Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    My treo has small white debris underneath its screen ..

Initially I thought it was on the screen but then realized it was underneath .. even changed the screen protector as I thought it was between screen protector and the screen .. but not the case.

Anyone face the same problem? How to clean them?
    how on earth did you notice a speck of dust? i am not sure if the treo 600 is meant to be air tight and i seriously doubt it is. any electronic device that is not air tight will have dust creep in. example of air tight electronic device is a hard disk.
    I've noticed the same thing also, after having used my phone since january. The dust seems to be forming a "T" pattern about 1/3 of the way down from the top of the screen. I wonder if my ear could be generating a static charge on the screen that is attracting the dust particles? I've tried blowing compressed air in throught the SD card slot to no avail.
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    Anyone who owned an HP Jornada 568 knows what this problem is. It's a manufacturing defect. The screen is airtight to prevent just this from happening. Usually, the dust enters during the manufacturing process. I had two Jornada's replaced under warranty before I got one that was dust free. It does not affect performance but is damn annoying and I would say unacceptable for a $600 price tag. I'd call CS and have it replaced. Hopefully these are very isolated cases and not widespread as the HP problem was. Good luck. Let us know what happens.
    Global Posts
    384 Global Posts
    I have the same problem, too. At first, it was only a few specs, but it's been getting worse over time. I imagine it's coming from lint inside my pockets.

If it's only happening to a few of us, perhaps it is a defect. But I don't know if I want to replace an otherwise perfectly functioning original Treo over something that is mainly cosmetic. With some of the horror stories I've read here, I'd be afraid to get another unit that had far more problems.
    mrjoec
    www.joecieplinski.com
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    Looked over Pocket PC Thoughts and found this post. Thought you might want to read about it.

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/foru...highlight=dust
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $this$ $problem$ $is$ $quite$ $common$ $for$ $Treos$. $But$ $I$ $don$'$t$ $think$ $the$ $dust$ $gets$ $into$ $the$ $device$ $during$ $production$. $Looks$ $much$ $more$ $like$ $the$ $device$ $is$ $not$ $completely$ $sealed$ $so$ $dust$ $gets$ $into$ $it$ $during$ $usage$, $because$ $the$ $problem$ $gets$ $worse$ $over$ $the$ $months$.

A temporary solution would probably be to open the device and remove the dust (but it would return after some time). Furthermore your warranty would be gone then, which is probably not worth it, as the dust is almost invisible if the screen is on.

Regards

R.
    RolloM,

You may be correct? Your comment however begets the key question: "if the particles CAN get under the screen face over time wouldn't this indicate a engineering/design DEFECT (no?) with the burden of these engineering consquences passed on to the consumer down the line., i.e., your out a perfectly, original cell phone...and you'll subsequentially get a refurb from PalmOne. My cell went bad on day 15. Return policy for a brand new phone is 14 days. Trust me, you don't want to have to deal with customer support in India, or, Customer Care. I know! I had two cell phones (Treo 600) and both had these aforementioned defects noted in this thread. Waiting for my third now. You know, there will be opinions both for the device and against it, however, I brought my cell phone to a friend at a local University in the computer engineering department and he agreed with my findings: "it is a defect ".
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tcc3573
    RolloM,

You may be correct? Your comment however begets the key question: "if the particles CAN get under the screen face over time wouldn't this indicate a engineering/design DEFECT (no?)
    IMHO this clearly is an engineering defect. The question is only whether it is - from a legal point of view - severe enough to give you the right to get a replacement phone. I can live with the problem, even if it is annoying. Other phones I possessed had much more severe problems (for instance my last phone from Siemens on which the keys didn't work well enough to write SMS, which was a flaw by design)

If they give you a new phone under these circumstances, I'd say you have to live with a refurbished one.

Regards

R.
    Is there any way to take a pic to show us what to look for? I've never had a dust problem in any LCD so I'm curious as to what it looks like. Can we have a look?
    Palm III - Kyo 6035 -Treo 600
    I've actually had a piece of dust come and go. It seems to be back at the moment and while it is annoying (or at least irksome), I pretty much regard it as being the same as scratches on the case. Sure, the Treo 600 could have been made to better resist scratches and dust and so on, but ...well, it wasn't. Sad but true.

Quote Originally Posted by Spillsbeer
    Is there any way to take a pic to show us what to look for?
    Taking a picture of the dust might be kind of difficult. The dust I get is only visible when the screen is on (it kind of looks like a half-dead pixel) and pointing a camera at the lit up screen might not work out so well.

Quote Originally Posted by tcc3573
    I brought my cell phone to a friend at a local University in the computer engineering department
    At a local University? In the computer engineering department?! Oh my god!! That's really serious!!!
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    How do you carry your Treo? I have mine in the trouser pocket without protection - so the dust seems to come from there... I'll see what I can do for the picture.

Regards

R.
  13.    #13  
    yeah me too .. i carry treo in my trouser without full case .. i use converted but i cut plastic on the screen area cos it was difficult to write with the plastic covering the screen ..
    I get the problem myself, but can live with it - at the moment, I count approximately 10 bits of dust under the screen. For the purposes of photography, it is true that when viewed from the front, the dust is almost invisible, however if you look at such an angle that you can't actually see anything on the screen, the dust becomes more obvious, and may be photographable - I may try tonight.

I do find that tapping the unit against my hand can shift some of them, the harder you tap the more they move, but the 10 bits at the moment are pretty stubborn, and nothing short of a small, tactical nuclear weapon will shift them.

In hindsight, I used to use the corner of a business card to fish dust out from the edge of the screen, and may have pushed dust far enough in to get behind the screen. I have noticed that since I started blowing dust out, there has been a drop in the number of new bits of dust.
    Global Posts
    384 Global Posts
    I have a lot more than ten specs, though that has developed over several months. It started as just a few.

My biggest problem is that all of the dust seems to have grouped itself right to the top-center portion of the screen. It's very noticable, both when off or on.

I also carry it in my pants pocket, which, I'm positive, is the source of the dust.

I imagine eventually I'll break down, get myself a t6 screwdriver, and clean it off from the inside. I know that voids my warranty, technically, but I've taken a lot of devices apart before, so I'm fairly certain I can be careful enough not to damage anything.
    mrjoec
    www.joecieplinski.com
    Has anyone with this problem actually managed to solve it? Taken the treo apart? Cleaned the inside of the screen?

My screen has several pieces of dust beneath it. But one piece, just one, gives the appearance of a dead pixel. While a casual and rational user of my phone wouldn't notice it in the slightest, to me it looks like King Kong hanging there. I can't ignore it. I'm neurotic about it. If I don't eventualy get over it, like I did with my Treo's missing rubber plug (which to me resembled nothing less than a crater for quite some time - I'd gasp each time I turned the Treo over) it might well send me completely insane. Or am I already insane? IT'S JUST A SPEC OF DUST...
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slem
    Has anyone with this problem actually managed to solve it? Taken the treo apart? Cleaned the inside of the screen?
    I took my treo apart to try the fix for the buzz problem (which, btw, indeed seems to work, see here http://mytreo.net/forum/YaBB.cgi?boa...num=1085545374).

By that opportunity I tried to remove the dust as well. Bad news: It does not work. The glass plate the dust is beneath cannot be removed from the display even if the treo cover is removed. Or did anyone successfully do this?

Regards

R.
    Global Posts
    384 Global Posts
    I tried it, too, just before returning my Treo because it was "buzzing." While I was able to clean out a TON of dust bunnies in the phone itself (you wouldn't believe how much dust had gotten in there) there was no way to get the dust in my screen out.

I have a new Treo now, so I'm dust-free at the moment. But I am afraid that this will happen again, eventually. Unless my new Treo is sealed better than the old one was.
    mrjoec
    www.joecieplinski.com
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    Just had this problem begin to develop, very annoying, and considering the price of the unit, rather unacceptable!
    I have a similar story - had T600 since November 2003; dust slowly started building up a couple months later; now there's quite a bit in the "T" pattern toward the top middle of the screen that several other posters have noted. Can't be coincidence!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast