Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    First post.

I know I'm behind the times, but I recently just got a 180. I bought it from someone on eBay, and they said it was brand new, and never been turned on (first mistake on my part). I received the phone and charged it, got all my prefrences set, transferred numbers from SIM card to the phone book. I get ready to go out and grab my phone flip up the cover and nothing happens. I checked to make sure the power was on. Finally I decided to do a soft reset, I do that and the "Palm Powered" icon pops up and then the screen starts "spazzing" out. This has happened repeatedly. Needless to say I'm trying to get my money back from the seller, but I really like the phone. Any suggestions on why it is doing that?
    Quote Originally Posted by ahayford
    First post.

I know I'm behind the times, but I recently just got a 180. I bought it from someone on eBay, and they said it was brand new, and never been turned on (first mistake on my part). I received the phone and charged it, got all my prefrences set, transferred numbers from SIM card to the phone book. I get ready to go out and grab my phone flip up the cover and nothing happens. I checked to make sure the power was on. Finally I decided to do a soft reset, I do that and the "Palm Powered" icon pops up and then the screen starts "spazzing" out. This has happened repeatedly. Needless to say I'm trying to get my money back from the seller, but I really like the phone. Any suggestions on why it is doing that?

Have you installed any apps on it? Perhaps there's some incompatible apps causing the problem...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Can you describe the "spazzing" out? Did your screen all of sudden freeze up or started disintegrating (i.e. no viewable icons, just lines or dots or blinking line on upper left corner)?

If yes, your 180 is defective. I encountered such experience in my 180. For a while it would work then it would have the screen breakup so no icons can be viewable at all and you cannot do anything with the phone.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000
    Can you describe the "spazzing" out? Did your screen all of sudden freeze up or started disintegrating (i.e. no viewable icons, just lines or dots or blinking line on upper left corner)?

If yes, your 180 is defective. I encountered such experience in my 180. For a while it would work then it would have the screen breakup so no icons can be viewable at all and you cannot do anything with the phone.

This is exactly what it is doing.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    So is it pretty much worthless or is there something I can do?
    Dear ahayford,

You mentioned that you did a "soft-reset". Did you try a hard-reset?

Go here to learn about a hard-reset for the Treo 180:
    http://205.141.210.149/SRVS/Data/Pal...port/6034.html
    Be sure, to press "up" when prompted to erase all data!

This will totally delete all data on the phone and re-install all apps back to the factory defaults.

Once done, see if your screen still spazzes after the hard-reset - I would agree with all here that is is probably defective.

If it acts okay, an application loaded by a "previous user" was causing the problem.

Dave Lindberg
    The problem with this type of problem is that even if you did a hard reset, it would be ok for a while. Then it would go over the same problem sometime after time passes even without installing any software (after hard reset).

This makes the phone useless. I would put a claim against the seller at this point.
    Ebay ripoff # 180270600
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.