1.    #1  
    Wow, this Treocentral crash really wasted a LOT of GREAT information about the Treos.

It's a real shame.

Anyway, this was probably covered before, but I want to find a way to convert my MovieRec files to any other format to be viewable on a PC.

Either the crash wiped out the thread or I can't seem to find it. Anyway, here's what I've done, would like some input if anyone has any.

I downloaded and tried ALL of these (note that you have to set your date back on your PC I think to get them to work):

http://www.ent.ohiou.edu/~puri/Treo600/

"For MovieRec Versions 1.05 and 1.04

Windows: (Use the latest version)

* mvrec2mpeg-gui.exe(0.90Beta)
    Supports creation of Mpeg-4 or 3gp Video files.
    * mvrec2mpeg-gui.exe(0.80Beta).
    Fixes bug where users are getting 0 size mpeg file.
    This is happening due to error in calculating frame rate.
    This version will play at 24fps.
    * mvrec2mpeg-gui.exe(0.72Beta)
    * mvrec2mpeg-gui.exe(0.70Beta)"

I used every possible combination of version 1.04 and 1.041 and every version listed above. It keeps saying "incorrect version of video file" or something like that. I was trying to get this to work in the past but the Treocentral crash happened and I lost all the reference material. I was hoping to see people start talking about it again, but searching yields nothing so far, so here's a new thread. If anyone has had any success with a Sprint Treo 600 and converting a video I'd REALLY appreciate it if you could tip me off to how to do it correctly.. thanks...
    ----------------------------------------
    mk3cn4 uses a Treo 600 with ReqWireless Web Browser (others are useless IMO), Snappermail, Xiino, PalmVNC... and is a big infone fan. Cheaper and magnatudes better than Sprint's 411 ripoff, www.infone.com.
    I go to the web-based upload site:

http://66.92.128.100/treo/high.html

You upload your file, and are then redirected to a download site to pick up your file in 3gp and mpg versions. Of course, anyone else can pick up your files, so convert at your own risk.

The Windows version was very convenient, but it was based on trial software and thus isn't working any longer.
    Quote Originally Posted by mk3cn4
    I used every possible combination of version 1.04 and 1.041 and every version listed above. It keeps saying "incorrect version of video file" or something like that. I was trying to get this to work in the past but the Treocentral crash happened and I lost all the reference material. I was hoping to see people start talking about it again, but searching yields nothing so far, so here's a new thread. If anyone has had any success with a Sprint Treo 600 and converting a video I'd REALLY appreciate it if you could tip me off to how to do it correctly.. thanks...
    how are you transferring the saved MovieRec file from your Treo to your computer?

Also, at the end of the conversion process a file "mvrec2mpeg-log.txt" will be created which has the log information. Check the version number printed in there. It has to be 140. If not you are doing something wrong transferring the file from Treo to your computer.

-chiru
    Is it possible to transfer the video+sound files created by movierec 1.12 to my computer and convert to avi or mpg format?

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by ctaylor
    Is it possible to transfer the video+sound files created by movierec 1.12 to my computer and convert to avi or mpg format?

Thanks!
    It is possible to convert movierec 1.12 files to mpeg format. I am working on it. As an initial cut check out the java version on http://132.235.17.1/~puri/Treo600/java . This will create a PPM (portable pixmap) file for each frame and PCM files for the audio part.

-chiru
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by chiru
    how are you transferring the saved MovieRec file from your Treo to your computer?

Also, at the end of the conversion process a file "mvrec2mpeg-log.txt" will be created which has the log information. Check the version number printed in there. It has to be 140. If not you are doing something wrong transferring the file from Treo to your computer.

-chiru
    Thanks for the reply, I'll give exact steps. Right now I have Movie rec 1.04 (just checked). I record a small clip. I then run Filez and copy it to the root of my SD card. The file is called "MovieRec-Video" and is 863k. I then remove my SD card, and put it in my SD card reader. I then copy the file MovieRec-Video over to my hard drive under C:\temp folder.

I then visit the link listed above, and download the file mvrec2mpeg-gui.exe(0.90Beta) and save it to the c:\temp folder with the movie file. I then set the date back on my computer to 5/5/03. I then run the downloaded program, and it shows a "load file" button. I click the load file button and choose my video that I just copied to c:\temp. The button Convert File comes up. I click that, and it pops up a box saying "Wrong version of video file:Error 0". A log file does appear in the folder, and it says the following:

MovieRec2Mpeg-1 Version Version 0.90Beta
    Created by Chiru - chiru229@yahoo.com
    THIS IS A TRIAL SOFTWARE AND HAS NOT
    BEEN TESTED COMPLETLY. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE
    FOR ANY DAMAGES IT MIGHT CAUSE
    USE WITH CAUTION!!

Options
    Create Mpeg Video File: YES
    Create Jpeg Files: NO
    Delete Temporary Files: YES

Successfully opened C:\temp\MovieRec-Video.pdb
    Version: 77
    VideoWidth: 111
    VideoHeight: 118
    VideoDepth: 105
    FrameCount: 183
    Compress: 101
    VideoRecordId:11619
    Wrong version of Video File. This program works on 1.04 and 1.05 version of movierec files

Am I missing something? I'd be glad to upload the video or whatever... I did "about" in the movierec and it says version 1.04.

I've tried all combinations of the various versions of the converter programs and movierec 1.04 and 1.041, none of them would convert. Has anyone else had success with 1.04 MovieRec and the .9 beta of the converter program? (Maybe MovieRec 1.04 was changed and nobody noticed?) Thanks again for any insight... I have a Sprint Treo 600.

mk3cn4 uses a Treo 600 with ReqWireless Web Browser (others are useless IMO), Snappermail, Xiino, PalmVNC... and is a big infone fan. Cheaper and magnatudes better than Sprint's 411 ripoff, www.infone.com.
    Quote Originally Posted by mk3cn4
    Thanks for the reply, I'll give exact steps. Right now I have Movie rec 1.04 (just checked). I record a small clip. I then run Filez and copy it to the root of my SD card. The file is called "MovieRec-Video" and is 863k. I then remove my SD card, and put it in my SD card reader. I then copy the file MovieRec-Video over to my hard drive under C:\temp folder.
    You are doing all the things right except the main step. Here is what you should do.

- Use MovieRec and record a small clip
    - When MovieRec asks you to save the clip, goto the top right and in the popdown menu choose your SD card. This will save the clip directly to the SD card
    - The proceed with the rest of the steps as you described

When you record to internal memory and transfer it using Filez, the video clip does not maintain the same format as required by the conversion program.

-chiru
  8.    #8  
    You are doing all the things right except the main step. Here is what you should do.

- Use MovieRec and record a small clip
    - When MovieRec asks you to save the clip, goto the top right and in the popdown menu choose your SD card. This will save the clip directly to the SD card
    - The proceed with the rest of the steps as you described

When you record to internal memory and transfer it using Filez, the video clip does not maintain the same format as required by the conversion program.

-chiru
    EXCELLENT. I will try that next chance I get to a PC with a card reader. At first I thought my high detail descrip was silly, but I'm glad I did it that way. THANKS FOR THE HELP.
    It is possible to convert movierec 1.12 files to mpeg format. I am working on it. As an initial cut check out the java version on http://132.235.17.1/~puri/Treo600/java . This will create a PPM (portable pixmap) file for each frame and PCM files for the audio part.

-chiru
    Chiru -

Thanks very much for your quick response to my question. Unfortunately, I've been so busy that it is only now that I am trying it out and I confess I don't know quite what to do once I've unzipped the download. My apologies for my ignorance/stupidity!
    Quote Originally Posted by ctaylor
    Chiru -

Thanks very much for your quick response to my question. Unfortunately, I've been so busy that it is only now that I am trying it out and I confess I don't know quite what to do once I've unzipped the download. My apologies for my ignorance/stupidity!
    If you have JRE(Java Runtime Environment), just double click mvrec2mpeg.jar and it will bring up the GUI. Use the GUI to convert the movierec file to Mpeg-1 video file.

-chiru
    If you have JRE(Java Runtime Environment), just double click mvrec2mpeg.jar and it will bring up the GUI. Use the GUI to convert the movierec file to Mpeg-1 video file.

-chiru
    Thanks very much! For some reason, JAR files were being associated with my unzip program. I've got that fixed now, and it works wonderfully!

Have you got a plan to include audio in the output file?

In any case, wonderful work!