Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
    besides a better way to translate the movies to my desktop pc I have another request:
    I'd like to have the zoom function in your application. When recording a scene sometimes can be usefull to have a better definition. Due to the small resolution of your movie it should not be affected by the zoom function. It should be easy as Cameratest and Pickem shows.
    thank you and compliments for your program.
    Hi,
    can someone tell me if the latest MovieRec would work on my phone?
    I have MovieRec 1.051 and want to upgrade to 1.13 but it says that it needs the lastest PalmOne upgrade. When i went to do the upgrade for 'other carriers' it says:

4. In the Phone Info screen read the numbers after "Software." Look at the number after the "Treo 600-."

5. If your software version number is lower than 1.12, this software update is for you.

I have firmware 2.12 and software Treo600-1.12/1030/02
    Hardware B

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanRife
    I don't own an Ultra 2 card yet but I'm considering making a feature that would permit saving directly to the card at lower quality settings and letting the users with high speed cards experiment with what works. Later.
    Ryan,

This seems to be the killer feature that everyone is asking for - ability to save directly to SD Card. And of course, it's probably the most difficult feature to implement given the resource contraints of the Treo 600.

I own an Ultra 2 card, so I thought I'd do some tests to give you some info on the target compression you'd need to achieve.

I only have 6MB of internal memory free on my card. I'm estimating that with 20fps, 16 bit colour and 160x160 pixels, 1 second of recording consumes 20x16x160x160 = 8,192,000 bits = 1MB/sec.

This means that with the current version I can only record 6 secs of video. Clearly this is very limiting.
    With my 512MB Sandisk Ultra 2 card however I could store 512 secs of video, about 8.5 minutes. With compression I could store even more.

I just did a primitive test using CardBackup to see what data rate I could achieve writing to a Ultra 2 Card. I was able to save 18MB in 80 secs or about 0.225 MB per sec, which is too low to support the 1MB/sec rate required to record at 20fps and 16 bit colour.

However, if you either achieve:
    a) A factor of 5 times compression
    b) Improve on the rate that data get written to the card (e.g. by writing data in larger block sizes that suite the size of chunks that get passed to the card)
    c) Find some faster, lower level API for writing to the card (if it exists)

then perhaps recording directly to the card would be possible.

According to the sandisk website:
    "The new SanDisk Ultra II CompactFlash memory card has a minimum sustained write speed of 9 megabytes (MB) per second and a read speed of 10MB per second."

So I guess the bottleneck is not the card itself. It might be the Treo hardware, or the driver software. Does anyone have any influence with developers at PalmOne? Perhaps we need another firmware upgrade that allows the Treo to take full advantage of these faster SD Cards. If we could get 9MB/sec it would be more than adequate.

If you'd like me to test anything further out on my card, let me know.

Regards and thanks for all your effort,

Mark
    Last edited by mjw; 06/05/2004 at 12:58 PM.
    Ryan, here is a quick follow-up to what mjw has presented to you in the previous post. Your application is a most intriguing and appreciated one. But here's what's puzzling. The demand for being able to record directly to the SD card is clearly enormous. You keep insisting that the huge degree of compression that would be involved makes it almost impossible. Yet Live!'s video recording app has had absolutely no trouble doing this for quite a while now! How are both of these things possible??? C'mon Ry, you can do it! At this point, this is head-and-shoulders the single most important missing facet of your invention.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    will I still be able to play my "old videos" w/o sound?
    What?
    Just did software upgrade. loaded SoundRec and worked well. Loaded MovieRec 1.13, and my treo 600 resets when I try to stop recording. Quick fix?
    Bob
    Quick question, anyone having problems with MovieRec in terms of playing movies and then your Treo 600 freezing or crashing on trying to exit the application?
    "This space intentionally left blank."
    Mine still resetting 600 when I hit "stop." I have removed the program, re-loaded, and done a hard reset with no fix. Have a thread @ infinityball with same issue - but no solution there either.
    Bob
    "Quick question, anyone having problems with MovieRec in terms of playing movies and then your Treo 600 freezing or crashing on trying to exit the application?"

"Mine still resetting 600 when I hit "stop." I have removed the program, re-loaded, and done a hard reset with no fix. Have a thread @ infinityball with same issue - but no solution there either."

Ryan, any thoughts!
    Bob
    I assume it is a conflict with another program I have installed (not AOL).
    I do have:
    Autobase
    BackupMan
    Butler
    CardKeeper
    clockPop5
    FileZ
    Handyshopper
    keepoff
    keycaps
    movieRec
    PowerRun
    SolFree
    Sound Rec
    Treo Allegro
    TreoTools
    Wallet
    WebViewer
    Any Known conflicts???
    Bob
  12.    #132  
    I'm looking to rebuild MovieRec from the ground in native ARM code w/o all of the old code from the first prototype I built floating around in the app. So if you have any ideas for the application (features and/or look and feel), please let me know. Later.
  13.    #133  
    Quote Originally Posted by rcowperthwaite
    I assume it is a conflict with another program I have installed (not AOL).
    I do have:
    Autobase
    BackupMan
    Butler
    CardKeeper
    clockPop5
    FileZ
    Handyshopper
    keepoff
    keycaps
    movieRec
    PowerRun
    SolFree
    Sound Rec
    Treo Allegro
    TreoTools
    Wallet
    WebViewer
    Any Known conflicts???
    Hmm, I'm wonder if Treo Allegro may be causing problems since they both listen for the incoming call event. I'll test the apps you have installed on my device and let you know if there is anything weird. Later.
  14.    #134  
    Quote Originally Posted by mjw
    Ryan,

This seems to be the killer feature that everyone is asking for - ability to save directly to SD Card. And of course, it's probably the most difficult feature to implement given the resource contraints of the Treo 600.

I own an Ultra 2 card, so I thought I'd do some tests to give you some info on the target compression you'd need to achieve.

I only have 6MB of internal memory free on my card. I'm estimating that with 20fps, 16 bit colour and 160x160 pixels, 1 second of recording consumes 20x16x160x160 = 8,192,000 bits = 1MB/sec.

This means that with the current version I can only record 6 secs of video. Clearly this is very limiting.
    With my 512MB Sandisk Ultra 2 card however I could store 512 secs of video, about 8.5 minutes. With compression I could store even more.

I just did a primitive test using CardBackup to see what data rate I could achieve writing to a Ultra 2 Card. I was able to save 18MB in 80 secs or about 0.225 MB per sec, which is too low to support the 1MB/sec rate required to record at 20fps and 16 bit colour.

However, if you either achieve:
    a) A factor of 5 times compression
    b) Improve on the rate that data get written to the card (e.g. by writing data in larger block sizes that suite the size of chunks that get passed to the card)
    c) Find some faster, lower level API for writing to the card (if it exists)

then perhaps recording directly to the card would be possible.

According to the sandisk website:
    "The new SanDisk Ultra II CompactFlash memory card has a minimum sustained write speed of 9 megabytes (MB) per second and a read speed of 10MB per second."

So I guess the bottleneck is not the card itself. It might be the Treo hardware, or the driver software. Does anyone have any influence with developers at PalmOne? Perhaps we need another firmware upgrade that allows the Treo to take full advantage of these faster SD Cards. If we could get 9MB/sec it would be more than adequate.

If you'd like me to test anything further out on my card, let me know.

Regards and thanks for all your effort,

Mark
    The problem is is that the operating system is single threaded so it's hard to capture, compress and store the video in 1/20 of a second....the developer of MovieMaker has given me some simple compression code that offers about about a 3:2 compression with little imact on the system. If you (or anybody) know of any way to compress the video (and audio) in a fast and efficient way, please let me know. Later.
    I'm looking to rebuild MovieRec from the ground in native ARM code w/o all of the old code from the first prototype I built floating around in the app. So if you have any ideas for the application (features and/or look and feel), please let me know. Later.
    Ryan, sounds great, truly. However, does this mean that the problems above, e.g, crashes and freezes, will not longer occur with MovieRec?
    Hmm, I'm wonder if Treo Allegro may be causing problems since they both listen for the incoming call event. I'll test the apps you have installed on my device and let you know if there is anything weird. Later.
    I deleted Treo Allegro, reset, and tried movierec. still reset immediately when I hit stop.
    Bob
  17.    #137  
    Quote Originally Posted by write1here
    Ryan, sounds great, truly. However, does this mean that the problems above, e.g, crashes and freezes, will not longer occur with MovieRec?

Not sure. I cannot get the application to crash or freeze on my devices so I don't know what is causing the problem. Later.
  18.    #138  
    Quote Originally Posted by rcowperthwaite
    I deleted Treo Allegro, reset, and tried movierec. still reset immediately when I hit stop.
    If you want to email me and I'll send you a test version(s) until I'm able to find the problem. Later.
    Has anyone tried using the "ScreenShot" software ( http://mytreo.net/mytreo/modules.php...ot5_v2.1&cid=2 ) to capture a screen during the replay of a MovieRec recording?
    Last edited by ericdfairchild; 06/22/2004 at 03:34 PM. Reason: fix typo
    If you want to email me and I'll send you a test version(s) until I'm able to find the problem. Later.
    I have TreoAllegro installed, but MovieRec works just fine anyway.
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast