1.    #1  
    I finally gave up on the ety.com headset, which I really, really wanted because their headphones are amazing. They are still working on the problem but in the meantime I bought a sure QuietSpot which has worked very well with the Treo.

Does anyone else use the QuietSpot?
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    I use it and love it. Lightweight, great isolation of sound into the ear as well as filtering background sounds at the mic.
    vregan - I admire your skill and experience with the QuietSpot. I know it's true.

wallywld - I guess the best result of this post would be if ety.com and Shure would listen to exactly what many members of this forum have said.

OK so we are using 3 Treos all the time. (If anyone is glad that Handspring used an unconventional connector, I have yet to hear their joy) I also wanted to get onboard with ety.com. After studying the connector pin-outs I don't know why they haven't resolved their problem.

We have 2 Shure QuietSpot Headsets. The person using it is always thrilled with the sound. It's hard to get a really objective opinion from many people. Since I have to talk to Treo users who use the QuietSpot, here's the story. (Frequently stated by others on TreoCentral)

The QuietSpot's Boom is too short. Even for a small person. Also, it isn't very stable, in terms of position. As the mic moves farther away from the mouth, the speech gets quieter, but also it clips the frequency range. If the user talks louder things get very uncomfortable for the other person. The sound gets increasingly electromechanical and uncomfortable.

In my experience, even when this is explained to the user, they have no idea how bad it can get. So this is what we had to do.

Everyone made msg recordings on the others phone, pressed #2 to listen to their msg, with the QuietSpot in different positions and speaking at varied volume levels. When they listened to their recorded msgs, they finally understood. Do yourself a favor (assuming you haven't done this yet), try the same test. It gets your attention real fast. Let me know your thoughts.

Only if the user is diligent about mic position and talks "low and slow" will their voice sound natural, full and clear. So it all depends on the user. If the QuietSpot Boom was longer, it would be much easier for the user to be aware of its position, in relation to your mouth. Yes, it is that position sensitive.

One of the 2 who have the Shure won't use it - prefers a Panasonic Headset, from their cordless 4 line phone. The 2.5mm Panasonic connector works (just) but must be fully inserted or it cuts out. (fully inserted is code for much more effort and thought than should be required)

The other side of the coin, I didn't want to pay the bucks for theBoom. However, I do a lot of "office business" while driving a diesel truck. I am really amazed, my voice is clear and no one hears the truck. When I leave a msg on anyone's system, if it will allow me to listen to my msg before sending, I always do, otherwise, on occasion, people will "pretend" they understood your msg.

OK - That's your answer. Now "the rest of the story".

I work long hours, frequently taking the headset off then rushing to put it on, theBoom has a "constant-on" ear wrap w/magnetic link. (it's great)

I mount a short 1/4" dia. steel stud (or 400 series Stainless) where it will be convenient. (Especially true in the truck) theBoom's magnet will hold tight, and magnetize the short stud over time. (It becomes a flux keeper) While driving or working, it just sticks like a piece of gum to the well placed stud.

When I need it (frequently) I pop it off the stud and onto the ear wrap. Yes, I love theBoom (in addition to Teflon) and wear the ear wrap all the time, put the cord and the boom portion in my sport jacket pocket, while out and about.

One last thing, if I was dealing with a typical commute, this post would have been short or absent. But my typical business trip will be from NY to Camp Lejeune, or NY to DC and Back. (A major reason why I love the Treo)

OK Guys - Hit me with your best shot.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ArcBody; 05/24/2004 at 08:01 PM.
    I just wish the Boom would go on-sale again
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArcBody
    The QuietSpot's Boom is too short.
    I disagree. While the boom length isn't going to land the mic in front of you mouth, the length is perfect and allows it to be easily carried in a pocket and does not negatively impact sound quality.

Quote Originally Posted by ArcBody
    Everyone made msg recordings on the others phone, pressed #2 to listen to their msg, with the QuietSpot in different positions and speaking at varied volume levels. When they listened to their recorded msgs, they finally understood.
    My guess is most everyone with a headset does test out how they sound on them. I know I did so with the QuietSpot and the sound quality is great. I've also plugged it in while on the run in the middle of calls and the caller doesn't even notice the switch from handheld mic to headset mic--it's that seamless.
    "vregan - I admire your skill and experience with the QuietSpot. I know it's true."

"Only if the user is diligent about mic position and talks "low and slow" will their voice sound natural, full and clear. So it all depends on the user. If the QuietSpot Boom was longer, it would be much easier for the user to be aware of its position, in relation to your mouth. Yes, it is that position sensitive."

Glad you like it ~ Carl "ArcBody"