Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    As you can see I'm still rookie to Treos. I saw Treo 600 and I really didn't like it bit due to very small keyboard so I checked Treo 300 it's not bad. I've been asking around about push email system, and they absolutely know nothing. It's soo frustrating to get information so I guess my shot is here. I went to many stores and they really don't give me enough information. One representative at Compusa said Treo 600 has push email system?? I read a lot of posts/threads here and it doesn't sound like push email to me. It sounds like pull email which I don't like. I also checked the palmone faq about emails and they listed push email on it and I didn't see more information how it works with. I also saw the lists they provided for corporate emails but it seems that it only works for corporate solution not for personal use??? Please tell me a simple answer. Do Treo handhelds have push email capability for personal use?
    Well I know you probably tell me to get blackberry and I don't like the blackberry design :-D It's too bulky heh :-D. Plus the service provider for Blackberry is not good for me anyways. It sucks. Thanks for reading so far.
    I appreciate it if you reply and provide accurate info about push email capability.

Regards,
    Karen
    The best solution for personal push email use on the Treo so far is Chatter with an IMAP email account. It works great and is pretty inexpensive compared to other IMAP solutions. It's not a full-fledged email app like Snapper, but it gets your messages to you immediately and syncs with the server so your desktop IMAP client reflets the changes made on the treo.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for quick reply :-D I'll check it out. :-D

Karen
    The two solutions for Push email on the Treo600 (sorry not many options for Treo300) are Chatter and Goodlink. There were actually many threads on this subject, but the reason why you probably haven't foudn them was b/c of a recent forum crash! Anyway, Chatter is a neat little app that combines IMAP push and IM into one app. Good is probably the best all around Push email solution out there... Then there is of course the PalmOS blackberry client that should be released by the end of this year....

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I didn't mention Good since he was asking for personal solutions instead of corporate...is there an option to use the Good system without having your work hook it up with their exchange server or whatever?
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Are there any programs that do Push with POP3 accounts?
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Then there is of course the PalmOS blackberry client that should be released by the end of this year....
    gfunk-not sure if you would know, but is this 'proposed' software supposed to link up to the BES so that we can get push mail just like the Blackberry. Could you point me in the direction of where to read up on that, etc. Since this is a Blackberry shop running BES, a PalmOS add-on to the BES (assuming that is the jist of how it works) would be stellar for me.
    You can use TreoHelper to do psuedo push-mail with SnapperMail or VersaMail. That would allow POP.
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, 1989
    Sprint to Deploy RIM Software for the Treo 600
    Quote Originally Posted by awinsberg
    gfunk-not sure if you would know, but is this 'proposed' software supposed to link up to the BES so that we can get push mail just like the Blackberry. Could you point me in the direction of where to read up on that, etc. Since this is a Blackberry shop running BES, a PalmOS add-on to the BES (assuming that is the jist of how it works) would be stellar for me.
    Well, according to the Treocentral article, the answer is yes:

The goal of this development effort is to create a BlackBerry connectivity solution for Palm OS licensees in the second half of 2004. This solution will be designed to provide Palm OS licensees the ability to connect their Palm Powered wireless handhelds and smartphones to BlackBerry Enterprise Server using the same secure push-based wireless architecture and infrastructure that currently supports thousands of companies and government organizations.

The BlackBerry Connect solution for Palm OS will also support BlackBerry Web Client, a wireless Internet email service for individuals and small business that does not require server software
    Seems like a yes to me? Anway, here's some other articles on the subject as well as one regarding the shortly possible deploeyment by Sprint:

RIM and PalmSource to Bring BlackBerry Software to the Palm OS

Sprint to Deploy RIM Software for the Treo 600
    Last edited by Gaurav; 05/04/2004 at 04:42 PM.

Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Ahh, the catch. There will, I am sure, be an additional licensing fee. Getting them to pay that around here will be about as likely as getting a 500% raise this year. Well, perhaps I can convince someone else to get a Treo so I don't have to pitch it alone, anyway.

Thanks for the info! Much appreciated. And, though the great meltdown of information was terrible, at least it didn't take away your avatar....
    I use a yahoo acount, you could forward your email there.

Within Yahoo, you can set up a filter to send you all new messages via sms. Good if you've got unlimited sms (Sprint). Then just check the SMS to see who it's from and have snapper do an autofetch. I tried TreoHelper, seemed ok too to set up the autofetch in snapper. To each his own! I use chatter just for IM, CallShield for ringers and to supress SMS popups (stealth!) and LEDs, and Treobutler for general alerts and VoiceMail LED
    Christo

"it's not the quantity, but the quality"

There are NO Limits
  12.    #12  
    Christo,

On what series of Treo? Only 600???
    Business Connection from Sprint is another solution - It's not a real-time push but utilizes a triggerred pull mechanism for corp email via an SMS trigger. If you need your new mail in less than 8-15 minutes then the other solutions that are IP based may be better for you. Just beware that the IP based solutions have a tendency to take over the device and your incoming calls will get diverted to voice mail.

If you need a client that supports multiple accounts (POP / IMAP / Domino / Exchange) with connectors that are Web based or via the Desktop Connector (a redirector like solution) then BC may work for you. Features vary upon which connector path you choose.

Each of these solutions listed in these posts has their advantages and disadvantages. It's a tradeoff of what you really need out of the email client overall that may sway your decision.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spicy
    Christo,

On what series of Treo? Only 600???
    You can get SMS-triggerred pull via Treohelper on both the Treo600 and Treo300. Also, I believe Sprint's BC is also available on both handsets. However Goodlink and Chatter are only Treo600 compatible...

I personally use Treohelper and it works great with snappermail!

Why don't you fellas use Aileron for Pop/IMAP? It supports all Treo devices.
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    You can get SMS-triggerred pull via Treohelper on both the Treo600 and Treo300. Also, I believe Sprint's BC is also available on both handsets. However Goodlink and Chatter are only Treo600 compatible...

I personally use Treohelper and it works great with snappermail!

How do you set it up? I have tried with different texts and do not work? Also do I need any special set up in Snapper mail? It seems a really interesting idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by fonetti
    How do you set it up? I have tried with different texts and do not work? Also do I need any special set up in Snapper mail? It seems a really interesting idea.

Go to the SMS setting in Trehelper and set one or mutiple of the 8 sms triggers. For example for my sprintpcs mail, the trigger is "sprintpcs". Then set launch > snappermail, delay launch until sleep, vibrate checked, delete checked. Note you should make sure your triggers work before you check the delete option imo...Works like a charm...

You also need to check "Allow one button send and fetch" in SnapperMail. Its in the Manual Delivery Prefs menu.
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, 1989
    Global Posts
    907 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirdType
    You also need to check "Allow one button send and fetch" in SnapperMail. Its in the Manual Delivery Prefs menu.
    Does this work in the latest snappermail beta? I don't see the "allow one button send & fetch" option anymore. Does the "hard button fetches mail" replace" option replace the one button fetches mail feature? Sorry for the confusion.
    It works with the new Snappermail beta. The trigger I use is "mail." Both of 'em work. Ben
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast