Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. cue79's Avatar
    Posts
    357 Posts
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
       #1  
    hi all. someone please tell me that they've had no issues with a Sandisk Extreme 512 in their treo to make me feel better about my purchase. thanks
  2. #2  
    sandisk extreme ?
    I don't recognize the name.
    However I have no problems with my Sandisk Ultra-II 512
    Code:
    Brian K. White  --  brian@aljex.com  --  http://www.aljex.com/bkw/
    +++++[>+++[>+++++>+++++++<<-]<-]>>+.>.+++++.+++++++.-.[>+<---]>++.
    filePro BBx  Linux SCO  Prosper/FACTS AutoCAD  #callahans Satriani
  3. cue79's Avatar
    Posts
    357 Posts
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
       #3  
    Should be an ultra II - says on it Extreme... The link on newegg is http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...180-612&depa=0

    Check it out - and if it's the same cool.. I got it yesterday - the thing would not format in my Treo or be read in my laptop or PC desktop. I RMAed to Sandisk, as NewEgg is out of stock. 2 week turnaround... Just hope it's not all for nothing.
  4. #4  
    I used to use 256 Ultra II with no problems with the Treo.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by cue79
    Should be an ultra II - says on it Extreme... The link on newegg is http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...180-612&depa=0

    Check it out - and if it's the same cool.. I got it yesterday - the thing would not format in my Treo or be read in my laptop or PC desktop. I RMAed to Sandisk, as NewEgg is out of stock. 2 week turnaround... Just hope it's not all for nothing.
    That link looks like exactly what I have. I'm guessing you just got a bad one so you should be fine with the new one. Mine works great.
    Code:
    Brian K. White  --  brian@aljex.com  --  http://www.aljex.com/bkw/
    +++++[>+++[>+++++>+++++++<<-]<-]>>+.>.+++++.+++++++.-.[>+<---]>++.
    filePro BBx  Linux SCO  Prosper/FACTS AutoCAD  #callahans Satriani
  6. cue79's Avatar
    Posts
    357 Posts
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
       #6  
    Great.. Thanks for the info! Do you see a speed difference? (Bought it for the upcoming release of Snapper 2.0 - get lots and lots of email )
  7. #7  
    Anyone know the speed diff between this Extreme vs. the Sandisk 512Mb SD card for $95 at costco online?
    http://www.costco.com/frameset.asp?t...5&log=&NavTop=
    yep.
  8. #8  
    I believe it's about 2MB/sec vs. 9MB/sec. Not sure what the Treo 600 bus will max out at.
  9. #9  
    thx phandel!!

    anyone out there know what the top speed of the Treo600 SD/MMC bus is?
    yep.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by krock
    thx phandel!!

    anyone out there know what the top speed of the Treo600 SD/MMC bus is?
    I'd like to know this as well. I've looked on the Texas Instruments website under the OMAP310 chipset (I think this is the one used in the Treo) and can't find any info regarding max throughput.

    Based on experimentation though, I'm not able to get anywhere need the 9MB/sec write speed quoted for my Sandisk Ultra 2 card. I'm getting about 0.25 MB/sec!!

    My conclusion is that anyone who buys an Ultra 2 version for their treo is probably wasting money unless they are expecting to do a lot of file transfers to/from their PC directly to the card using a card reader.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by mjw
    I'd like to know this as well. I've looked on the Texas Instruments website under the OMAP310 chipset (I think this is the one used in the Treo) and can't find any info regarding max throughput.

    Based on experimentation though, I'm not able to get anywhere need the 9MB/sec write speed quoted for my Sandisk Ultra 2 card. I'm getting about 0.25 MB/sec!!

    My conclusion is that anyone who buys an Ultra 2 version for their treo is probably wasting money unless they are expecting to do a lot of file transfers to/from their PC directly to the card using a card reader.
    I don't know what the actual numbers are as far as MB/sec goes, but using VFSMark I've been able to see a BIG difference between the SanDisk Ultra II and any cheaper 2MB/sec chips. I can even see the difference between the Panasonics and the SanDisk Ultra II's!

    Panasonic's 10MB/sec chips seem to be a tad slower, but are compatible with a wider range of devices such as digital cameras. (The SanDisk Ultra II will not let me record video to it in my Canon SD-100 camera, but the Panasonic worked fine.)

    Anyway, I guess all I'm saying is that the Treo bus can definitely use the extra speed. As to whether or not it can use the full potential of the chips is beyond me. But you can deffinitely see the difference in transfering large files via Card Export when using your 2MB/sec cards compared to the 10MB/sec cards.

    Maybe we should do a poll on VFSMark ratings for different brand cards or something.

    Anyway, take it for what it's worth.

    --TechDude
  12. #12  
    By the way, I'm not sure what happedned to Panasonic's plans for these chips, but check out this article. 1GB cards with a 20MB/sec transfer speed? Wow!

    http://www.mobilemag.com/content/100/102/C1309/

    --TechDude
  13. #13  
    I have had the Sandisk 512MB Extreme for about 2 weeks and love it. It's nice and fast on the write and reads.
    See this thread (Post 12 and 13) for my benchmark results.
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...hlight=VFSMark
  14. #14  
    extreme cards, are um extreme

Posting Permissions