Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm moving in a few weeks, and was planning on just using my Treo exclusively, rather then get a landline.

The biggest advantage having a landline gives me is having multiple phones in different rooms that ring and that I can use to take a call. I'd rather not have to carry my phone with me all the time in my own apartment, so I was wondering if anyone else has replaced their landline with their Treo 600, and how they deal with this.

I'm looking for some way to be able to at least be notified the phone is ringing wherever I am in my apartment (without having to carry the phone with me). If I was able to tie the phone in with the existing phone lines in the apartment so I could hook up any phone, that'd be even cooler but I'm doubting that's possible.
    One of the reasons that I was told not to give up the landline, is that 911 emergency services can pull up the location of a landline phone.

C
    Quote Originally Posted by controller
    One of the reasons that I was told not to give up the landline, is that 911 emergency services can pull up the location of a landline phone.
    They can also trainagulate the location of your cellular 911 call.
    If you have certain phone models (not the Treo 600), you can hook them up to your home phone lines and actually use the cell phone on the landline handsets.

Also, my wife was turned down for a credit card because she used her cell number instead of her landline. For some reason, her identity didn't "verify" with the cell number. She had to give a landline number and then she was approved.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Quote Originally Posted by coryburton
    From what I understand, far less accurate than a postal address.

C
    Quote Originally Posted by controller
    From what I understand, far less accurate than a postal address.

C

Not true really... remember that high school pipe bomber in Ohio? One of the ways the police were able to catch him was by triangulating his cellphone as he drove along an interstate....and he wasn't even making a call! The technology is probably more accurate than you think.

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSkipper
    I'm moving in a few weeks, and was planning on just using my Treo exclusively, rather then get a landline.

The biggest advantage having a landline gives me is having multiple phones in different rooms that ring and that I can use to take a call. I'd rather not have to carry my phone with me all the time in my own apartment, so I was wondering if anyone else has replaced their landline with their Treo 600, and how they deal with this.

I'm looking for some way to be able to at least be notified the phone is ringing wherever I am in my apartment (without having to carry the phone with me). If I was able to tie the phone in with the existing phone lines in the apartment so I could hook up any phone, that'd be even cooler but I'm doubting that's possible.
    Have 3 Treo 600s - 2 are Landline Ports.

Signal CONSTANCY - Phone and Data - don't make assumptions.

It is a wonderful situation - when it works.

Plan an easy to use backup method, that you won't have to explain to others.

==> Keep at least 1 landline. There will be times you will need it.

As the infrastructure is maintained / modified - you want an alternative.

Sprint offers a reduction in their SprintPCS bill, if you switch to a Sprint Landline.

If your using Cable - Investigage VoIP as another alternative.

The "Call Forwarding" option is valuable.

You can still make outgoing calls from your Treo,

while incomming is auto-forwarded to your landline.
    Carl why do all your posts look like ad copy?

On topic: A landline to get a credit card approved is a pretty weak excuse to keep a landline. I got rid of my landline and went with VoIP with vonage.com.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    Carl why do all your posts look like ad copy?

On topic: A landline to get a credit card approved is a pretty weak excuse to keep a landline. I got rid of my landline and went with VoIP with vonage.com.
    Stupidity, raised by wolves - take you pick.
    Raised by wolves??
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    Here's another vote for www.vonage.com. We use our cell phones for most everything, but have a VoIP connection for convenience, for the kids when they're home alone, our security system, etc...
    Months ago I had heard Vonage cost around $15/month. However, a week or so ago I saw an web advertisement for Vonage saying it was $24.99. Doesn't sound much cheaper than a basic landline.
    Quote Originally Posted by gchomuk
    Months ago I had heard Vonage cost around $15/month. However, a week or so ago I saw an web advertisement for Vonage saying it was $24.99. Doesn't sound much cheaper than a basic landline.
    There are three Vonage plans; you saw the advert for their intermediate one.
    --
    K7AAY
    Quote Originally Posted by coryburton
    Most jurisdictions have not completed E911 which is required for locator service. In many places, the money you have been paying in 911 service fees went to other uses, instead.

Also, different cellular carriers implement location finding differently. Sprint went with adding partial GPS circuitry in every new phone sold; other carriers tried triangulation, but one of the major vendors offering triangulation equipment failed to meet deadlines.
    --
    K7AAY
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSkipper

Cingular has an add-on kit which permits this, but it does not work with the Treo.
    --
    K7AAY
    I have not had a landline for 4+ years now. My wife and I are both on sprint. I don't see the need for a landline, obviously. I'm not worried about having to dial 911 and not being able to speak to give my address, and I don't worry about missing phone calls if my phone is not with me. I'm not tied to my phone. Perhaps if I have kids and need to know their whereabouts or something I may want to have a landline, but otherwise, I see no need for it. I have no solution to your problem of making all the phones in the house ring without a landline - if a tree falls in the woods and no one is around to hear it, does it make a noise? If I'm not near my phone when it rings, do I care that I missed a call? Not likely. Also, say goodbye to annoying telemarketers
    Quote Originally Posted by biscoradio
    {snip}I have no solution to your problem of making all the phones in the house ring without a landline {snip}
    I think, that if you took a little care in reading this thread, youwould quickly discover that I was responding to the Original Poster. I don't have a problem with that.. the Original Poster did.

In addition, do you know how many cell channels there are available to you? The typical cellular install has 513 channels per square mile.

Now, look up how many people per square mile there are in your community. Do that quickly, for only the first 513 cell users will get dial tone in an emergency.
    --
    K7AAY
    Global Posts
    200 Global Posts
    I havn't had a land line for at least 2 years now as well. I must say...I thought it would be a problem but now looking back...I don't miss it a bit. It is great when people come to my door trying to sell me security systems....the first question I ask is "how do you monitor it?" ....the response..."uh..by phone line"
    I then explain that I don't have one....and he gives me that deer in the headlights look. I even had one ask me "how do you live like that?"

As for hearing it all thru the house...I set my ringer to high, and I have a small house

Quote Originally Posted by johnbartley
    I think, that if you took a little care in reading this thread, youwould quickly discover that I was responding to the Original Poster. I don't have a problem with that.. the Original Poster did.
    Umm... I'm curious why you think I was only responding to you. I stated that I didn't know what to do about getting the phone to ring all over the house, I didn't mention your name or in any way imply that I was responding directly to your post. Interesting. I did read the thread, and that is why I addressed the original poster's query. He asked "I was wondering if anyone else has replaced their landline with their Treo 600, and how they deal with this"... I responded that yes, I have replaced a landline with a cellphone (specifically my Treo) and I have given up the leash of having to answer the phone every time it rings. If I'm not near it, I don't hear it, I don't answer, not a big deal. What do people do when they are not home and their landline rings?

In addition, do you know how many cell channels there are available to you? The typical cellular install has 513 channels per square mile.

Now, look up how many people per square mile there are in your community. Do that quickly, for only the first 513 cell users will get dial tone in an emergency.
    If there is an emergency where 513 users are on their sprint cell phones within a square mile of me, well, I think the authorities are well aware of an emergency in my area and I doubt they have enough operators to handle the calls. I'm not really afraid of an emergency on a mass scale - my phone call probably wouldn't make much of a difference in one anyway. Actually, I'm not scared of an emergency at all where I'd have to use my phone. What are people so afraid of that they think they need to be reachable/ able to contact authorities all the time? I'm not worried at all about someone entering my house with the intent of injuring me. If there's a fire, the first thing I'm gonna do is assess it, and if I can't put it out with my little extinguisher, I'm gettin' outta the house with my phone and calling the fire department down the street to come put it out. Hmmm.. What else.... Health issues? I've never had a problem getting a dial tone from my phone at my house, I doubt I'll have a problem when I start bleeding profusely and need to call. Anyway, I'm not worried about having a phone signal in a case of a massive local emergency where the lines are tied up.
    Even if you do not have land line service, you should still be able to plug a phone into the jack and call 911. Atleast thats the the way it is in NY.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast