1.    #1  
    Hello everybody,

No flames please.

I thought id throw out there a suspiscion that has been growing in my mind ever since I installed VeriChat. Its always on presence had me wondering. How much does the radio get used? Can somebody have too much of a good thing? How much stress can the radio handle?? My first treo, a Handspring model, was replaced for the network search issue.

I would be glad to hear somebody disprove my theory by telling me they have had this program installed onto a PALMONE BRANDED Treo 600 for a few months without any NETWORK SEARCH problems.

I liked the program btw.. except for one flaw. I liked the interface and text input was smooth. Is there anyway to sign out? Maybe I dont wanna have an always on presence.

Chatter is NOT what I am looking for

Thanks everybody!
    Handspring branded Treo, running Verichat quite a bit since last November, no issues. If you want to log out from an IM from Verichat you can use "Menu, Signoff" (I think that's what it is) and then choose the service you want to log off from.
    I have trouble if I switch from email to Verichat or browser too fast. The PalmOS IP stack is not very robust. I depend on Verichat every day. It is quite stable.

Derek
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by ericdfairchild
    Handspring branded Treo, running Verichat quite a bit since last November, no issues. If you want to log out from an IM from Verichat you can use "Menu, Signoff" (I think that's what it is) and then choose the service you want to log off from.

When you logout does it automatically forward to SMS? This i dont want.. i like my freedom.

Also, do both of you guys have the Handspring treo? How long have you been using Verichat??
    I think the network search issue is really more related to battery and power impedance, rather than a specific app like Verichat. I know for a fact in my case, the problem was power-related and here's how I know:
    Once I started seeing the network search/Vision connecting and canceling thing happening, I started paying attention to when that was occurring. It would only happen when the 600 was not receiving A/C charge. If my 600 was in its cradle or wall charger, no issue at all. Once I took it off, I'd see the problems start to creep in, in like 2 minutes.
    So - my presumption was that the battery had deteriorated to the point where it could not maintain sufficient power to maintain a strong network connection on its own. It had to have A/C to do that.
    I think we should look for people who've had this problem who also use maybe the lighter adapter a lot, or some other power source. I remember that the 300 had its car charger recalled - maybe some of those are out there (am I using that one? I can't remember - I've had a few of them) and those are frying the battery just enough to make the 600 not keep its connection solidly to the network.
    Who knows, really?
    I have been using verichat since it was released. I particularly like the SMS integegration on the GSM version. Inbound messages are via SMS. That way if I am on the phone I get a message. I wish they would use SMS for outbound too. That would allow me to respond while I am on the phone also.

Great product. I cannot say enough on how useful it is.

Derek
    Quote Originally Posted by broberob
    Hello everybody,

No flames please.

I thought id throw out there a suspiscion that has been growing in my mind ever since I installed VeriChat. Its always on presence had me wondering. How much does the radio get used? Can somebody have too much of a good thing? How much stress can the radio handle?? My first treo, a Handspring model, was replaced for the network search issue.

I would be glad to hear somebody disprove my theory by telling me they have had this program installed onto a PALMONE BRANDED Treo 600 for a few months without any NETWORK SEARCH problems.

I liked the program btw.. except for one flaw. I liked the interface and text input was smooth. Is there anyway to sign out? Maybe I dont wanna have an always on presence.

Chatter is NOT what I am looking for

Thanks everybody!

The "Network Search" is your provider, not the software.

Verichat is trying to do what you want, but your phone is losing data signal.
    Easy to logout ..
    just choose Signoff Msn ..
    and verichat proxy will disconects u and u will recieve no sms. ..

verchat works fine
    except soemtimes the screen went beserk and hangs .. while chatting ...
    dunno what problem is this related too
  9.    #9  
    thanks, exactly what I needed to hear... ill be installing tomorrow
  10.    #10  
    OK I installed VeriChat today and it's forwarding my chat messages to SMS even though I am signed out. How do I get it to stop????
    You need to have a good Vision connection to sign off - sometimes if you request a signoff with a weak Vision signal, it doesn't make its way back to the server to really sign you off. When I've done the signoff and seen it acknowledge that I'm signed off (i'm primarily an AOL IM user) i've never had the problem you describe.
    Couple things in regards to Verichat

When you "sign on" it will activate your GPRS radio if it's not already on.
    Then you get signed onto the Proxy server.

As long as you stay in the Verichat interface, everything works via the GPRS and is great.

If you simply navigate away from Verichat (hit the Phone button, Home, Cal, etc) then you are still signed into the proxy server and will get your messages via SMS.

If you go to Apps, then Preferences, then Disconnect from the network, or if you use something like snappermail and have it set to "Disconnect from Network" after checking your email, then you are still logged onto the proxy and will get messages via SMS.

if you are in Verichat and hit the Menu button and select "Sign Off" THEN and only THEN do you get logged off the proxy server. At that time you will appear Offline to everyone else. At all other times, even with the GPRS radio disconnected from the network, you will appear online.

I love this program... I can leave the house, log into Verichat, then disconnect from the network (saving battery life and data rates) and still get my messages. Can't live without it!
    If you have the im forwarding then aim whenever you are not truely on will sms the messages, the way i configured my verichat is if i didnt log off it forwards them to my email, really bad when forget to log off and then go chat online and hundred or so messages of a convo you already had appear, took a little while to figure it out as they would go to snappermail in sets of 20, lol