Global Posts
    289 Global Posts
    OK, help needed. I have checked some threads here, but can't seem to get fixed, what I am assuming is a common problem, that is making the phone ringer or alarms loud enough to be audible when inside of a case.

I am using the case that came with the Treo (still trying to figure out why I need something different), and I have the volume on the Treo as well as the volume on pTunes set to the max. I used the "loud ringer" that came as a built in ringtone, and even tried using Lightwav, but still, I can barely hear the ringer when I get a call when it is in the case attached to my belt. I have it set to vibrate as well which seems to help a little.

I have used a wav editor to try to increase the volume and it seems to be almost a minimal increase. I read in a thread that MP3's have the ability to have louder volume. Is there any value in trying to use a MP3 editor to increase the volume? If so, any recommendations on editors just for this purpose?

What are others doing to remedy what I assume is a common problem?

Thanks in advance.
    Here is a wav file I use with Lightwav. People hate it, it's so loud. But you can hear it in a crowded bar.
    New Treo 700P Sprint User
    Old Treo 600 Sprint User
    Let's try this one more time. I don't think they will let me post a wave file.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    New Treo 700P Sprint User
    Old Treo 600 Sprint User
    <body bgcolor="#ffffff">
    <p><font size="-2" color="#4684ff" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"><b>imageone</b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"> &#x2022; current - <b>PowerBook G4 - Mac OS X - white iPod video 60GB - Treo 650 - 700p (Sprint)<br>
    </b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">retired - Visor Deluxe - Visor Prism - Kyocera 6035 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Blackberry 7250</font></p>
    </body>
    Quote Originally Posted by noahas
    I am using the case that came with the Treo (still trying to figure out why I need something different), and I have the volume on the Treo as well as the volume on pTunes set to the max. I used the "loud ringer" that came as a built in ringtone, and even tried using Lightwav, but still, I can barely hear the ringer when I get a call when it is in the case attached to my belt. I have it set to vibrate as well which seems to help a little.
    If the case you are using is the one I got with mine, the speaker on the phone is obstructed. I have been using this case, and I like it a lot. The speaker is wide open.

I can't answer the question about MP3's being louder than Wav files, however I have found that using louder sounds (songs) I like make them more recognizable to my ears in noisy environments.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Global Posts
    289 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eEditor
    If the case you are using is the one I got with mine, the speaker on the phone is obstructed. I have been using this case, and I like it a lot. The speaker is wide open.
    Great call, I was trying to figure out why I needed a new case when the stock one seemed fine. Would you say there is a significant difference in ring volume when you use a case like the covertec where the speaker is uncovered vs. the standard issue palmone case where it is covered?

Thanks for the help.
    I can hear my phone ring clearly inside most noisy food places, airport terminals, and inside the car when I'm on the freeway listening to the radio. I don't frequent too many other loud places. I noticed a pretty big difference in the volume of the rings when I switched to the new case. I also like the fact that I can keep my earpiece plugged into the phone when it's inside the case, as well as see who's calling without removing the phone. It also has a strap that keeps my SD card firmly in place, and the the camera is accessible at all times. Can't do much of that with the one you are currently using.
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    I recommend carefully choosing the right mp3 song for a ringtone. Those that have some good drum sounds in the beginning will transmit better then really high frequency stuff. Also an MP3 in which the sounds change rapdily in the first 10 to 15 seconds will make a better chance of you hearing it than a repeating tone that can get lost in the background. Also, some CD's are just plain recorded "hotter" than others, hence the Mp3 may be louder as well.