Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I called Palmone to get help for wireless dialup. I was told this was sreipped oit of the Treo 600 and that a third-party app is needed for this.
    Is there such an app? (Not a cellular modem app.
    Thx,
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
    PDANet and Wireless Modem are the only ones I can think of that might fit what you are looking for (not sure what you mean by "not a cellular modem app" though as that seems to contradict what you are trying to accomplish). A quick Google search will identify the websites where you can read more on them.
  3.    #3  
    Marty1781, thanks for responding. As far as I can tell, PDANet only works with a PC. I just want to use my Treo 600 to dialup and connect. I'n not lookiong to turn the Treo into (only) a modem. I need a fallback for the occasions GPRS is out.
    Shneor
    sounds like you want to use a plain old dialup ISP. rather than use t-mobile's GPRS data service.
    I do that with my Visor Neo + Visorphone with T-mobile to access my att worldnet dialup.
    shows up on my bill as a "Data call" and it uses my plans pool of minutes.

I'm not sure how it works on a treo 600, since I don't have one *yet*
    but IF it's still possible, I'm guessing you'd go about it in the same way.

go to prefs. > Network
    if you can try to create a new connection profile by bringing down the menu.
    enter the name of you ISP where/if it says "Service"

user name: your user ID for connecting.
    password: etc..
    connection: ... select standard modem
    phone: the access number you wish to dial

details button...
    connection type: PPP
    idle timeout: whatever you want (1min, 2, 3, never)
    query DNS: 'checked' *(unless you know an ip to enter)*
    IP address: automatic: 'checked' *(unlesss ^^^)*

tap OK.. then tap Connect and cross your fingers

this is of course assuming things are still somewhat the same on the Treo 600
    if it works I suggest you use it sparingly until you can check your bill to see if you still get charged for Data transfer.

if the call shows as a "regular" call, you'll just be using your plans minutes.
    otherwise, you're probably better off getting a data plan.

good luck
  5.    #5  
    I did all that, checked with my ISP to make sure the login script was correct. It did not work. So I called PalmOne, and they told me that the capability to do this had been removed from the firmware in the Treo 600, but that third-party apps might be out there to allow this.
    Thanks.
    Shneor
  6.    #6  
    I have a "wireless dialup" selection, but no connection type. So I can't turn on PPP, AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK.
    Shneor
    Do you mean a dial-up (CSD) type connection?? I know that with Cingular, I use GPRS (they call it Wireless Internet Express) but also have CSD as a backup (Wireless Internet) which uses phone airtime and ties up the voice line. There are settings under Network on my T600 for this.
    So I called PalmOne, and they told me that the capability to do this had been removed from the firmware in the Treo 600
    makes sense that they'd remove the "standard modem" function. to force people to use GPRS data service from their service provider.
    so if that's true, you'll have to find an app that will act like a software modem.
    -
    did you try connecting without using a script?
    cause I never had to mess with that part.
    the one time I did try to make a script the connection didn't work.
    maybe your scripting could be what's messing things up.
    -
    what ISP are you trying to use to connect?
    some/most ISPs only allow one "computer" to connect using the same account information.
    it may help to make sure no other computers are connected.
    -
    in the prefs. app... is there a "Connections" category.
    if so what can you do as far as settings go?
    maybe you need to add a new connection.
    or change the "wireless dialup" profile.

heh maybe if you play with the settings enough, you'll get it to work.
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    Got good and bad news for you shneor, palm is full of BS i am online right now wirelessly through my bellsouth dial up. you get black two way arrows over the signal strength instead of the usual gprs yellow ones. I was very surprised it worked. I used no special script, just my user name, password, and phone number. It's pretty freakin cool! It seems to load pretty fast. I have the gprs unit and t-mobile as a service provider. Just thought you'd like to know. In your face palm!! BTW under the advanced tab, the settings were checked for ip address automatic and query DNS (i guess they were checked by default) So it seems likely that it is your ISP because we both have t-mobile?? I'm glad i read your post, i didn't even know you could do this! Good luck.

drmrw
    Last edited by drmrw; 05/16/2004 at 11:49 PM.
    drmrw on a treo 600 gprs t-mobile

"One out of 3 people has two people standing next to them..."
    I just loaded the Sprint 1.2 update, and still can dial out to my ISP, and to Verizon's EN on the standard modem as well as QNC on the standard modem. Using WModem I can dial out from my FreeBSD system too. So, so much for that "BS" as drmrw says.
    I am running FW 3.04 and have been unable to connect using RoadRunner dialup. I've seen some old posts indicating that you need a special script, but it doesn't seem to work. RR customer service was no help - "You can dial in from non-PC devices, but we don't provide any support for that."

Has anyone successfully connected to RoadRunner dialup using the T600? If so, how?
    I'm a UK user on Orange...I have a dialup data account running and usable (Freeserve) just in case the GPRS is working....Set it up in "Prefs" and "Networking".....r u the capability is removed?
    Quote Originally Posted by shneor
    I called Palmone to get help for wireless dialup. I was told this was sreipped oit of the Treo 600 and that a third-party app is needed for this.
    Is there such an app? (Not a cellular modem app.
    Thx,
    The info from Pa1mOne is not correct.

The ability to configure a dialup network setting is there (and always has been).

Some branded phones (Orange) come pre-configured with a GPRS account and in case GPRS is not available, a dialup (CSD) account.

Even on a branded Treo, you are not limited and can set up additional accounts with the service provider of your choice (I have two GPRS accounts and three dailup accounts).
    www.gsmworld.com
    i cant get this to work either.

for those of you who it work for, give us some info on how you set it up?

specifically what is your "connection" in network and how is this connection setup?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    My connection says "wireless dialup" and I am using my bellsouth isp account. Other than the username and password i put in no special script and no special settings. Under "details" it says Fallback (none), and Idle timeout 1 min. Under advanced it says IP Address and "automatic" was checked by default. under that it says Query DNS and this box was also checked by default. There is no script. I am using a standard dial up phone number, the same one i use with my notebook. I noticed no problems with the exception that after my mail is checked it logs me off from the ISP. Web browsing and other internet functions work perfectly.
    drmrw on a treo 600 gprs t-mobile

"One out of 3 people has two people standing next to them..."
  16.    #16  
    I can't seem to get rid of the login script entirely.
    Still does not work. For those of you who have it working, does your ISP use PPP?
    Thx.
    Shneor
    ...I'm the same as drmrw. I have no problems at all...

Goto "Network"
    Goto "Menu"
    Select "New"

Put in your dial-up details (I nicked them straight off my PC) and your ready to rock!
  18.    #18  
    Still does not work for me. Could be my ISP.
    Shneor
    Bummer...have to buy some stamps/evelopes/paper and an IR printer...

Sorry dude

DT
    Does anyone have this working with AT&T as your service provider? I can't get a connection to my Earthlink account. And I have tried a friends Different ISP dialup as well.

Thanks.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast