Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    does early may mean halfway through the month or does it mean the day before june? just wondering >.<
    Wondering this as well... patiently waiting for it to appear...

- Mike
    It won't be out until the 40 days are up that was changed from 30 days due to my wife's scathing email to them after they announced 2.0 a couple of days after she bought the current version.

They never had any intention of giving anyone a free upgrade who purchased 30 days or 40 days before the release of 2.0 otherwise why have an April 7 cutoff date which provides a free upgrade to anyone who purchaes SM after that date. The only purpose was to quiet those who purchased near the announcement date in my opinion.

If you have been on the TC board long enough you will have seen other software companies get blasted for their upgrade policies. I am only surprised that there has not been more complaints regarding SM. They need to change their policy.

They have a reasonably good product but it has bugs and other unresolved issues. The cost is high. Their upgrade policy is not in line with most reputable software developers. And their claim that there is no refund is misleading as that is not entirely up to them or the software reseller as there are other factors such as state laws, etc. to consider.

First respose from Snappermail to a polite email from my wife:

Hi ---,

I understand your frustration, but there had to be a cut-off date, and no
    matter what it was, somebody would have purchased just the day before.
    (1) When you purchase 1.9.2, that is exactly what you are purchasing. You
    got a feature-packed product that works out of the box with no promise of
    free upgrades. Our official policy is that all upgrades will not be free
    (http://www.snappermail.com/company/legal.cfm), although, out of our own
    goodwill, we have been shipping free 0.1 updates for quite some time. (2)
    Complying with our upgrade policy, if you purchase within 30 days of a
    release we will ship a free upgrade. This is meant as a goodwill gesture,
    and if Version 2 ships next week, for example, then everyone in the past 23
    days will get a free upgrade regardless of the 7 April cutoff. (3) Just
    because 2.0 is out, you do not have to upgrade. 1.9.2 will continue to do
    exactly what it did when you purchased it. (4) We explicitly state and WARN

everyone that we have a no-refunds policy.---Jennifer ShelamerOnline FAQs:
    http://www.snappermail.com/support

Response by Snappermail to scathing email which started off about not giving a something, something about their no refund policy and reminding them about the delay in getting her the registration code, etc. which was not part of her purchase and resulted in her not being able to use it and the attachment features which she needed during the trip she was taking, and which was the reason she purchased it in the first place:

Hi ---,

I passed your comments to management, and they decided to change the upgrade policy to state that anyone who purchased within 40 days of the release date of the upgrade will get a free upgrade (it was 30 days before).
    ----
    Jennifer Shelamer
    FAQs: http://www.snappermail.com/support

Response to followup email about policy if 2.0 released after 40 days due to reference that it may first be released as beta to the public in their announcement:

NOTHING, and no response to her emails regarding technical questions and questions about add on features such as diddle bug.

Solution - requested refund, fully justified in my opinion, through VISA whch I help her prepare.

I don't have a JD after my name for nothing.
    Any work on the date for the new version?
    Yeah, I had the same issue...I bought a license immediately instead of waiting until my free trial period was up. If I had waited, I would have gotten a free upgrade. Now I get nothing but "corp policy, check the license agreement blather".

And I love how they justify their policy by noting how often they gave free upgrades to all their other customers. "Sorry you are a new customer, we sure treated everyone else real good" is supposed to justify their screw job.

I'm glad to see that Palm has added their POP3 mail client into the firmware; hopefully that kills their market. I'll migrate to that rather than use an unsupported Snapper product which I paid extra for.

It always amazes me how some companies seem to view their customers as dolts...these guys must be run by the pointy-haired manager in Dilbert. "We have to draw a line somewhere" is just what he'd say. "We'll stop supporting the one they just bought, point to the license agreement, and I'm sure they will all just pay us again!"

Well, I hope they don't ever have any other products they hope to sell to their installed base. I know I'll never buy or recommend their products in the future lest I once again end up with an orphan product a month after I license it.

What a bunch of snapholes.
    To bad they don't have more competetion, or their policy would change in a heartbeat !
    I was ready to pay that huge upgrade fee for IMAP but after this wait and the fact that it STILL wont download in the background (or with device off), Im considering alternatives. If only Chatter would progress...
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, 1989
    Here's what I got today:

> Was wondering if Snappermail 2.0 will be out today? Your announcement
    > page says Early May... May will be more than half over in 2 hours for
    > the West coast, so after that it will no longer be 'Early May'.
    >
    > Aren't I a cheaky devil.
    >
    > If you need any beta testers, I'd be happy to oblige and can provide
    > excellent feedback.

Hi Jeremy,

We are not projecting a release date at this time.

---
    Jennifer Shelamer, Snapperfish Limited Corporation
    Please include previous correspondence in any replies.
    Online FAQs: http://www.snappermail.com/support[/INDENT]
    Quote Originally Posted by jfroot

Hi Jeremy,

We are not projecting a release date at this time.

---
    Jennifer Shelamer, Snapperfish Limited Corporation
    Their corporation is going to become more and more limited...I don't envy poor Jennifer, having to deal with this short-sighted policy. I don't imagine she is getting any positive emails.

I think TC should probably remove the "SnapperMail Announcement" from the front page, looks like they aren't going to be releasing their update anytime soon...I work in software development, and "not projecting a release date at this time" after announcing a new version in mid-May, translates into "we found a few showstopper problems in the code and it's back to ground zero to clean this mess up".

And we got all our new customers pissed off in the meantime. What a cluster...
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    well early Early may doesnt mean mid- may even. what is this about it not downloading in the background? how is IMAP worth anything if you have to have snapper mail as the active program for mail sync or download?

huh?
    Don't get me wrong, I would like snappermail to download in the background as well, but I don't see the connection between IMAP being valuless and snapper not having background downloads. Perhaps there is something in this regard that I have missed?

Quote Originally Posted by wahili
    ...how is IMAP worth anything if you have to have snapper mail as the active program for mail sync or download?

huh?
    im betting that this is snappermail's way of sticking it to those who gave them a hard time. case closed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiscer
    I work in software development.... What a cluster...
    Are You sure you work in software. I thought that was a telecom expression.

Just Curious
    Quote Originally Posted by ComicMasta
    Are You sure you work in software. I thought that was a telecom expression.

Just Curious
    I think that one's universal....a good old fashioned CF
    Ive worked in both and have heard/used it in both.
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, 1989
    I am glad they haven't released yet. They said that they would be releaseing something around this time, but even warned that it may even be "beta" depending on quality at the time. If their quality isn't up to the standards that they call "beta", i don't want to be trusting it for my business email.

The Treo has turned out to be unreliable enough to through yet another mess into the mix.

Snappermail Guys: I would love this release out as soon as you possibly can. Work 20 hour days if you need to. But please deliver reliable code.
    Quote Originally Posted by Druce MacFarlane
    Snappermail Guys: I would love this release out as soon as you possibly can. Work 20 hour days if you need to. But please deliver reliable code.
    They can work as hard as they want. They never get another dime from this customer no matter how hard they work with their "buy-it-today, we-release-a-new-version-tomorrow, buy-it-again-the-next-day" upgrade policy.

It's almost unheard of not to give customers a free upgrade to a new release within the first year of their license. They must be confusing themselves with Oracle if they think they can have this kind of policy and sell to the corporate market which seems to be one of their bigger potential markets.
    Snappermail punked us all again. Now the release date is early June. They apologize for giving us the wrong information, and hope that people want IMAP bad enough to buy their "four letter word" product anyway. Their upgrade policy stinks like nothing any human being has ever smelled before, and they can't get a release date right. I can't wait until there is a decent competitor so that Snapper goes out of business for treating their customers like soft terds.
    I bought Snappercrap last summer when I got my I330 and it was pretty cool, I thought. When I got my troe 600 in October, I found chatter and yunno I havent even used Snappercrap since. Their limited IMAP will not get me to pay for an upgrade. Chatter does all I need. If I need to send an attachment, I'll just use the treo mail app. Snapperfish will not last at the rate they are going.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    I feel a bit uncomfortable chiming in here about release dates, but I will say that implementing IMAP isn't a trivial task. Obviously, I don't know what their problem is, but I can imagine a whole slew of them...

Marc
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast