Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Even when you delete messages, the Handpring Beta e-mail application keeps lots of stuff in your Treo's memory. As a result, I was running out of memory. Even if you delete all your e-mail messages, it'll still be there! I can't tell if it's a big, ugly memory leak or if it's something to do with how attachments are handled.

To see if this is where your memory is going, go to the home page, then select Delete (as though you're going to delete an application). You'll see a huge file called HandspringInternetEmailLibrary.

The only way I know to fix this is to uninstall & reinstall the e-mail program. This does work. (I deleted HandspringInternetEmailLibrary first, did a soft reset, removed the other exchange converter program, did a soft reset, then reinstalled the Mail_Installer.prc.)

Hopefully Handspring will fix this on the next release...

Has anybody else had this problem? Does anyone know a solution that doesn't involve deleting the whole mail application?
    If you use FileZ you should be able to find a file on your treo called EMail_libr_HsMp_ for each email account you use with Handsprings Mail app (pretty sure this is the file name). Even when you delete emails with attachements, this file continues to get larger. If you delete it you will simply have to reconfigure you email account settings and your good to go.
    This way you won't have to delete the whole mail application.
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
    Forgive me if you've done this.. but have you selected "Purge" from the menu?
    Yeah, I was emailing myself files to download, and I got slammed with the email bloat. Miller is right; you can delete the libr files, and not the actual email app, but each time you do that you have to set up your email account all over again. That's why I switched. The free beta is great, except for that very big issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by ido
    That's why I switched. The free beta is great, except for that very big issue.
    Switched to what? The first time I saw this problem on my Treo, I was shocked. I would like an application where I don't have to delete the file and set the email up again. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
    Someone had the suggestion of deleting the email account files, then reconfiguring your email settings. Once this is done, make a backup copy of those email account files. Now, whenever the files get to bloated, simply delete them and replace them with the backed-up versions--no need to reconfigure your email account settings.

Hopefully Palm will release a non-beta version of the program soon, I would rather use it then pay $60 for Snapper, but it definitely still needs some tweaks.
    "Oooh oooh aaah aaah! Slap!" - MAdMoNKEY
    I switched to Snapper. Not thrilled to have to pay that much, but it does have some features I like. For example, with multiple accounts, you can fetch the mail from all accounts but have them land in specified folders, so all of the accounts aren't mixed up. You can also set up auto delivery for every day, hour, or minute, if you so choose. Oh, and when you delete an email, it stays deleted.
    And other features....
    I'd like to try the Snappermail demo again (I tried it a long time ago, but forgot what it's like), but anytime I install it on my Treo it says my trial has expired. Anyone know of a way to reset Snappermail to allow me another demo period?
    maybe you can back up your system with backupbuddy or something like it, hard reset, and restore?
    Quote Originally Posted by MAdMoNKEY
    Someone had the suggestion of deleting the email account files, then reconfiguring your email settings. Once this is done, make a backup copy of those email account files. Now, whenever the files get to bloated, simply delete them and replace them with the backed-up versions--no need to reconfigure your email account settings.

Hopefully Palm will release a non-beta version of the program soon, I would rather use it then pay $60 for Snapper, but it definitely still needs some tweaks.
    That's what I do too. Works like a charm
    Truth is good, knowledge is power and it's the second mouse who gets the cheese
  11.    #11  
    Does anybody know when (or if) Palm plans to update the mail program?
    Quote Originally Posted by ido
    maybe you can back up your system with backupbuddy or something like it, hard reset, and restore?
    Might work, though scary! Perhaps I'll give it a try one day if I need to hard reset my Treo anyways.
    Thanks for the information, had it not been posted I would never have figured out why my memory was dissapearing (any suggestions for fixing the same problem with my head would be greatly appreciated)....I just shot back up from 1.5% free memory to 17%. I'm going to reconfigure and copy to the SD card now.

Thanks for this info!!
    <a href="http://www.terriblemovies.com">TerribleMovies.Com</a>
    I was having the same problem too until I realized that deleting mail from your inbox doesn't really delete it. Much like Outlook it puts it into the "delete" folder. And much like Outlook all your sent mail stores up in your "sent" mail folder. So after I cleaned up both those folders I gained back all the memory I had lost and the EMail_libr_HsMp_ was at the size it should be.
    Doing an initial copy of these files to the SD card, deleting the bloated files on the Treo after x weeks, and recopying the files back over doesn't work - it messes up the index of accounts - Mail checks all accounts using the POP server of just one email account. Then, when I exit and re-enter the program, only three of five accounts show, and they still don't retrieve mail correctly, so I have to reset the whole thing up again. Will this procedure only work using a backup program? Why doesn't it work like this?

Thanks!!
    Ok actually I got a solution working; I deleted all the mail files, set the 5 mail accounts up again, synched, and then on my PC I copied those 5 files out of the backup directory, into another. So, I'll just either install those unbloated mail files from directory 2 on my PC manually, whenever the mail files on my Treo get bloated, or have Windows Scheduler run those files every 2 weeks, so the next time I sync, the unbloated mail files will 'automatically' replace the bloated ones
    ziphem, have you upgraded your Treo's firmware? That includes a newer version of the email app and I assume it would not have the bloat problem. BTW if you did update your firmware you need to delete the mail app from RAM so it will use the new one in ROM.
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, 1989
    Hey, I did actually upgrade a little while ago; I've got Mail v. 1.02a . I did a hard reset, upgraded to the new firmware, and synched my stuff back to the Treo. So I think I have the right mail program...?

Thanks!
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ziphem
    Hey, I did actually upgrade a little while ago; I've got Mail v. 1.02a . I did a hard reset, upgraded to the new firmware, and synched my stuff back to the Treo. So I think I have the right mail program...?

Thanks!
    v1.02a is the new version....and still has the problem described in this thread. I like the temporary solution of saving the newly setup email account files before they grow in size....and then just swapping them out with the "bloated" files as needed. Of course the only problem with this is you loose any emails you may have saved to the "Filed" or other folders.
    can one of the great developers who cruise this site make an app that can clear the unwanted messages from the email db? that would be ideal
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast