy and think Seldom voted twice for the unhappy.
    I don't think Seldom voted twice, but that "Happy" poll is just as legitimate, if not more so, than all of Seldom's rants about the inferior quality of the Treo 600. You just can't generalize from anecdotal evidence (or rigged polls, even like the "Happy" poll) to say something is great or s#+! because of that data. And look closely at Brian Cooley's comments - not a lot of meat there. Also, compare this to online reviews of a lot of cell phones - eg - the Samsung A500 is dog food to some (dropped calls, poor battery) and to others it hung the moon (small, light, reliable).

I too would be furious and ranting if I had the series of problems that some others have reported, but to date the Treo 600 has been as solid as any PDA or cell phone I've owned (going all the way back to a Palm Pro). I too would love to have the voice recording firmware update - and for heaven's sake, ditch the low res screen. But is there another option CURRENTLY available to switch to from the Treo 600 - well, maybe the G1000 if you don't mind holding an adding machine to your ear when talking.

Let's all bury the hatchet and move on. Seldom's right, there are Treo's out there that shouldn't even be dignified by calling them crap. There's also no evidence that this is so widespread as to characterize the entire phone line as crap.
    It seems a lot of the issues mentioned in that article are due to software problems (resets) or Sprint service (dropped calls, etc.). I'm on T-Mobile and my calls are just fine, and as far as resets go, the only time I get them is when I'm beta testing software that I'm trying to break! Guess I'm part of that silent majority that's very happy with their phone. Now if you want me to whine and complain about something, start talking about the Treo 180
    it's not even really relegated to the carrier lines...i had a brand new palmone branded treo on tmobile and the calls were atrocious, with the other side constantly asking me to repeat myself due to break-up, even with full signal strength. i've had my sprint treo for 2 months now, have great voice quality and have only had 2 dropped (signal faded) calls in a row, and those were in a single place where I barely had signal but tried to make the call again. it happens. i can use my sprint phone in places my tmobile phones had no signal and vice-versa...nature of the beast. i think it's right to say most people are happy with their devices and the ones who aren't are the most likely to vent on boards.
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    I just can't believe that I have that much bad luck! I am soon to be on my 3rd replacement (4 phones total). They all had buzzing noises on the receiving end, some on both ends, and one had an echo problem. What is going on? Obviously this is not a minor problem, there was even a hardware fix posted here before the great April crash. The only thing that I can think of is that I am a HEAVY data user. Is it possible that most of you who don't have problems don't use data as much as those of us who do? I think that would explain a lot. Also I believe this affects the GSM version more. I'm at my wits end, whenever, I receive a replacement treo I seriously consider selling it before using it but then I think: "I'll give one more a try."
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast