Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So we can get a Java Runtime for the Treo here.

Great. Now what? I am not interested in the conversion to PRCs. Will it work with Blazer browsing Websites that have Java Apps?
    Quote Originally Posted by manorton
    So we can get a Java Runtime for the Treo here.

Great. Now what? I am not interested in the conversion to PRCs. Will it work with Blazer browsing Websites that have Java Apps?
    Are you reffering to javascript or to actual java appelets? The two are completely different. Javascript is a scripting language for webpages while Java appelets are actually small Java programs that are embedded in a web page and run within a browser, not as a stand-alone applications. Blazer already supports javascript on the Treo while AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $there$ $is$ $no$ $mobile$ $handset$/$smartphone$ $out$ $there$ $or$ $mobile$ $borwsers$ $that$ $can$ $support$ $appelets$. $The$ $J2ME$ $allows$ $the$ $Treo$ $to$ $run$ $various$ $midlets$, $Java$ $programs$ $specifcally$ $written$ $for$ $mobile$ $devices$...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Here's a java (not javascript) site - can you view the various applets with your TREO?

-- http://www.sodaplay.com/zoo/index.htm
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Are you reffering to javascript or to actual java appelets? The two are completely different. Javascript is a scripting language for webpages while Java appelets are actually small Java programs that are embedded in a web page and run within a browser, not as a stand-alone applications. Blazer already supports javascript on the Treo while AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $there$ $is$ $no$ $mobile$ $handset$/$smartphone$ $out$ $there$ $or$ $mobile$ $borwsers$ $that$ $can$ $support$ $appelets$. $The$ $J2ME$ $allows$ $the$ $Treo$ $to$ $run$ $various$ $midlets$, $Java$ $programs$ $specifcally$ $written$ $for$ $mobile$ $devices$...
    The link I included refers to IBM's WebSphere Java 2 Micro Edition runtime. So, no to the JavaScript.

If you have to convert to PRCs then what's the benefit other than being able to program in Java for the Palm OS? Is there any benefit to the end user on this?
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by SeldomVisitor
    Here's a java (not javascript) site - can you view the various applets with your TREO?

-- http://www.sodaplay.com/zoo/index.htm
    Before I purchased the Java Runtime I wanted to see if anyone has had something like this working.

Has someone else gotten this to work?
    The link I included refers to IBM's WebSphere Java 2 Micro Edition runtime. So, no to the JavaScript.

If you have to convert to PRCs then what's the benefit other than being able to program in Java for the Palm OS? Is there any benefit to the end user on this?

Just to make things clear, the end user download doesn't include the jartoprc, so users won't be converting any prcs's themselves. Secondly the MidletHQ app allows users to directly download jar/jad files to their Treos, so the conversion will be transparent...

As far as to the utility of Java on palmos, I think it's self evident. It allows a large amount of existing code to work on the Treo as well enables as a huge Java developers community an opportunity to code for the palmOS platform. There already several valuable java apps like Webviewer, Midcast etc that are available on the Treo as a result of the J2ME, not to mention numerous midlet games etc. That in itself is a benefit to the end user...

Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  7.    #7  
    <snip>the MidletHQ app allows users to directly download jar/jad files to their Treos, so the conversion will be transparent...
    <snip>
    So are you saying that Java Apps like those on http://www.sodaplay.com/zoo/index.htm that weren't programmed specifically for the PalmOS will probably work on our Treo's?
    So are you saying that Java Apps like those on http://www.sodaplay.com/zoo/index.htm that weren't programmed specifically for the PalmOS will probably work on our Treo's?

bump.. this would be cool
    No, those are Java appelets and thus will not work. Recall my earlier explanation that:

appelets = desktop: these are actually java programs imbedded into the webpage and require you to install a Java Plugin to your IE to view properly.

On the other hand midlets = mobile devices. Midlet actually stands for Mobile Information Device Profile which is a set of J2ME APIs that define how software applications interface with cellular phones and other mobile devices.

AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $there$ $is$ $no$ $pda$, $mobile$ $phone$, $etc$ ($palmos$, $PPC$ $or$ $whatever$) $that$ $has$ $a$ $browser$ $that$ $supports$ $java$ $appelets$. $Maybe$ $some$ $day$, $but$ $the$ $technology$ $isn$'$t$ $there$ $yet$. $In$ $the$ $mean$ $time$ $there$ $are$ $several$ $repositories$ $online$ $where$ $you$ $can$ $download$ $free$ $midlets$ $to$ $your$ $treo$ $such$ $as$ Midlet.org, Javamobiles, Spruce tech, and etc. In fact, I even started a pretty lengthy thread of various free games here, but most of the post were lost after the forum crash! (Alas, maybe I'll upload them eventually)...

I upgraded my firmware yesterday, and now the j2me runtime I bought from palmone causes my treo to reset. Has anybody else experienced this?

-Charlie
    Hmm.... one more thing - my GSM service provider lets JAVA enabled phone users to download Java games onto their phone thru MMS... will this work with WebSphere Java 2 Micro Edition or do i need to convert the jar file into .prc ? MidletHQ cant do it because im not downloading it from an HTTP location.

So how dus this work ?

Regards,
    S
    Quote Originally Posted by sugato
    Hmm.... one more thing - my GSM service provider lets JAVA enabled phone users to download Java games onto their phone thru MMS... will this work with WebSphere Java 2 Micro Edition or do i need to convert the jar file into .prc ? MidletHQ cant do it because im not downloading it from an HTTP location.

So how dus this work ?

Regards,
    S
    You should be able to download it to ram and then open the game from the MidletHQ. At least, that's what I'm able to do when downloading java apps with Blazer...

Many midlets won't work, especially the "commercial" ones like Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six or Prince of Persia, or such. They rely on proprietary Nokia extensions to the Java runtime.

Still, you can search for yourself... find a game you like, think of a probable file name, and enter into Google. For example, search on "rainbowsix.jad".
    What about Agile Messenger?
    http://www.agilemobile.com/index.html

They claim they have a J2ME version, though it doesn't appear to be downloadable on their site like all the other versions. I think it's meant to be licensed to mobile providers and such.

A friend of mine has the nokia version and it's definately the best looking IM program I've ever seen... the newest version even allows you to send pictures. I'd kill to have it....
    Global Posts
    289 Global Posts
    Sorry to bring back a dormant thread. But this looks like an awesome program for those of us in Chicago, but I can't quite get it to work. Here is a link to the jar and jad files:

http://j2me-software.com/repository/...vice=606&id=96

And I will attach the zip file, which is just the jar and jad combined into a zip.

I have run the jartoprc program and then hot synced the PRC, and also tried running MidiHQ and using it to install the jar from the above URL. The program runs and gets all the way to the point where it tries going online, asks for permission (ala WebViewer), then hangs so I have to do a soft reset. Can any body else try this to see if the are successful?

The only thing I can see is that the platform says MIDP 1.0 and I have 2.0 installed, but I would assume it to be backward compatible?!?

Thanks in advance for any help.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Quote Originally Posted by jennyfur
    What about Agile Messenger?
    http://www.agilemobile.com/index.html

They claim they have a J2ME version, though it doesn't appear to be downloadable on their site like all the other versions. I think it's meant to be licensed to mobile providers and such.

A friend of mine has the nokia version and it's definately the best looking IM program I've ever seen... the newest version even allows you to send pictures. I'd kill to have it....
    The site now says that it's coming in July, hopefully it will work on the treo.
    Global Posts
    289 Global Posts
    Here's a copy of the PRC file I made if someone can try it out ...
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Quote Originally Posted by ca_anderson4
    I upgraded my firmware yesterday, and now the j2me runtime I bought from palmone causes my treo to reset. Has anybody else experienced this?

-Charlie
    This is a common problem. Delete the JVM and reinstall it and it should be good.
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    ...not to mention numerous midlet games etc. That in itself is a benefit to the end user...
    Yeah, and the games suck.

By the way, you don't have to pay for IBM's Java VM (the one being promoted by PalmOne). When I registered (with bogus e-mail address, of course), I indicated I had a Tungsten W. Same JVM installs on all the systems. I don't know if selecting Tungsten W enabled me to download it for free, but in any case, I didn't shell out $7 for this memory pig of dubious value.
    MAnorton - I tried that java site. Paid Handango and then could not download the program from Palmone. Each time got message - "page cannot be displayed".Takes fporebver tpo get yopur money back from these people.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast