Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    The nice folks at Palm Gear are advertising TreoButler in an upcoming newsletter through Palm Source.

Unfortunately the Palm Source lawyers don't think I should be using the name Treo Butler unless I have a licence to the treo mark.

So Treo Butler is no more!

Downloading butler on top of treobutler will no-doubt cause endless grief so do delete Treo Butler before your next upgrade!
    Hobbyist Software
    VLC Remote - Control VLC from your Pre
    Remote - Control iTunes from your Pre
    just the name? or are there other changes? Love butler and arrow, keep the updates coming!
    Christo

"it's not the quantity, but the quality"

There are NO Limits
    I just paid for it!

Looks like I'm able to dump Phone Guard and Treo Alert Manager and only use Butler.

Nice app! Congrats on the mention from Palm Gear.
    I got rid of the same two programs when I got Treo Butler.
    Stupid Lawyers.....
    They are the ones that get hurt my you not using the Treo name. I would call it Tree-O Butler.
    Don't they have a life of better things to do like defend someone from eating the healthy food at mickey D's and getting fat, of someone suing a homeowner for getting hurt as they tried to brake into their house and rob them

BUT HEY, it looks like your big time now, now that they are worried about you using the name they got from Handspring.
    Yea PalmOne, after the little guy, are they picking on someone their own size.

RANT OVER...sorry.

Rob, Your TXXXButler rocks, and your Arrow Launcher has come a long, long way from your first build. You really out did your self with the GUI on the Arrow Launcher. It looks like a palm os guru make it IMHO.

THanks, happy customer #502, Matt Burkhard
    Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    Greetings Rob.

I have no idea what number I am, but I do appreciate both TB/Butler and appreciate your time and attention to a great product that should have been/perhaps will be OEM? on the Treo 600.

Though, I'm still using TB v 1.2 (for frear of battery drain), I LOVE the program. Arrow Launcher is great and I'm getting the hang of it.

Congrats on the mention on PalmGear and keep up the GREAT work.

Cheers!
  7.    #7  
    Thanks Guys!

Matt - I love the idea of Tree-O Butler! And re the arrow launcher GUI - I think it's fantastic too - but credit must go to the artist Quint who's an old friend of mine!
    Christo - Only the name has changed.
    7Zero - I think the battery drain is now fixed - I haven't charged for 48 hrs, I've made about 30mins of calls and my battery is at 52%. What have other people found?

Stay well!
    Last edited by confusedvorlon; 05/06/2004 at 03:32 AM.
    Hobbyist Software
    Quote Originally Posted by confusedvorlon

Unfortunately the Palm Source lawyers don't think I should be using the name Treo Butler unless I have a licence to the treo mark.

WTF!? What about the gazzillion other apps with the word "treo" in them? This is such a stupid move and reminds me of the grief Palm caused when it sent a legal notice to all enthusiast sites like Palminfocenter, PalmAddict etc to remove desist from using the word "palm". They got soo much flak then I'ld thought they had learned their lession...I guess not...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    So Treo Butler is no more!
    Long live Treo Butler! ...Er, Butler. Long live Butler.
    Could somebody post the email address of Palm Source that we could all use to complain about this? I find it completely ridiculous, especially when HS/P1 have said for plenty of missing built-in features that they're expecting 3rd parties to come up with a solution.
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    WTF!? What about the gazzillion other apps with the word "treo" in them? This is such a stupid move and reminds me of the grief Palm caused when it sent a legal notice to all enthusiast sites like Palminfocenter, PalmAddict etc to remove desist from using the word "palm". They got soo much flak then I'ld thought they had learned their lession...I guess not...
    Makes me wonder if they're coming after TreoCentral as well...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mol
    Could somebody post the email address of Palm Source that we could all use to complain about this? I find it completely ridiculous, especially when HS/P1 have said for plenty of missing built-in features that they're expecting 3rd parties to come up with a solution.

It's not PalmSource, it's PalmGear. They have always been a pain in the a$$ to developers.
    Quote Originally Posted by wcarlson40
    It's not PalmSource, it's PalmGear. They have always been a pain in the a$$ to developers.
    R->C->P

Could somebody post the email address of Palm Source that we could all use to complain about this?
    I second this. confusedvorlon -- post an address (electronic or otherwise) and at least a few of us will write complaints in your favor. (Doing so would clarify exactly who you're having trouble with, as well. ...You know, for the slow ones.)
  14.    #14  
    Hi All - I think I need to clarify where this is all coming from..

1) It's not palmgear! They have been great in helping me deal with this - It would have been much easier for them to simply pull Treo Butler from the mailing. If other developers have found them to be a pain - I have only found them to be helpful and responsive.
    2) It's not PalmOne - (who presumably own the Treo trademark.)
    3) Nobody has actually asked me to stop selling software under the name Treo Butler
    4) The email in question is an "eBlast being sent out from PalmSource". The lawyers at PalmSource said 'Unless "treo butler" has license to use the "treo" mark it probably needs to be changed or removed.'. Effectively - they were unwilling to be complicit in what they think might be my abuse of the Treo trademark.

There's really no avenue to complain to these guys - they're taking a conservative legal stance of not exposing PalmSource (Which is their job!). I'm also extremely keen to be included in their marketing so the last thing I want to do is **** them off - which leaves two options.

a) change the name
    b) seek a licence from Palm One.

Obviously in the couple of hours I had - option a was the only one possible. I will try to contact Palm One and ask for permission to use the Treo Butler name. Who knows how they will respond!
    Hobbyist Software
    long live the Butler !!
    Does Butler have the option to turn off the screen while on a call? I can't seem to find how to do it. If it does, could someone let me know what I need to set?

Maybe I need to put Phone Guard back on?
    Hi All - I think I need to clarify where this is all coming from..
    Thanks for the clarification.
    Confused,
    Great program Bulter is... do you think you could add the functionality that Treo Allegro has with the auto dimming of the screen and such based on the time?

That program is very flakey and I got rid of it, but the concept itself is great.

Nothing like taking out the treo in a dim lit place (bar or restaurant) and suddenly this flashlight effect from the treo gets everyone looking over... sometimes that's good, sometimes that bad.

Jim
    Jim, Short term fix (long term for me) is mLights from Motoion Apps.

http://www.motionapps.com/products.jsp?mlights

Also, I guess Portland, Oregon
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by lgreenberg
    Does Butler have the option to turn off the screen while on a call? I can't seem to find how to do it. If it does, could someone let me know what I need to set?

Maybe I need to put Phone Guard back on?
    You can't do this with Butler - though I believe sandman will.

As to more generic light control - It's not high on my to-do list. I'm wary now of adding more stuff to Butler as people seem to just get shirty when it's initially not perfect. Top of the to do list for new features is to add ability to play MP3 for incoming call.
    Hobbyist Software
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast