Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21
  1. teel's Avatar
    Posts
    5 Posts
       #1  
    Ok, the title is a little misleading, but here's a neat little trick I've been using to listen to streaming RealAudio on my Treo:

    1) Get yourself an audio recording/editing program on your home computer (I use Audacity - free and open source at audacity.sourceforge.net.) Configure it to record your soundcard input (Audacity does this by default) and start recording a new audio track - will be zero noise at this point because you're not listening to anything.

    2) Start playing your favorite RealAudio stream (I've been listening to This American Life and other NPR/PRI programs). You'll see the audio signal being recorded by your audio editing program. Let it run and keep recording until your program is finished.

    3) Delete any blank space at the beginning or end of the program in your audio editor.

    4) Convert to MP3 (most editors have a built-in encoder for this), then download onto your Treo's SD card and listen at your convenience via PocketTunes. I've been encoding at 96kbps, and an hour-long program takes up about 27MB - not too bad.

    It's a little tedious, but I've found it to be a decent way to get some good content on my Treo, at least until the RealPlayer supports streaming audio for the Treo. Enjoy!
  2. #2  
    for example?
    is there a way to listen non shoutcast programs (coded in real audio)?
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by teel
    Ok, the title is a little misleading, but here's a neat little trick I've been using to listen to streaming RealAudio on my Treo:

    1) Get yourself an audio recording/editing program on your home computer (I use Audacity - free and open source at audacity.sourceforge.net.) Configure it to record your soundcard input (Audacity does this by default) and start recording a new audio track - will be zero noise at this point because you're not listening to anything.

    2) Start playing your favorite RealAudio stream (I've been listening to This American Life and other NPR/PRI programs). You'll see the audio signal being recorded by your audio editing program. Let it run and keep recording until your program is finished.

    3) Delete any blank space at the beginning or end of the program in your audio editor.

    4) Convert to MP3 (most editors have a built-in encoder for this), then download onto your Treo's SD card and listen at your convenience via PocketTunes. I've been encoding at 96kbps, and an hour-long program takes up about 27MB - not too bad.

    It's a little tedious, but I've found it to be a decent way to get some good content on my Treo, at least until the RealPlayer supports streaming audio for the Treo. Enjoy!
    A complete waste of time and energy.

    Pocket Tunes Deluxe does real time Shoutcast.
  4. teel's Avatar
    Posts
    5 Posts
       #4  
    Yes, but there are things I like to listen to that aren't streamed on Shoutcast. And this way, you have a program locally so you can pause and resume at your convenience.

    Granted, it takes time, but you can start a program recording, go do something else, then have it archived for listening later.

    I guess it ends up being more like an Audible.com audiobook than a streamed program, but it works nonetheless...
  5. #5  
    A much easier solution is Replay Radio. It is a great product for those who want to transport recorded streaming audio. It has a great scheduling feature which will record things when you're not there.
  6. #6  
    I use Replay Radio as well - its great - you can take 2 SD cards stick one in a drive and have Replay Radio do a TIVO like thing for you and catch the program you like - Then switch every other day - forget the "do I have a good connection thing" that shoutcast requires - you get your program right there on the disk - this works for talk radio or catch your favorite radio station skip the commercials and have fresh content. When you put your treo in the cradle - switch cards - so simple
  7. #7  
    Getafact,
    I'm glad you enjoy it. For some reason it doesn't work on my computer. I haven't registered it yet, but it says it will do 3 minutes. One of these days when I have some time I'm going to sit down and troubelshoot.
  8. #8  
    Check the FAQ on Replay's site. There are settings in Real you have to change if you have this problem. It solved it for me.

    And getafact: great idea. I never thought of saving straight to the card. I thought having to copy the files over every day would be a chore, but this is a great solution.
  9. #9  
    I use WM, but I think the problem is with my computer not waking up to do the recording. I hate leaving it on all the time because I don't think it's the most efficient beast in the world, and it's certainly noisy and in my bedroom. I'm looking at a quiet cube pc (like a Shuttle) that I can hook up to a yet-to-be-purchased TV in my living room that will solve the problem all together. I'd also throw Snapstream into the mix for a kicking DVR.
  10. #10  
    Kurt,
    I currently have PVR provided by my cable company right next to the PC and TV... what is the quality of this tuner and software combination?? I would love to get rid of the cable company's PVR and connect through the PC ($20/month)

    edit: I would not be interested in spending 200 bucks..

    I have a remote (5 of them in the room)
    I have a TV
    The TV has a tuner
    The computer has S-video out

    Anybody know of a way to take the Svideo from the TV to the computer then back to the TV???

    If this would work, id only need to get a Svideo in card and the software, and wouldnt be duplicating anything I already have
    Last edited by broberob; 05/20/2004 at 06:23 PM.
  11. #11  
    bump
  12. #12  
    *SIGH* N00bians.

    Shoutcast offers a free ShoutCast server. I have it setup so basically anything that plays through my computer speaker will also be streamed out through my Shoutcast server and into my Treo.

    I also have Firepad running to stream video from my video capture card. Run firepad & pTunes at the same time and you're that close to having true streaming video with audio. The problem is that the latency between the two apps are never synced. Meaning the sound and video aren't synced.

    I sometimes have this configured so that it sends a video feed and microphone feed of my house. I also have a second (cheap) webcam installed. The second webcam along with motion detection software emails my phone when motion is detected which will prompt me to see who/what is moving around in my house.

    There so much the Treo can do, we have the technology.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by broberob
    Kurt,
    I currently have PVR provided by my cable company right next to the PC and TV... what is the quality of this tuner and software combination?? I would love to get rid of the cable company's PVR and connect through the PC ($20/month)

    Anybody know of a way to take the Svideo from the TV to the computer then back to the TV???
    $20 a month, 10 months, there's your $200. Does your TV have an Svideo in? I'm shopping for a TV right now and this is an absolute must.
  14. #14  
    yes it has svideo in. I have a remote for the computer also
  15. #15  
    Have you tried just running an Svideo cable from the PC to the TV?
  16. #16  
    I was a little unclear, i have svideo in and out on the tv and svideo out on the pc

    the pc does not have svideo in

    PCI or usb svideo in along with software would be what id need
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by ckaneko
    *SIGH* N00bians.

    Shoutcast offers a free ShoutCast server. I have it setup so basically anything that plays through my computer speaker will also be streamed out through my Shoutcast server and into my Treo.

    I also have Firepad running to stream video from my video capture card. Run firepad & pTunes at the same time and you're that close to having true streaming video with audio. The problem is that the latency between the two apps are never synced. Meaning the sound and video aren't synced.

    I sometimes have this configured so that it sends a video feed and microphone feed of my house. I also have a second (cheap) webcam installed. The second webcam along with motion detection software emails my phone when motion is detected which will prompt me to see who/what is moving around in my house.

    There so much the Treo can do, we have the technology.
    Wankers shouldn't sigh.

    Everybody was a NEWBIE at some time.

    We all try and help each other out !
  18. #18  
    Last night I tried out HiDownload, and pulled all of this year's This American Life programs onto the Treo. I had to pull the URLs one at a time, but it took me about five minutes to set it all up, and then I just walked away and let the PC record everything.

    When I was finished I dumped the .rm files onto the card, and voila!
  19. #19  
    PattiB - whats special about HiDownload - I ve never heard of it? - will ptunes play .rm files?
  20. #20  
    PTunes doesn't play .rm files, but there's a RealAudio player that works on the Treo.

    HiDownload is useful in that it will take a RealAudio stream and pull it down to your computer. You can't just save the streaming audio files without using a special program to do it... it's not like you can right-click/save-as from a browser.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions