Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    when are we going to have international SMS.
    i can recieve SMS from overseas but cant reply
    Mine works fine, both send and receive.

Maybe you can clarify exactly where "overseas" is to you....

SMSD
    Quote Originally Posted by wahili
    which carrier do you have?
    i have no problems in sending / receiving SMS from / to internatioanl / oversea countries when I am in US.

i have not tried to send / receive SMS when I travel to oversea with Treo600 yet.
    If you're a Sprint user, you can't send SMS outside of the US. They still haven't gotten true SMS service. Be patient, grasshopper.
    On TMo, I can receive and send international SMS's while in the USA. When I was in France in April, I also was able to send and receive SMS's back to USA.
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    >,<
    Quote Originally Posted by Alli
    If you're a Sprint user, you can't send SMS outside of the US. They still haven't gotten true SMS service. Be patient, grasshopper.
    You can send international sms on the Sprint Treo600 if you know the email gateway of the recipient mobile phone. This way, I've been able to send/receive sms via my friends in UK and India for some time...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    You can send international sms on the Sprint Treo600 if you know the email gateway of the recipient mobile phone. This way, I've been able to send/receive sms via my friends in UK and India for some time...
    But it's not quite the same as just hitting reply when you get a normal sms from someone. I do love my T-Mo service.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alli
    But it's not quite the same as just hitting reply when you get a normal sms from someone. I do love my T-Mo service.

Hmm? I don't know what you mean? When some one sends me an SMS from overseas, I can just hit reply. The sms is automatically routed via the email gateway...

Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    btw, having trouble to send SMS to taiwan last night. none of my SMS got delivered to Taiwan. I wonder what was happening ;(
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    yer not on sprint then.

Curiosity, how did you program the international email gateway for SMS ?
    Having been in various countries (England, France, Sweden, Switzerland, Germany, India, Singapore, Japan, Australia) and sending SMS messages intra-country and back to the US... using both ATT and Cingular I can say it is a "mixed bag". I can say I never count on the SMS message being received. I think in general the world has a long way to go to get more reliability in SMS delivery (regarless of the sevice provider).
    Quote Originally Posted by wahili
    I had the same problem. I was able to receive SMS, but could not send. I had to have international calling enabled on my phone before I could send a SMS from oversees.
    Hmm? I don't know what you mean? When some one sends me an SMS from overseas, I can just hit reply. The sms is automatically routed via the email gateway...
    This is true, but if the overseas number is greater than the standard US 10 digits, the remaining numbers would be cut off. Although the reply function works, it never gives you an error message, and message never gets delivered to the international recipient.
    I found I couldn't get SMSs out of China. I have done it in and out of Europe. I'm on T-Mo.
    Quote Originally Posted by BertEEbklyn
    This is true, but if the overseas number is greater than the standard US 10 digits, the remaining numbers would be cut off. Although the reply function works, it never gives you an error message, and message never gets delivered to the international recipient.
    Not entirely true... I can SMS (and reply to) my cousins in Ireland and England (17 and 16 digits respectively) without any cutting off...
    Quote Originally Posted by BertEEbklyn

Not true in my case. I can regularly reply to numbers in India with greater than 10 digits and the messages are delivered fine. I think the point here is that I am sending the messages to sms email gateways, not standard sms. Thus I don't think a 10 digit limit would apply anyway...

19. viturin
    International SMS depends on each provider and the partner provider and what contracts they have signed, and how they solve the technical issues that might occur... I am in China, can soemtimes receive overseas SMS, sometimes not... I stopped praying to the Buddhas...
    Hi Guy's,

On this matter. We are clearly talking about GSM SMS implementation generally.
    Whilst implementations differ, this is roughly how it works.

Originator ->originating networks SMC->receiving Subscriber. You may be wondering where the receiving networks SMC has gone, literally speaking the receiving networks SMC plays no real role in the delivery. It appears largely transparent to the originating SMC, which will basically set up a signalling* path directly to the recipient handset.

Signalling/IP* communication done purely between machines, often takes wholly differents paths from the speech circuit it can set up.

The issue with replying is that, depending on SMS software in the handset, this will generally try to reply using the original senders SMC. Across most networks this will fail because the majority preclude submission of SMS from another network. The obvious reason for this is that no one would pay for SMS as you would just change your SMC no. to one which could not bill you.

Moreover, some handsets, within message settings have the ability to set "reply via same centre"(doomed to fail X net) and others have the ability when sending to "prevent reply".

Interoperability problems arise, particularly internationally, because GSM is basically a hybrid technology somewhere between IP and circuit switched comms. Different networks are at different levels of development with the European networks particularly driving further into IP technologies in order to support our ever growing desire for more services. There are also compatibility issues between different network element vendors.

As most signalling is done in a varying standard IP or ATM realm(differing, ocassionally proprietary protocols floated on top) and this is the layer most SMS is passed over, there is fairly heavy scope for **** up. This results in Political reason no1 for stating "we support the sending of SMS to this network", when a supported service fails, customers complain. Though in fairness, it is our desire for gadgetry in the developed world which results in many of these issues.

There have also been issues felt when some networks provide GatewaySMC services to some slightly dubious web based sources(spam anyone?). From an Operators point of view it makes complete sense to bar these networks from submitting SMS to you. They have to increase SMC capacity in line with the deluge or the service to paying customers suffers, the customers themselves don't get spammed(or reduces).

When roaming, even if your network has a send/receive agreement with that network, there are a few reasons why you cannot send. When you roam a copy of your Home Location Register details(subscriber database) is exported to the "foreign" network, this is done in the signalling realm obviously(see the pattern ). Occasionally what are known as basic or core services either go missing or the status of them is misconstrued by the recipient network.

On message duplication, the Mobiles relationship with the originating networks SMC is simple. Mobiles states "here have this", SMC signals back "got it". The way this reflects on the mobile is "message sending" and then "message sent", "message sending failed" would be seen when either, the SMS did not make it to the SMC, it was rejected by the SMC or the SMC "got it" message didn't make it to the handset. In this third scenario your SMS is actually sent and received by the SMC, for forwarding to the intended recipient, you believing the message sending failed, re-send, two SMS on the SMC!

On the receiving leg the SMC says "here have this" and the Mobile says "got it". From an SMC perspective it can see "message sending failed" if the SMS fails to make it to the mobile or if the "got it" from the handset doesn't get back to the SMC, the SMC re-sends. In the second scenario, this will result in two SMS on the handset.

Blimey, the ramblings of a drunk man, sorry if I bored ya all, hope it helps someone better understand what goes on behind the scenes
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast