Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    On an unrelated note, can anyone submit the "notify me when available" form on that page? I'm getting an internal server error....
    Here's a little log of what happened for me:

I had 12Mb free on my Treo.
    I downloaded Backgammon.
    I downloaded the Windows installer and ran it.
    Installer asks you to choose your username.
    It asked me to HotSYnc once to install the updater.
    Upon completion, it asked me to reset my Treo.
    The Treo comes back to life and starts a program with the name SPR 1.10.
    Very quickly this completed and ...
    Sprint PCS Treo Updater starts up automatically saying it was Programming modem. This took a while - it starts very slooowwly. It took about 6 minutes.
    Then I went back to my PC and it gets you to restore all your data with another HotSync. ROM updates always nuke your RAM.
    My phone info screen now reads: Software: Treo 600-1.20-SPR
    I synched my old data back. I had to reset one more time after the synch but I dont think this had anything to do with the updater. It is just like a post hard reset restore hotsync.
    All is well. No perceptible differences but I will go thru the list of new stuff and see if any is helpful.
    I did notice an undocumented feature which is SMS privacy mode in the SMS application. I can hide the text of inbound messages from the alert screen now.

All in all - a smooth process and it took me 30 minutes.

I do have GoodLink also that will not work until I reprovision the account with my helpdesk. Corporate mail applications appear to have a security protection on them which prevents you from just synching back your old data. I suppose this is a good thing in case someone tried to restore your account to a device on your PC cradle. The encryption key file does not get backed up during HotSync so it cannot be restored. (actually even if you try to get smart and use BackupBuddy, this does not work either. The key seems to be time and hardware related).
    okay, installed updater, reinstalled my apps, whole process took, like 20 minutes? check my post time when I said I was gonna do it...screen is brighter, phone works, checking on the email bloat issue...
    what the hey - I'm diving in now with my Sprint 600. As Bill Cosby said 'hope the plane don't (sic) crash!!

It's updating the device now - so far so good....yawn.....
    Any reason why I cannot install the updater app to my SD card (I use a USB card reader) and run it from there if I do not have enough room in my main T600 memory? I would rather not delete apps and such to free up the space PalmOne says I need.
    Oh, wait a minute...I forgot that the ROM update will wipe out the RAM with a Reset and I will need to reload anyway...still worth a try from the SD card.
    Global Posts
    282 Global Posts
    the one thing that I really, really, really want is to be able to do voice dialing and voice recording and it appears that this update doesn't provide for either (on Sprint - yes I know I could pay for it w/ Sprint, but I'd rather not)....

Oh well....
    tried to connect using the free beta email, but it hangs for a while, then doesn't retrieve the message; I've got snapper and i can still retrieve my emails there. not sure about this yet. gonna recheck my account info, make sure i put it in right.
    okay, could be coincidence, but blazer has been blazing since the update. trying big sites now.
    Quote Originally Posted by msgott
    the one thing that I really, really, really want is to be able to do voice dialing and voice recording and it appears that this update doesn't provide for either (on Sprint - yes I know I could pay for it w/ Sprint, but I'd rather not)....

Oh well....

WTF! I thought the whole point of the update was voice recording....

It doesn't mention it as an update either.....
    Treo 600 Updater 1.20 (Sprint PCS)

Benefits of the software update include:
    The palmOne POP3 email client has been incorporated into the Sprint ROM. The client has been preconfigured for the Sprint PCS POP3 settings.

The browser now supports playback of voice memos that might be received with incoming Picture Mail messages.

The browser now supports playback of inline MIDI ringtones.

The SMS application now supports Message Priority so that users can assign high or low priority to all outgoing messages. Additionally, all incoming messages now display high or low priority.

The audio-quality reliability is enhanced.

The palmOne car kit now is supported.

Browser has been improved to better handle redirect links used in conjunction with the Sprint download service.

Software now reflects the new name of our company - palmOne.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12