Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I followed several threads in the forums and decided to try the software myself.

As a setup to my comments. I want to use my Treo as a "cache"... meaning, I don't expect to answer emails, etc. but want to access to several things when traveling. With that in mind, here are some comments.

1) PDF support - it has been said many times over in various messages. PDF support on the Palm pretty much sucks. DTG is no exception, maybe slightly better than the Adobe version, but unusable for me none the less. What is so hard about this? I get PDF files from American Express Travel (my companies travel provider). These PDF documents include tables/graphics. These become unreadable/unusable using Abobe. DTG is slightly better, but I can't scroll left to right. Game over! The first time I go outside the US (to Germany for example), and have to show someone an address that doesn't speak English I will be in a world of hurt (pardon the pun). This means I have to print the PDF ahead of time. That defeats the whole purpose.

2) DTG main screen - unless I am missing something, there is no way to have files default to the expansion card. I drop it to the Documents to go GUI, then I have to tag the files and move then to the expansion card.

3) Inbox to Go - remember I mentioned I needed a "cache" and that was it? First issue: there was no way to default my mail to the SD card, so the sync process used up most of my main RAM. I did later find a setting (on the Treo, not the Windows app) to move attachments to the SD card. How silly. How about allowing me to specify this up front? Second issue: Not all of my mail sync'd and I can't figure out why. Nothing in my sent folder sync'd and I couldn't find a setting to force it. Issue 3: There is no way to sync folders. Typically I create folders under my inbox, i.e. "ASIA Pac Trip May 2004". In this folder I copy all my correspondance with local offices as well as the PDF files that I can't read on my treo... etc. If I could sync these it would be nice, otherwise I need to change the way I am doing things today.

4) Searching for supported files... default is silly. Why does it do this search every time? I did find a way to turn this off later, but how about allowing me to specify a default folder? DTG should know where it put the files. This search should be OFF by default. Last time I cancelled it, it warm booted my Treo. EXCELLENT! I'll stop now and make sure I have BackupMan ready to go.

5) Slideshow to go won't work for me. The graphic conversion looks like the rest of the conversions (you know what).
    The ReqWireless browser (WebViewer) will display PDFs and MS Word files for you transparently.
    Can't help with your other issues.
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
  3.    #3  
    Thanks, I downloaded ReqWireless and found out I should have been more specific. :-) I want to view all these from the SD card. ReqWireless doesn't support viewing files saved on the handheld.
    It's quite weird that you can't scroll view your charts and so forth.
    I can do it in my DTG. All I have to do i tap on the chart and a left to right scroll bar appears.
    I don't really use it extensively so I'm not sure about the rest of the issues.
    Sorry
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by JoJo_78
    It's quite weird that you can't scroll view your charts and so forth.
    I can do it in my DTG. All I have to do i tap on the chart and a left to right scroll bar appears.
    I don't really use it extensively so I'm not sure about the rest of the issues.
    Sorry
    The issue is actually in the quality of DTG when it converts the PDF. The chart I mention converts to such poor quality it is unreadable.

I went to Repligo and the quality is much better. In fact, Repligo has been able to convert everything I have sent at it. It's final product is much better that DTG.
    I am wondering if calibration of the screen once in a while improves the scrolling up and down and left and right? Just asking.... And guys/gals, when you name those programs etc. does that mean you can find them by typing www. and then the name you type or does one have to Google or what? Thanks. AustexTreo600 5/31/2004 at 5 pm DST
    I bought InBox 2 Go because of the promises made on the DataViz website. After playing with it for an hour I promptly returned it for a full refund. The feature set is anemic compared to other business-class e-mail apps. IMHO it is worthless piece of software that offers nothing more than what you could get synching with the mail program that ships with the Treo. The fact they say it supports IMAP is the closest thing to a lie I have seen in a long time.

I am using Palm VersaMail right now to connect (and synch) with an Exchange server via IMAP. It works but there are a few things I wish it had or worked better. Anxiously awaiting SnapperMail 2.0.
    Quote Originally Posted by AusTexTreo600
    And guys/gals, when you name those programs etc. does that mean you can find them by typing www. and then the name you type or does one have to Google or what?
    You're better off doing a Google search (and what I do just to emphasize that I want it for my palm and not for another handheld is that I add 'palm os' in paretheses to the search) as many of these products are made by companies with diff names. For eample Documents To Go is made by Dataviz.

Quote Originally Posted by driddle
    I went to Repligo and the quality is much better. In fact, Repligo has been able to convert everything I have sent at it. It's final product is much better that DTG.
    Isn't RepliGo a PDF reader only?
    DTG does a lot more than just PDF. I agree that DTG is proving not to be so great. So does anyone know of any othe alternative that does what DTG does and even more.
    Like right now I have Inbox To Go (part of DTG package) as do nothing while I sync b/c syncing freezes when it's on synchronize or anything else.
    Quote Originally Posted by treo-mike
    I bought InBox 2 Go because of the promises made on the DataViz website. After playing with it for an hour I promptly returned it for a full refund. The feature set is anemic compared to other business-class e-mail apps. IMHO it is worthless piece of software that offers nothing more than what you could get synching with the mail program that ships with the Treo. The fact they say it supports IMAP is the closest thing to a lie I have seen in a long time.
    I totally agree with you!
    the problem is that all I want is to sync my mail from my Outlook (as my service provider doesn't offer internet via the phone) and so VersaMail won't work for me.
    Do you know of an app that would do this?
    I can testify to the fact that Inbox To Go doesn't do this very well at all
    Yikes! I just checked VersaMail and I read that it DOES sync with MS Outlook!!!

Ok, now the question is will it make my Outlook crash like Chapura and Inbox To Go does?
    Or is it Outlook the problem?
    Everytime I get an app that syncs with Outlook it makes it crash...does anyone else have this problem???

Treo-Mike did you sync ITG with your Outlook??? and if you did, did it make your Outlook act any different?
    I bought Inbox to Go for only one reason. You can download and read Excel files. All the others I've tried seem to convert the Excel file to text which is pretty useless. On Inbox to Go, you get a real Excel spreadsheet. Other than that, there's not much use for it.
    JoJo - I am using VersaMail 2.5 and it synchs with my Outlook perfectly (no problems). Not sure but it sounds like your crash could be Outlook related.

Jachang - The latest version for Docs 2 Go opens native Excel and word files. Not really sure why you would even need InBox 2 go to do that. I open word and Excel attachments all the time from VersaMail and the Mail program already on the Treo.
    Or does it require going through an Exchange server? I can't involve my corporate IT department, as they can't even manage to keep Outlook Web Access up reliably.

I'm trying InBoxToGo, and find that its redirection is pretty fundamental. SymmetryPro's redirection software works much better (although it is very pricey) despite a timestamp bug that is incredibly confusing.

What other software loaded onto my XP machine at the office will notify me of email in my Inbox, and will allow me a reliable and timely method of replying and forwarding? Since this is coming out of my pocket, I'm more concerned with price than I should be. (Oh, and because of this, I would prefer that the email be sent to my Treo through GSM GPRS data, not SMS notification as Basejet does. While my T-Mo service has unlimited data, each SMS costs me a nickel.)
  14.    #14  
    Isn't RepliGo a PDF reader only?
    DTG does a lot more than just PDF. I agree that DTG is proving not to be so great. So does anyone know of any othe alternative that does what DTG does and even more.
    Like right now I have Inbox To Go (part of DTG package) as do nothing while I sync b/c syncing freezes when it's on synchronize or anything else.[/QUOTE]

No, it converts just about everything. I have converted DOC, XLS, PDF, Internet pages, TXT files, PPT's and other types.

It integrates with some apps, like MS and IE. It also adds a Repligo item to the printers, so anything you can print you can convert with Repligo.

Much more powerful that DTG in that regards and better than anything else I have found.
    JoJo - I am using VersaMail 2.5 and it synchs with my Outlook perfectly (no problems). Not sure but it sounds like your crash could be Outlook related.

Jachang - The latest version for Docs 2 Go opens native Excel and word files. Not really sure why you would even need InBox 2 go to do that. I open word and Excel attachments all the time from VersaMail and the Mail program already on the Treo.
    I'm using PCS Business Connection from Sprint for my e-mail. I can receive attachments, but they only show as text. That's why I use Inbox to Go. I don't get attachments too often, but if I do, I'll use Inbox to Go to read the e-mail and see the attachment. I don't have any other mail program on my Treo. (Maybe I should, tho. Sounds like others are doing this a whole lot easier than I am! )
    I liked ITG for downloading word/excel attachments, but that was it. I am using Versamail for now, waiting too for Snapper 2.0
    Jim@treo1.com
    <a href="http://treo1.com">
    treo1.com
    One Stop, plain and simple
    <a href="http://treo1.com/index650.htm"> Visit our new Treo650 optimized site!!</a>
    <a href="http://palmoscentral.com"> Visit our new website palmOSCentral.com!</a>
    Quote Originally Posted by jachang
    I'm using PCS Business Connection from Sprint for my e-mail. I can receive attachments, but they only show as text. That's why I use Inbox to Go. I don't get attachments too often, but if I do, I'll use Inbox to Go to read the e-mail and see the attachment. I don't have any other mail program on my Treo. (Maybe I should, tho. Sounds like others are doing this a whole lot easier than I am! )
    That's the same way I do my email as well (primarily use BC but when have attachments, will use ITG/DTG to view it). So far, I have not been able to find a better solution. One feature that I have grown accustomed to in BC is the remote file access from any computer with an internet connection. This is the feature that is keeping me tied to BC at the moment and why I continue to use BC. Other email programs may handle email as well as BC (probably even better) but I find the remote file access just too valuable a feature to give up. If the BC software engineers ever find a way to allow BC to use DTG to open attachments, then I will be set.
    A little confused about the Sprint stuff...here is what I do in VersaMail along with DTG 6.

1) Receive e-mail in VersaMail. I am informed there is an attachment. I click to download the whole attachment.

2) I click on the attachment. I am asked if I want to open it up in DTG. I click yes.

3) The word or excel file opens and I look at it.

I would certainly think anything beyond that is more complicated than it needs to be.

As mentioned by others. PDF does not work though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty1781
    That's the same way I do my email as well (primarily use BC but when have attachments, will use ITG/DTG to view it). So far, I have not been able to find a better solution. One feature that I have grown accustomed to in BC is the remote file access from any computer with an internet connection. This is the feature that is keeping me tied to BC at the moment and why I continue to use BC. Other email programs may handle email as well as BC (probably even better) but I find the remote file access just too valuable a feature to give up. If the BC software engineers ever find a way to allow BC to use DTG to open attachments, then I will be set.
    Yes! The BC remote file access is really great. The other thing I like about BC is it "pushes" e-mail to my Treo. I don't have to sync it. When I get an e-mail, I get an alert, and the mail is there. I don't mean an SMS message TELLING me I have e-mail--it's the actual e-mail right there.
    A little confused about the Sprint stuff...here is what I do in VersaMail along with DTG 6.

1) Receive e-mail in VersaMail. I am informed there is an attachment. I click to download the whole attachment.

2) I click on the attachment. I am asked if I want to open it up in DTG. I click yes.

3) The word or excel file opens and I look at it.

I would certainly think anything beyond that is more complicated than it needs to be.
    If it was only that easy... Sprint Business Connection (BC) does not support exporting an email attachment to Documents to Go like Versamail does thus BC users cannot use Docs To Go to view an attachment. Instead, BC uses its own attachment viewer, which is pretty poor and is more a less a text-only viewer. Spreadsheets, PowerPoint slides, etc are butchered by the BC attachment viewer such that they are basically unusable. So what jachang and I are saying is that whenever we get an email that has an attachment, we launch Inbox To Go and retrieve the email with the attachment and Inbox To Go will then allow us to export the attachment to Docs To Go so that we can view the attachment properly. So why not use Versamail or some other email program that supports exporting attachments to Docs to Go and forget about BC? Because those programs do not have the remote file access capabilities that BC has, which allows you to access a specified folder and all its subfolders and files from any computer with an internet connection.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast