1.    #1  
    I have Kinoma as a video player, but it is pretty bad as a MP3 player. In particular:

1. It mixes video and MP3 files so that when you want to play MP3 in sequence, the next file is liable to be a video. They could solve this by the simple device of providing categories, but they haven't so far.

2. More importantly, you can't switch out of Kinoma and have play continue in the background. I imagine this might be a function of the limitations of the Palm processor--anyone know?--but since I use the Palm for other things when I would want to be listening to music (ebooks, avantgo, games) it becomes pretty much useless as a MP3 player.

SO....is there a program that will allow background play while using the Palm for other things or is this a bridge too far at the moment?

TIA
    Last edited by Mark Squires; 05/10/2004 at 10:24 AM.
    If it doesn't have a slot for SDHC--I don't want it. Period.
  2. ewm
    PocketTunes and RealPlayer can both continue playing if you switch to another program if their preferences are correctly set up.
    I use pockettunes playing in the background, the only problem I have is that I use the volume keys to nav up and down in most programs and they still do their real job with the volume.
    Slartibartfast, there is an option to disable that under Background Prefs.
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, 1989
    First of all why are you using Kinoma as your audio player in the first place? Didn't you install the free cop of Ptunes that you go when you registered? Kinoma is fine for kinoma vids etc, but it can't play in the backround. You need to either get the free Real player or Ptunes...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Thanks Thirdtype, I'd missed that little box.
  7.    #7  
    Well, I thought it would be nice to have ONE app that did everything well, re: Kinoma. I guess: not happening.

I dl'd Real Player, but it's not reading any files already on the card.

I saw that it only supported files in certain directories. So I transferred all the mp3s to root/Audio, one of the supported directories. That didn't work.

Thinking AUDIO might have to be in the /Palm directory, I tried that, too.

Didn't work.

So! how exactly do I get RP to recognize MP3s on a SD card?
    Last edited by Mark Squires; 05/11/2004 at 06:40 AM.
    If you really must have one app to do everything, MMPlayer is it. It will do mp3 in the background but it was very slow and crashed for me. It is AWESOME for movies though. If you want to try it, skip the newest 2.11 beta and use 2.10.

Pocket-Tunes is still the best for music, and free for Treo users.
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, 1989
    I e-mailed Kinoma about this. Their terse response is as follows:

"Thanks for your email. Playing audio when Kinoma Player is not the active application is not supported in the current version. It is Kinoma policy not to comment on future products or features.

Regards,
    Kinoma Support"

Nice, huh. Still, Player 3 EX works nicely as an AAC player, but the inability to play music in the background is a major weakness.
    i can't do anything else (play games and message) while ptunes or busker is playing because my Treo 600 slows down significantly. is this still a problem with the Treo 650?
  11.    #11  
    It's a problem with the pure power the software wants and the limited memory of a PDA. When I use real player on my Treo 600, it slows down some applications (like Backgammon). Others, like ereader, work fine. You might try Real Player---it may be less demanding.