Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I just upgraded to 1.47 and can confirm that the battery drain problem has been solved (at least for me). I was wondering why I had that problem before but hadn't quite pinpointed it to TB/Butler. My battery stays in the 90%+ range for quite a while after a charge rather than dipping quickly as it did before. Great job on this program. I'm going to try Arrow Launcher, too. Keep up the good work!

And yes, it's my first post on TreoCentral. Had to express my thanks.
    Nokia 6185 (Sprint) & Sharp Zaurus ZR-5800 -- > Samsung SCH-8500 (Sprint) -- > Treo 600 (Cingular)
    Have you thought of using "TButler" or T600Butler" those names should get around the legal issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by Burkhardi

Also, I guess Portland, Oregon
    Okay maybe it isn't so obvious.... Hoboken NJ. Home of old blue eyes... and just down the road from Bada Bing (the real name is Satin Dolls). I'm so proud.
    Ya know you're in Soprano country when you can identify where just about every scene is shot. Luckily I don't know anyone who even marginally reminds me of those characters. Entertaining show though.

Mlights looks good but I hate to spend another $8 on an app that doesn't do all that much... hmmm...
    Jim
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by Parityone
    Have you thought of using "TButler" or T600Butler" those names should get around the legal issues.
    I did think of T butler and T600Butler was the old name that appeared on the app. I figured butler was simple and would also flag up in searches for treo butler!
    Hobbyist Software
    VLC Remote - Control VLC from your Pre
    Remote - Control iTunes from your Pre
    I have one problem with the alert notifiers. I have it checked to alert me of an incoming call so that if I miss the call, the phone will make noise to let me know. However, this causes a problem when I pick up the call. I still get the alerts while I am on the phone. I have set them to occur ever 2 minutes, so it only causes problems on long calls.

This seems like a bug because if i pick up the call, it should not keep alerting me that there was a call.

thanks
    -n
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfbeast
    I have one problem with the alert notifiers. I have it checked to alert me of an incoming call so that if I miss the call, the phone will make noise to let me know. However, this causes a problem when I pick up the call. I still get the alerts while I am on the phone. I have set them to occur ever 2 minutes, so it only causes problems on long calls.

This seems like a bug because if i pick up the call, it should not keep alerting me that there was a call.

thanks
    -n
    I think that bug is now fixed - except where you answer with the headset (I haven't figured out how to 'spot' a headset press yet). Let me know if you find otherwise. I just tested answering with the centre key and tapping the answer button (on screen) with version 1.48.
    Hobbyist Software
    Quote Originally Posted by JimHoboken
    Confused,
    Great program Bulter is... do you think you could add the functionality that Treo Allegro has with the auto dimming of the screen and such based on the time?
    Besides mLights, you might want to keep an eye on the many different profile programs in development. You can set up screen dimming/brightening in both Profiler and Profiles. Scheduling should be available in Profiler really soon:
    http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=49194
    And keyboard backlight settings will eventually be added as well.
    CV, another problem rarely documented is the still-present conflict w KeyCaps600.
    More specifically, with KC600 enabled, the KLaunch feature still leaves 'remnants' behind when used in certain apps (MemoPad, DateBk5). I think the problem exists because Butler is set to delete only the last single character typed. Would it be possible to increase this 2 (or even 3 for safe measure). I use KLaunch extensively and would hate to think that I'm leaving remnants around everywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by impresario
    I just upgraded to 1.47 and can confirm that the battery drain problem has been solved (at least for me). I was wondering why I had that problem before but hadn't quite pinpointed it to TB/Butler. My battery stays in the 90%+ range for quite a while after a charge rather than dipping quickly as it did before. Great job on this program. I'm going to try Arrow Launcher, too. Keep up the good work!

And yes, it's my first post on TreoCentral. Had to express my thanks.
    I upgraded to Butler and my battery began to drain like a sieve. Reverted to Treobutler 1.4 and the problem has vanished.
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by rudychow
    CV, another problem rarely documented is the still-present conflict w KeyCaps600.
    More specifically, with KC600 enabled, the KLaunch feature still leaves 'remnants' behind when used in certain apps (MemoPad, DateBk5). I think the problem exists because Butler is set to delete only the last single character typed. Would it be possible to increase this 2 (or even 3 for safe measure). I use KLaunch extensively and would hate to think that I'm leaving remnants around everywhere.
    Hi Rudy - I'm surprised at this one - I thought it was fixed.

How are you managing to type multiple characters? My expectation is that you press & hold e, that cycles through E,1 then a single delete will delete that char.

If I passed more than one delete - then you could start deleting stuff that was already there.

The only idiosyncracy I know of is that you have to enable butler after keycaps600.
    Hobbyist Software
  11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by Slem
    I upgraded to Butler and my battery began to drain like a sieve. Reverted to Treobutler 1.4 and the problem has vanished.
    This is terrible - I thought it was fixed. Can you try a delete and re-install for good measure?
    Hobbyist Software
    Quote Originally Posted by confusedvorlon
    This is terrible - I thought it was fixed. Can you try a delete and re-install for good measure?
    Will do.
    Quote Originally Posted by confusedvorlon
    How are you managing to type multiple characters? My expectation is that you press & hold e, that cycles through E,1 then a single delete will delete that char.
    This only happens in apps like MemoPad & DateBk5 and only then when you are in the list view. Because when you are in list view, any key entered will immediately create a new memo (new appt in DateBk5's case).

I'm guessing the problem is due to fact that the initial key was pressed when not in a text field. What this does in certain apps is create a new entry. After which, the press (& hold) state will be "reset"*. And since the key is still held down, the OS reads this as a second keypress and reacts accordingly. Only then does KC600 react, followed by Butler. In no way is this a fault of KC600 or Butler, it is just the way the inbuilt OS handles long keyboard presses.

*You can test this without KC600 or Butler. Just press & hold when in memopad list view and you'll notice a short pause after the initial character, after which the alphabet will be repeated until you let the key go.

Let me give you an illustration:

1. I launch memopad and are in the list view.
    2. Still in list view, I want to dial my voicemail and therefore hit & hold the 'E/1' key.
    3. A new memo is created with E as the first character. Still keeping the 'E' key held down, KC600 kicks in and a second letter is created and that letter cycles as I had defined in KC600.
    4. Butler deletes the second character and dials my voicemail. First 'E' is still left behind.

I'm curious if anyone else has expreienced this...
    Last edited by rudychow; 05/11/2004 at 05:22 AM.
  14.    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by rudychow
    This only happens in apps like MemoPad & DateBk5 and only then when you are in the list view. Because when you are in list view, any key entered will immediately create a new memo (new appt in DateBk5's case). Only after that then will KC600 kick in. Let me give an illustration:

1. I launch memopad and are in the list view.
    2. Still in list view, I want to dial my voicemail and therefore hit & hold the 'E/1' key.
    3. A new memo is created with E as the first character. Still keeping the 'E' key held down, KC600 kicks in and a second letter is created and that letter cycles as I had defined in KC600.
    4. Butler deletes the second character and dials my voicemail. First 'E' is still left behind.

I guess the problem is due to the fact that the initial key was pressed when not in a text field. What this does in certain apps is create a new entry. And since the key is still held down, the OS reads this as a second keypress and reacts accordingly. Only then does KC600 react, followed by Butler.

I'm curious if anyone else has expreienced this...
    I see what you mean - I can now replicate this.

If you just turn off keylaunch then pressing t will start a memo with t and a modified t. I think this is a (very minor) keycaps600 bug rather than a keylaunch bug. Effectively keycaps 600 has let the first t through and has only got to work on the second one.

I can't imagine any way that butler could know that two key strokes went through though only one was intended - and therefore send two delete keys. If I just sent additional delete keys normally, then you would end up deleting stuff that was there proviously.

In short - I think you'll have to live with this one!
    Hobbyist Software
    I don't think it is KC600's fault. I believe it is the way certain apps (memopad, datebk5) handle long key presses.
    Because if I were to disable KC600, and try the KLaunch feature when in memopad listview, it will create repeats of the same character before launching. How many depends on how many repeats you've set KLaunch to ignore. And only the last one will be deleted by Butler.

I propose this: since that how many repeats to ignore is a user-defined option, do you think you could make how many characters to delete a user-defined option?
    Just installed (and registered) Butler 1.48 and for the most part really like it, and had some general feedback. I thought I would post here because I have seen the developer read there.

1) thanks for making Butler and Keycaps work together. I had to spend some time messing around with it (even after following the directions in the (i) tab, but got it working).

2) the bleed through problem on the attention grabber that I have seen discussed here is probably my biggest annoyance. Hopefully you are looking into this as this is the only reason right now I would uninstall the product. ;-)

3) The little key character on the bottom right doesn't always show up when I power on the Treo. I know it's locked, so usually hitting it will clear things up.

4) I originally installed the product because of the 'extra strong' keygaurd protection. Unforchanately, it still isn't strong enough for me. I have a side loading case and also have some speed dials set. When the phone rings and I pull it out of the case, it is hitting the screen answer button. This sucks because sometimes I don't want to take the call, but then I am kind of locked in at that point. Extra strong to me would be if I had to hit the center wheel button and then press the answer key. Disabling the other buttons are nice, but it isn't exactly what I was looking for.

5) Took me awhile to figure out what the flashing * was for. I have noticed that when I click OK on an event, I have to still select the * and clear the event. Maybe this is on purpose or I am doing something wrong, not sure.

6) I LOVE the menu hold == command. Awesome!

7) Change the Sir/Madam to just a user defined string. ;-)

Thanks again and great work.

Darrell
    Quote Originally Posted by driddle
    2) the bleed through problem on the attention grabber that I have seen discussed here is probably my biggest annoyance. Hopefully you are looking into this as this is the only reason right now I would uninstall the product. ;-)
    What do you mean by bleed through?

4) I originally installed the product because of the 'extra strong' keygaurd protection. Unforchanately, it still isn't strong enough for me. I have a side loading case and also have some speed dials set. When the phone rings and I pull it out of the case, it is hitting the screen answer button.
    Under the "Prefs" application of your Treo, go to "Keyguard". You should have an option to disable the touchscreen while on a call, and for incoming calls. This should solve your problem. Note you can go to Butler, go to the "Misc" page, and enable the option to press "S" to reenable the touchscreen at any point.
    "Oooh oooh aaah aaah! Slap!" - MAdMoNKEY
    By bleedthrough I mean that the buzzing/MP3 problems that have been discussed in numerous threads.

My problem is not disabling the touchscreen while on a call, it is answering the call. I did try the suggestion you gave above and that didn't help me.
  19.    #39  
    By bleedthrough I mean that the buzzing/MP3 problems that have been discussed in numerous threads.

My problem is not disabling the touchscreen while on a call, it is answering the call. I did try the suggestion you gave above and that didn't help me.
    Not sure what you mean by bleedthrough here. Are you saying that the attention manager goes off after you answer the call (and you answer using the on-screen button or centre key) ? I thought that had been fixed.

re answering the call - madmonkey's suggestion should stop the call from being answered through tapping the screen.

Thanks for the other comments!
    - the asterix is actually an os5 thing, It's the standard attention manager.
    Hobbyist Software
    And try to get a license to use a name, I registered Palmoscentral a long time ago, started to build a palmos based website, etc. I researched and emailed, filled out a form I think, just to get permission or License to use the PalmOS part of the name. It took 2 months and 3 emails to get a response, and this is from a particular person who's email address at Palm is for this, then when I did get a responce saying I would get a reply, I never did, thats about 7 months ago now.
    Jim@treo1.com
    <a href="http://treo1.com">
    treo1.com
    One Stop, plain and simple
    <a href="http://treo1.com/index650.htm"> Visit our new Treo650 optimized site!!</a>
    <a href="http://palmoscentral.com"> Visit our new website palmOSCentral.com!</a>
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast