Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    #21  
    Thanks for all the responses so far. I'm not really concerned about 911, if there's an emergency and I'm in good enough condition to dial 911, I can probably tell them where I'm at as well (I know there are situations where that's not the case, but what are the odds...?)

As for the "leash" of answering the phone every time it rings, I don't really have that now, at least on my cell phone - I'll answer it if I feel like. I figure if I'm hanging out in my apartment not doing much and someone calls me, I'd probably want to pick it up. But I have a tendancy to wander around, from room to room, and would rather not carry my phone just in case someone calls.

I mean, if some cute girl that I just met decides to give me a call, I don't want to miss that call in my own apartment (ok, in that case I probably WILL carry the phone with me everywhere, even in my own apartment )
    Quote Originally Posted by heberman
    If you have certain phone models (not the Treo 600), you can hook them up to your home phone lines and actually use the cell phone on the landline handsets.

Also, my wife was turned down for a credit card because she used her cell number instead of her landline. For some reason, her identity didn't "verify" with the cell number. She had to give a landline number and then she was approved.
    I bought a 2003 grand am direct using GMAC financing. I provided my cell phone number and got approved for 60 months 0% APR
    I haven't had my home phone is 3 months. I thought I'd go way over my cel minutes but actually I don't. Any business calls I make in the day are short n sweet. Any calls to gab with my homies can wait till after 7pm free night time minutes. Only problem is when I have a tech problem with the phone & need to call Sprint. Or if you have a Treo 600 with Sprint, you know that many calls go staright to voicemail for no reason. But then again when I had my home phone, I only paid $6 a month for unlimited calling with NO features. So many people load up their home phones with $60-$100 a month in additional features. Well if you think about it you don't really need call waiting, voicemail, 3-way, call forwarding, etc. I have a machine & if I'm not home, they will call my cell anyway. $6 a month! Unless you need to send n receive a fax. Then you may need a llandline. But you could do all that from a PC. Including VOIP...
    Honestly, the only thing keeping me tied to a landline phone is that my home security system phones into the police dept. with the landline. Otherwise, I'd just go with Wifey and my cells.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSkipper
    I'm moving in a few weeks, and was planning on just using my Treo exclusively, rather then get a landline.

The biggest advantage having a landline gives me is having multiple phones in different rooms that ring and that I can use to take a call. I'd rather not have to carry my phone with me all the time in my own apartment, so I was wondering if anyone else has replaced their landline with their Treo 600, and how they deal with this.

I'm looking for some way to be able to at least be notified the phone is ringing wherever I am in my apartment (without having to carry the phone with me). If I was able to tie the phone in with the existing phone lines in the apartment so I could hook up any phone, that'd be even cooler but I'm doubting that's possible.
    Landline-less since 1999. I love it! There hasn't been a single moment (yet) that I have missed the landline. During major emergencies like 9/11 for example, I was downtown DC, so a landline would not have helped. When I got to the apartment I contacted everyone I had to through the PC. And when we lost power for a few days because of the hurricane (either last year or 2 years ago) my Sprint service was still up and running. Just take a short drive to recharge the battery if needed.

However, I don't think there is a way to be notified (unless you purchase a baby monitor and have it next to the Treo). I have a cradle on my computer desk, which covers the living room, dining room and kitchen area. I also have another one in the bedroom for night time.
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    On topic: A landline to get a credit card approved is a pretty weak excuse to keep a landline. I got rid of my landline and went with VoIP with vonage.com.
    I didn't say he shouldn't lose his landline because of a credit card approval process - I was just sharing my experience on the issue.

In fact, we dropped our home landline home about 18 months ago. However, I have a home-office, where I still have a landline to get the highest quality voice calls for certain business calls.

I've seriously considered VoIP with Vonage. However, my broadband connection isn't reliable, and is out about 3-percent of the time. During those times, I use a free dialup connection for internet, and can still make phone calls on the landline.

My solution is: I have saved money by dropping the home landline, but I still have access to the landline in my home office when I need it.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    One other thing, my landline is also nice to have for my kids when we take the cell phone with us away from home, so the kids can still call out. (A second cell phone for them would also work.)
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Quote Originally Posted by biscoradio
    Also, say goodbye to annoying telemarketers
    Is there a rule preventing telemarketers from calling cellphones? Aside from the do-not-call list?
    "Oooh oooh aaah aaah! Slap!" - MAdMoNKEY
    There is a law preventing telemarketers from knowingly calling a cell phone. They cannot call you and make you infer costs - when you answer your cell phone, you are paying for the time you are on it, and therefore, telemarketers are not allowed to call. If a telemarketer calls your cell, let them know it is a cell phone and they will get off the line quickly. I've been called by a telemarketer only once on my cell phone.

I think there is legislation on the way that may be changing this law(how bad is that?), but as of right now, I am quite sure this is still the case.

I am not a lawyer.
    I have been using vonage for 8 months now and its great. when the line does have problems the call forward to my cell. this also lets me know the broadband connection has a problem a little self troubleshooting.

Quote Originally Posted by heberman
    I didn't say he shouldn't lose his landline because of a credit card approval process - I was just sharing my experience on the issue.

In fact, we dropped our home landline home about 18 months ago. However, I have a home-office, where I still have a landline to get the highest quality voice calls for certain business calls.

I've seriously considered VoIP with Vonage. However, my broadband connection isn't reliable, and is out about 3-percent of the time. During those times, I use a free dialup connection for internet, and can still make phone calls on the landline.

My solution is: I have saved money by dropping the home landline, but I still have access to the landline in my home office when I need it.
    Palm Pilot -> Palm 505 -> Palm Vii-> Ipaq 3670 -> Nokia 6800 ->Treo 600 -> Treo 650 Unlocked GSM
    Service Attws
    I've been without a landline since 1998. The issue with worrying about hearing the ringer (while in another room or area normally covered in a multiple landline covered area) went away within a few weeks. You just pay more attention and have a greater awareness of this.
    Edit:
    As far as notification of a call or missed call, why not d/l a ringer thats very jarring and grabs your attention?
    Palm III - Kyo 6035 -Treo 600
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12