1.    #1  
    All,

I recently sent an e-mail to snappermail support because the auto fetch does not work if the Treo 600 is locked. This to me is a sore point because what is the point of having an e-mail client on your Treo if you cannot do an auto fetch of mail (and get notifed) ? Of course I want to have my Treo locked for security purposes.

I got a reply from Snappermail stating that Snappermail auto fetch will not work when the Treo is locked and that when the Treo is locked it prevents Snappermail from "doing it's thing". They also asked what other applications work when the device is locked.

Apart from the obvious (the phone !) I am not sure since I really don't have that many apps on my Treo 600. I guess you could argue that Lightwav works when locked. What about Chatter ? Haven't had that many people hitting me up recently but I'm sure that works when locked.

Could you guys provide me with some apps that will still work when Treo is locked so I can get back to Snappermail with some Ammo ?

Thanks.
    The Mail program from Palmone (beta) works when the phone is locked. So does TreoButler.
    Also, I believe SnapperMail will work (even if phone is locked) when it is "not" plugged in. (in my belt holster it works properly). However, at night when being powered or during the day when plugged in, it does not work.
  4.    #4  
    Cruising: That's interesting. Is that a definite ? I will set my Snappermail back to auto fetch and leave it unplugged.
  5.    #5  
    Cruising: Sorry mate but Snapper mail still doesn't work, even when Treo is not plugged in. I suspect that this may have something to do with the Treo lock. I have noticed that sometimes it does not lock. Can't pin down why ! So perhaps the times that Snapper mail does work is when the lock doesn't kick in on the Treo.

I used to have this happen to me several times per day !!!! Since I got my new Treo600 I haven't noticed this problem yet.....touch wood.
    Chatter definitely does work when locked. All IM connections are maintained, and more importantly, it will wake you up when there's an incoming message
    If you're concerned about security, download TreoHelper. It has a freature where you can lock you're phone remotely by sending a SMS message to it. You can leave you're phone unlocked so that SM runs in the background. If someone steals your phone lock it remotely. It has the same effect as leaving it locked all the time.
  8.    #8  
    Just got an update from Snapper support and here is what they state:

"I'll forward your messages to the engineers, but I just had this discussion with one of them, and the response was that it would take significant resources to solve. My understanding is that Chatter (and probably TreoButler, though I'm not sure) use a different mechanism for running apps. PalmOne's app works because they have access to information about the system that we don't have. Plus, SnapperMail has to work on every Palm OS Device, and Treo Mail only has to work on the Treo."
    Annoying isnt it? There are other ways to secure your device without having it locked all of the time (now thats annoying to me). As sdouglaslt said, remote locking is great. mSafe (shareware) is another app that can do this, plus lock when wireless mode is turned off (hoping TreoHelper adds that soon).

check out:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...ad.php?t=49227
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, 1989
    Quote Originally Posted by davetati
    Just got an update from Snapper support and here is what they state:

"I'll forward your messages to the engineers, but I just had this discussion with one of them, and the response was that it would take significant resources to solve. My understanding is that Chatter (and probably TreoButler, though I'm not sure) use a different mechanism for running apps. PalmOne's app works because they have access to information about the system that we don't have. Plus, SnapperMail has to work on every Palm OS Device, and Treo Mail only has to work on the Treo."
    Sheesh! Another reason why NOT to buy Snappermail in the future. This inabilty plus the high price further make to not want to upgrade...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  11.    #11  
    gfunkmagic: I hear you. Beginning to question the wisdom of my purchase if it cannot automatically tell me when I have new e-mails waiting.

Maybe it is time to start investsigating what other Treo 600 (specific) e-mail clients are out there and how good they are.