Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi, I just released version 0.8 of Profeo 600 Lite - a simple "profile" manager for Treo 600. I have seen several other profile managers on these pages and perhaps most of them provide more functions than Profeo 600 Lite. Which is one of the reasons I wrote it - I needed something, which is realy simple to configure and use. :-) The application currently controls only the display brightness, the keyboard backlight and the radio state. It has 4 profiles that can be independently set and switched automatically (scheduled). In the next release, which will be available in a few days, I will introduce hotkey to dyncamically override the scheduled profile and perhaps volume control options (for now I don't intend to actualy change ringtones, etc.)

Profeo 600 Lite and instructions about it are available at:
    http://www.freewebs.com/nachon/treo600software.htm

I would appreciate all feedback on the current beta release, in particular the ease of use, the realiability and what additional features would you like to see, keeping in mind that I want to keep the application very easy to use.
    Great app you got there, nachon. Love the scheduling feature. However, I can't get the radio control to work. Whenever I set it to "OFF" and hit OK, it goes back to "ON" when I check back. Am I doing something wrong?

Looking forward to seeing the next version with volume control. Keep up the great work.
  3.    #3  
    sorry, my bad. had '==' instead of '=' in the code, when saving the radio off selection. thanks for the bug report, you can go and download the fixed program. :-)
    Thanks, nachon!! I'm at work right now, but I'll definitely test out the new version tonight.
    nachon, I'm glad you're working on this. I've testing it now. One feature I would REALLY like is the ability to turn off the speaker at pre-scheduled times and days(and then back on!). I attend committee meetings three times a week, and have to remind myself to shut off the speaker, then half way through the day, I realize I've forgotten to turn it back on. Could this be worked into your app? Thanks!
  6.    #6  
    HeinePaul, this feature will be added in one of the next releases. I intentionally limited the controls to radio and light for now, to make sure that the application core (scheduling, hotkey, profile overriding, etc.) is stable, but adding control of the sound volume is the next logical step. Just wait for 7-10 days, hopefully. :-)

FYI, at the moment I am adding/testing the hotkey functionality to allow profiles to be overriden, I will release it when I think it is relatively stable - perhaps in a day or two.
  7.    #7  
    I just released Profeo 600 Lite 0.8.3. In addition to the scheduling of profiles for the radio and light states for different times of the day, this version has also partialy enabled hotkey (opt+display on) functionality, which will be completed tomorrow (I hope). At the moment the hotkey can only show which is the current profile, which is the next scheduled profile and for when, option to edit the current profile (the changes are not applied automatically yet) and option to shut down Profeo 600 from the hotkey form.
    The hotkey can not override the current profile yet (the user interface for this is present on the hotkey form, but the functionality is disabled until I test it). Updated instructions are provided on my web site:
    http://www.freewebs.com/nachon/treo600software.htm

I am attaching the .prc file below. Please enjoy it and send me your feedback. :-)
    Last edited by nachon; 06/18/2004 at 02:49 AM.
    nachon,

quick question. i stopped using treoallegro, because it wasn't switching from day/night modes if the phone was off at the switch time. you would have to actually go to the app, then exit for the change to take effect. does your app have this same issue?

thanks.
    Usual Suspects Entertainment
    We make the crowd move.
    www.djnyce.com
  9.    #9  
    franknitty69, Profeo 600 Lite doesn't have this problem - it automatically switches the mode (light and radio) at the specified times. Actualy I started writing Profeo after I saw that Allegro was left unfinished, so I decided to try my hands at providing similar application. There are some things that Profeo doesn't do yet, but I am working on it every day (or should I say night :-). I will release an updated version tonight (around 12am EST), which is somewhat smaller and hopefully will have full profile override supprot through a hotkey.
    nachon, I think you have a nice utility in the works, but there is a bug I'd like to report whihc kind of goes against the very basics of this utility. The problem is that the Kepad lights keep flashing randomly, which other than being an iirritant and very disconcerting, is also a drain on the battery I am sure. By the way I am currently using v 0.8.1
  11.    #11  
    hey Sanjay, thanks for using Profeo and for the feedback :-). I have also noticed this behavior and I will start working on a solution soon - today I am finishing the hotkey functionality, so fixing such leftover annoyances will be next.

I would't expect that this "feature" will drain the battery too much, it happens for less than a second occasionally, but I definitely agree that it is annoying. According to my observations, it happens only for a few times when your Treo is connected/disconnected from the charger - did you observe the same behavior or does it happen more often to you ?
    In my experience this has nothing to do with being connected/disconnected from the charger, the keypad light just flashes randomly. The number of times and duration in between is also quite random it seems.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay
    nachon, I think you have a nice utility in the works, but there is a bug I'd like to report whihc kind of goes against the very basics of this utility. The problem is that the Kepad lights keep flashing randomly, which other than being an iirritant and very disconcerting, is also a drain on the battery I am sure. By the way I am currently using v 0.8.1
    Thanks Sanjay for helping me out. I've been seeing this same exact problem happening to me in the past few days and didn't know what was causing it. Had to use my external battery because my Treo's internal battery has been dying too fast lately.

Looking forward to seeing this problem fixed, nachon!
  14.    #14  
    I think I have fixed it, I will test it some more time and post it with the next update - v0.8.4. It was related to the way REM sleep works. After a lot of experiments, I have the impression that Treo stays a lot of time in REM sleep and the notifications, which I used for light controls were being generated even though the device seems to be off.
    Natcho,

Hey, great job on your profile s/w. Looking forward to v0.8.4, with fix for the intermittent flashing keypad and battery drain.

regards,

-Ade-
    -- "In the country of the blind, the one-eyed man is king" --
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nachon
    Hi, I just released version 0.8 of Profeo 600 Lite - a simple "profile" manager for Treo 600. I have seen several other profile managers on these pages and perhaps most of them provide more functions than Profeo 600 Lite. Which is one of the reasons I wrote it - I needed something, which is realy simple to configure and use. :-)
    I love the simplicity of this application. Well, relative simplicity -- I know how difficult profile management can be to implement on this device.

I have some input for you. I've found that a lot of Treo 600 users are particular about 5-way navigation support, and for good reason. On the Day form, the focus should probably start at the top of the screen on the 'Enable' checkbox, rather than on the OK button as it does now. Also, the Day/Night pushbuttons don't have intuitive navigation order -- it goes 'Day, Autodim, Night, Keylight' and should probably be 'Day, Night, Autodim, Keylight'.

The same is true for the Evening, Night, and Overnight forms. I've found the easiest way to enforce the navigation order is by the NAVIGATIONMAP token in PilRC. It's a small change that has a drastic effect for some users!

Take it easy,
    -Jeff Ishaq
    Palm OSŪ Certified Developer
  17.    #17  
    Jeff, thanks for the input and thank you for answering some of my newbie questions in the palmone pluggedin forums :-). My original idea was to make an application, which is on the borderline of being as simple as possible and yet useful. The current functionality is driven mainly by my own needs and some input from people on these forums. As for the programming simplicity - PalmOS is proving to be a small nightmare and I have "only" 15 years of experience with who knows how many languages, environments, OSes, etc.

I agree with your remarks about the 5way support, my problem is that I have not figured out how to create custom navigation map in PalmOS Developer Suite 0.1.1, which I am using. The resource editor they provide is XML based and seems to have completely different format from PilRC. Thus, I will add this to the list of things to do when I get some free time. :-)

BTW, I want to wish you all the best with your wife-to-be :-) and tons of happiness and luck ! :-)
  18.    #18  
    now back to Profeo, below is attached v0.8.4. In this realease, the good news is that after 4-5 hours of tracking when and in what sequence are the PalmOS events generated, the keyboard blinking bug is "supposedly" fixed. The bad news is that because of this I couldn't finish the hotkey form. The file size is 1-2kb smaller, because of some code optimization and I also fixed several bugs related to the Radio control, e.g., Profeo always wanted to have the radio in the state, which is specified by the current profile, so if you turn the radio manualy off, Profeo will turn it on again the next time when you turn on the screen. This has been fixed and at the moment the Radio state should be adjusted only when a new profile is activated.

Attached is the new .prc file. Please enjoy it and send me your suggestions on treosd@yahoo.com
    Last edited by nachon; 06/18/2004 at 02:50 AM.
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nachon
    Attached is the new .prc file.
    FYI: I use ZLauncher skins and Profeo Lite does not show up anywhere on my Treo's desktop. However if I exit out of ZLauncher and return to the Treo's default launcher, I see Profeo Lite under the Utilities category right where it belongs.
  20.    #20  
    hmmm, this is strange. I just installed ZLauncher 4.10 on my Treo and I can see Profeo in the Utilities folder without doing anything special. May be you should try the "refresh apps" command from ZLauncher and see if it will have any effect.

Following Jeff Ishaq's suggestion, I had another look at the 5way navigation API and I implemented the navigation order he suggested. Good that Profeo's forms are simple, so I could easily adjust it with 2-3 function calls. :-)
    The next release of Profeo will probably be over the weekend. Meanwhile I would appreciate all feedback.
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast