Global Posts
    125 Global Posts
    I have had Verizon and Sprint, but not Cingular. I have to look for something other than Sprint because of poor building penetration at work and I live just out of coverage. Cingular's map shows coverage in my area, but I don't know the Cingular network well enough to know the answer to some basic questions:
    1) Cingular's map shows a lot of coverage - Is all of this GSM or are the being a little sly and mixing the network types on one map?
    2) Will the 600 only work in GSM areas only?
    3) Is there a limitation on where the data network is available? Is it much more limited?

I'm going to contact a CSR, but I want to get some answers from people in the know.
    From what I understand the Cingular and soon to be Cingular/ATT GSM network is the best, but still falls way short of the coverage of the CDMA networks.

The GSM coverage map is different, but still shows pretty good penetration, I've seen it, perhaps it is on the Cingular web site.

Have you been able to roam from Sprint to Verizon....... with the Treo? I believe the Treo works with both systems and Verizon's coverage is better. I guess it would have automatically detected it though, and it sounds like you are having problems anyway.

I asked Sprint about roaming, and for $5 additional per month, they won't charge you for the Verizon-roams, or any other roaming that you are doing.. and they told me that data will also work while roaming.

Im' new to this also, so anyone please feel free to correct/add anything

Todd
    Global Posts
    125 Global Posts
    I've seen the GSM map on the Cingular web site, but I wasn't sure whether the map only told 1/2 the story (map is of multiple frequency bands and the treo doesn't have all of them).

I've never hit roam with my treo 300 or my Hitachi G1000, so I cannot answer the question.
    Just look for GSM nation on the Cingular web site. It is a combination of T-Mobile/AT&T/Cingular GSM coverage. The treo will work in all those areas. No extra charge for data if you have the GSM nation plan. Its even better if you get the $19.99 MEdia package, with unlimited internet, and fail to mention that you will use this package on a treo.

The GSM plan should not be confused with the GAIT nation plan, the multi-network plan. It consists of GSM/TDMA/Analog networks. You need a special GAIT phone for this deal. The plan has great coverage, but poor phone selection. There are two phones to choose from, but neither is a flip, camera, color, or treo type phone.

Does this help?
    Global Posts
    125 Global Posts
    yes thanks!