Page 1 of 12 12345611 ... LastLast
    TAKEphONE is released!
    http://www.shsh.com/
    Is this the offical release of the Beta that us Treo600 people have been using, or is thisan interiely new build?
    Quote Originally Posted by Burkhardi
    Is this the offical release of the Beta that us Treo600 people have been using, or is thisan interiely new build?
    Yep - 6.00 is the official release of 5.05m 99z16
    Shimon Shnitzer
    Maker of TAKEphONE, 2day, 4cast, 2dial & CallCards -
    "Take telephony into your Palm"
    Web: http://www.shsh.com/products
    Blog: http://www.shsh.com/wordpress
    eMail: contact@shsh.com
    I want some TakePhone users to tell me what they get out of this software - (sorry Shimon - not you, if you could). I've checked it out, and I'm still mystified as to what it'll do for those of us with 600s. I can see its value if I was dialing from contacts via Bluetooth and a T|E for example, but since all we need to do with our 600s is just hit a couple of keys and the contact is there, then press the center nav button and we're dialing, I can't see what TakePhone will do for me.
    I know people use it, and I'm not saying it's not good or useful or valuable - I just want to know what others see in it that I don't. Give me a clue, takephone users. Convince me.
    I feel the same way. It looks useful, but maybe not to me. I don't know.
    I dont use it for all it's worth but what I do use rocks. It makes finding contacts and dialing a snap. Faster than looking in Agendus. I dont use the built in contacts app cause I think it sucks. I can have someone from my contacts on the phone in seconds using Takephone. Thanks Shimon!
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    quote:
    It makes finding contacts and dialing a snap. End quote.

I'm really <not> trying to be combative here, but what could be easier than hitting one or two letters, having that contact show up, and mash the center nav to dial? How does TakePhone improve on that?
    (I also use Agendus, and agree that the dialing aspect of the contact section is not friendly or intuitive - I don't use that at all).

I'm really just scratching my head, trying to see how TP can improve on an already simple and elegant process. Tell me how you see it. (I know that TP has many other functions, like SMS or email from the contact lookup, but I'm just interested to hear from Woof what he likes better about the lookup and dial aspect.).
    Quote Originally Posted by nrosser
    quote:
    It makes finding contacts and dialing a snap. End quote.

I'm really <not> trying to be combative here, but what could be easier than hitting one or two letters, having that contact show up, and mash the center nav to dial? How does TakePhone improve on that?
    (I also use Agendus, and agree that the dialing aspect of the contact section is not friendly or intuitive - I don't use that at all).

I'm really just scratching my head, trying to see how TP can improve on an already simple and elegant process. Tell me how you see it. (I know that TP has many other functions, like SMS or email from the contact lookup, but I'm just interested to hear from Woof what he likes better about the lookup and dial aspect.).

Good point. I guess I just dont care for the built in dialer. The Contacts screen is ugly. Lame excuse huh? TP just has a nicer look to it and it has all the options built in. I can look up a contact and do whatever. Honestly I havent used the Contacts since I got the phone. I just deleted TP and played with the stock app and it's basically the look. Also I like to use the screen to dial. It's easier for me than the kb. It's pretty much 6 of one 1/2 dozen f the other. When I had a Sumsung I330 I thought TP was a waste, but it works for me here. Gee I guess I bought software I didnt need. Oh well I like it. Have you tried it out to see if you like it?

Is that what you wanted? I just like the look and feel compared to Contacts.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    let me know when I can barge in...
    Shimon Shnitzer
    Shimon,

I deleted TP to compare it to the Contatcts and now I cant find my reg code. And then realized I didnt need to. Bonehead I am. Sent you an email. Can you help?

And of course barge in.
    — Ed Howdershelt
    Quote Originally Posted by TAKEphONE
    let me know when I can barge in...
    I'd like to hear your input because while I tried TakephONE and thought it was OK, I didn't see any compelling reason to get it. Specifically, which features are over and above the built in apps. You know better than anyone what your product can do.
    yes, i'm facing this same question. my takephone trial just ran out so now i'm switching between the built in contacts app, contacts5 and arrow launcher...there's something i like about takephone, but at this point it's not compelling enough to make me jump up and register it. i'd love to hear what you have to say about it shimon.
    heh - I've unleashed a monster, unwittingly. Ok - Shimon, bring it. I'm absolutely open minded, and pretty much love to dump as much stuff on my Treo as possible, as long as it makes sense.
    So, beyond what's on your website, which I've checked many times, tell us what value TP will give for dialing and such, since we already have a pretty simple process now for that with our Treos. Clue us in. Seems like I'm not the only one pondering this question.
    The dialer/contacts is a dialer with contacts. TP is soooo much more. You can navigate to contacts from the dialer without having to leave TP, whereas if you go to your address book from the builtin dialer you've LEFT the dialer. TP is a far more integrated and complete application.
    quote: "You can navigate to contacts from the dialer without having to leave TP, whereas if you go to your address book from the builtin dialer you've LEFT the dialer."

I'm curious about the statement of 'if you go to your address book from the built in dialer you've LEFT the dialer'. I'm not sure I totally agree with that, at least based on how I use the contacts app. It would seem, based on your statements, that you perceive the built in dialer app and contacts app to be separate apps, but I don't see it that way. I think they're just one thing together - I look up contacts via the thumboard, and then either dial them or edit them, or modify them - all the same. I access and find a contact via the thumboard (for me, it's typically first initial with one or two letters of the last name), and then either dial them by mashing the number that I want to dial (work, cell, home, whatever), or I bring up the record for the contact by scrolling up to the name (rather than a number) of the looked up contact, mash the center nav, and the contact record opens.

See why I'm confused by your statement Alli: 'if you go to the address book from the built in dialer, you've left the dialer'. In the way I use it, there's no difference at all in the address book AND the dialer. They are one and the same. (maybe you're defining dialer differently, and, more critically, why am I spending so much cycle time on this anyway - does it really matter in the grand scheme of life? ah well).

Help me understand your point, and maybe we can drag this thread down to mind-numbing nothingness.
    TakePhone 6 is a Great App for SMS and Email that can be sent directly from the phone book.

Shimon is a great guy with great support.

Find other balls to break.
    whatever. Didja read the posts? I'm seeking data, in an even handed fashion. Not busting any chops or flaming anyone.
    I recall trying TakePhone pretty early on (before the Treo600 specific revisions) and I really didn't find a compelling reason to purchase it. About a month or two ago, I tried it out again and boy was I impressed. TakePhone does so much (and does it well) that I couldn't possibly do it justice by trying to list everything, but let me at least list a couple of the things that are the easiest for someone who hasn't tried it out yet, to grasp.

One of the major improvements (my humble opinion) that I yearned for (and which TakePhone does) was the ability to just hit the "phone" button and have The dialing app react the same way that the old Treo300 used to. That is, it will interpret your dialing to see whether you are dialing a number or looking for a contact, all from the same "speed dial" view. Now, TakePhone does this in a different way than the old Treo300 used to, but it accomplishes just about the same result, and it works well.

TakePhone also excels in some really simple areas that the regular contact app fails in. Using Takephone improves on the default contact lookup app so much! For instance, it always used to bug me that if I had the name and company of someone in my contact list, I could never look up that contact by using just the company name... Takephone solves that. Takephone also lets you search within fields in a way that the default contact app just doesn't do. This again is actually quite useful: let say that you have a contact set as "James & Jill Jones." If I was using the default contacts app, searching for "Jill" wouldn't bring up anything. With TakePhone, searching for "Jill" will bring up "James & Jill Jones."

I'm invested in TakePhone only in so much as it does what I need it to do, but I would just say that I suggest that anyone that desires a better way to dial and especially look up contacts, should at least give TakePhone a shot. The icing on the cake is that the developer is extremely polite and responsive to his customers.
    Hi,

Well - here goes...

I am afraid I dont have much time to prepare a full-featured review, so I'll just drop in some points as I think of them:

1. TAKEphONE allows you to enter & dial "extra digits" in ALL your contacts (not only the favourites).

2. You can use MULTIPLE pauses ('hard' and 'timed') within one number.

3. You can define CALLING-CARDS.

4. You can dial DTMF via the speakers (make calls to your home landline) - using an additional app called TeleTone.

5. Searching: search ALL fields, search in fields, within fields, within words.

6. Send SMS & emails.

7. Schedule calls into your Datebook.

I will add more as I remember them...
    Shimon Shnitzer
    interesting - thanks for the info.
Page 1 of 12 12345611 ... LastLast