1.    #1  
    I finally got the courage to try out the Dual Sim card holder where you put two sim cards (in reduced size) into one sim card holder.

And it works great!!! Now I can switch between AT&T (for voice) and T-mobile (for data) just by resetting the wireless mode.

I know someone out there was looking to do the same... so, it works. Try it...
    oh, uh...

...am i the only one who never heard about it ?

you mean you can put 2 sim cards inside the treo sim card slot and rotate them when you need it ?

would be just great !!!
    do you have a link for the one you successfully tested ?

THX
    Quote Originally Posted by epoints
    I finally got the courage to try out the Dual Sim card holder where you put two sim cards (in reduced size) into one sim card holder.

And it works great!!! Now I can switch between AT&T (for voice) and T-mobile (for data) just by resetting the wireless mode.

I know someone out there was looking to do the same... so, it works. Try it...

So how did you shave the size? Can you post some pics?

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Here's a Dual SIM Holder on ebay.

Is this similar to the one you're using? And like gfunkmagic, I'm curious as well how you ripped the chips out of the original SIM cards.
    Would be nice to have the possibility of connecting to GPRS when CDMA is not available. I really have not thought this through but might be nice...
    Math 6:33 But seek first His righteousness,and all these things will be given to you as well.
    this sounds really good i would like to do somethink the same but i d like to see some pics first to see if it hangs out at all
    Nokia 3210 > Nokia 3310 >Palm Vx > Palm M105 >Treo 180g and Nokia 8850 > Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Sony TH55 > Tapwave Zodiac 2 > Treo 650 GSM > Imate KJam > Treo 750v

Formerly Known As PRANKSTAR
    Quote Originally Posted by kpilgreen
    Would be nice to have the possibility of connecting to GPRS when CDMA is not available. I really have not thought this through but might be nice...
    That would require a dual band Transciever, that has nothing to do with the chips.
    Palm III > Palm IIIC > Handera 330 > Kyocera 6035 & Sony NR70V > Treo 600 > Treo650 & Palm LifeDrive > Modded LifeDrive w/16gig CF > Palm Pre
  8.    #8  
    sorry,,, i was really busy at work today...

gfunkmagic, I will try to post pictures tonight.

Mol, it's same as you find on ebay, but my friend got it from hong kong. Just make sure they include the sticker to overlay the sim card.

this is how the sim card cutting process goes:

there are stickers that you overlay the sim card, and you cut along the dotted line. I have two sim cards - t-mobile & at&t (both cards look different). I cutted the t-mobile one, and the dotted line actually overlay the gold chip. I was worry, but what the heck. I cutted through exactly followed the dotted line. Make sure you use a scissor. I don't think knife is a good tool to use.

I put the cutted sim (t-mobile) into the holder (metal). It's a tight fit. I put the holder card into the treo card holder and inserted (with force) in the sim slot.

I power on the wireless mode and receive t-mobile signal. now at least it works with one.... I am more confident now and did the samething with at&t card. at&t card was a bit easy because the card (gold piece) is smaller, but i still have to cut the gold piece.

I put in both smaller sim pieces into the holder and CAREFULLY insert into the treo sim card holder then into the treo.

when i power on, it goes to the top card (at&t) and when I repower on, then it comes up with t-mobile

Man, what a sweet arrangement. Now i don't have to fumble with sim cards and risk of dropping them into gutter.

sorry for the long description and bad grammar...best I can do when eating, typing and answering phone calls...

I will try to post picture... let me know if i can answer more

Henry
    Thanks for the excellent update. One more thing before I go order one myself:

Does it simply alternate between the two cards, so it switches to the other card each time to power off/on? Or can you somehow choose which card to use at power up?
    WOW..., this looks WAY scary...

how comes you can cut THROUGH the gold chip ? ...aren't these supposed to be printed as microcircuits to work as a whole ???

obviously i believe you did it and everything is fine; CONGRATS, i would never had done it without reassurance from others before me...

...all feedback on this thread will be greatly appreciated; i still cannot believe you do not destroy your SIM card following the procedure...

...well, maybe i'll be the first one to post my failure and go see my cell provider for replacement; you think i can tell them i was just playing with my scissors and the SIM card fell through ?

BTW - on the ebay auction text, they present a code for switching from one SIM card to the other on "some NOKIA phones"; have figured out a similar trick on our beloved TREO600 ?
  11.    #11  
    Mol,

I think when you insert the card (with 2 small sim) into the treo, the top one is the first to come up.

After that it will just alternate as you power on and off. So, it really does not matter which one you put on the top. it just keep alternating.

Koros,

Ya! I was scared too..but hearing what Mol and others do for the board with firmware updates... I feel I have to contribute.

I thought when I cut through the gold piece that I will damage the circuitry inside...but it works...I have no idea... maybe someone else knows how sim card works?

Besides, I figure if this does not work, I would have to cancel my t-mobile (for data only) because I am tire of switching sim card. In fact, I got an extra treo sim card holder just for this.. I guess I don't need it now...

I don't know if there is a code to key in to change the sim card, but I doubt it because you would have to enable the network re-init and search...

I know I promised pictures but my wife is going to kill me for staying up this late... yes...I listened to my wife, but she let me buy a Porsche... So,,pictures this weekend...

Okay, guys...
  12.    #12  
    Oh, guys..

before you order, make sure there are stickers inside for you to trace..

I will post pictures of package and instruction this weekend - for sure..
    BTW - on the ebay auction text, they present a code for switching from one SIM card to the other on "some NOKIA phones"; have figured out a similar trick on our beloved TREO600 ?

Do you mean you have figured out a code, or are you asking if anyone has done this? I ask because I would like to toggle between cards rather than power off and on. Got my dual card last week, and although it is working fine, I would prefer a hack/code to toggle. Great little modification for an amazing gadget.
    Jim
    no,no, i was just asking for the magic switching code; got no info about it, sorry...
    The ad on ebay is saying "press #3370# to interchange SIM card for some Nokia series". If you have a dual sim holder it wouldn't hurt trying what it does on the Treo.

I'd be interested in understanding how the dual sim holder remembers which SIM card has to be made available to the phone. Any ideas?
    Ok, I need to ask....why would you do this?

If I have T-Mobile and I loose T-Mobile's signal, it will roam onto Cingular/AT&T's network for voice and data is lost during this time period with no roaming charges. By using this design, I have to pay for two cell phone services. Where's the benefit here?

I could understand if it was able to use a GPRS SIM and a CDMA SIM but that's virtually impossible.
    Please tell me how this works. I have T-Mo, and a few weeks ago I was at a location where my buddies who have AT&T were able to connect with no trouble at all - me, I couln't get any signal; at all.
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
  18.    #18  
    The code does not work... at least for me...

Maybe someone can figure it out.

I have to use AT&T at work but I don't want to pay for the expensive data rate. So, I have a t-mobile sim which I pay minimal monthly rate and I can use unlimited T-zone for free.

I can also see other uses. For example, you have two cell phones - one required/issued for work and one for your personal use; And you do not want to mix the billing; then this is a great setup than carrying two phones.

I used to carry two cell phones, a pager and a PDA. Now Treo is it.

I posted this because I have seen couple postings and I just want to share my experience. This might not be the best setup for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by manielse
    Ok, I need to ask....why would you do this?

If I have T-Mobile and I loose T-Mobile's signal, it will roam onto Cingular/AT&T's network for voice and data is lost during this time period with no roaming charges. By using this design, I have to pay for two cell phone services. Where's the benefit here?

I could understand if it was able to use a GPRS SIM and a CDMA SIM but that's virtually impossible.
    Not sure for people in the US, but here in Europe it does pay off to have a local prepaid SIM card for the countries that you travel to frequently. Roaming charges are obsceen. If only they had prepaid GPRS...