Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TechDude
    The speeds sounded hard to believe so I wanted to downloaded it and see if iut was going through a proxy server or what, but it doesn't seem to work at all on mine. I downloaded the latest Java Environment and the latest PalmOne WebViewer app and it says "Unexpected server response: 411 Length Required; null" anytime I try to browse. Any ideas?

--TechDude
    Switch from port 80 to 8080 or vice versa in adv. prefs. Can't remember which and sorry but....

this has been asked more than just about any other question I've seen on TC. A search would have found the answer many times over
    techdude, you will find that for the most part, you will get speeds ranging from 175 - 325. at peak times, webviewer will crank it up to 390 kbits or so, and when it does, youll be amazed. but it seems to average 265 kbits/secmost days.
    port 80 is the setting you need. it should work fine.
    did ya fire it up yet, techdude? id be curious to hear what your experience with it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214
    techdude, you will find that for the most part, you will get speeds ranging from 175 - 325. at peak times, webviewer will crank it up to 390 kbits or so, and when it does, youll be amazed. but it seems to average 265 kbits/secmost days.
    port 80 is the setting you need. it should work fine.
    ReqWireless WebViewer does use a proxy server. So, I suspect that the speed being reported is actually from the proxy server, not your browser/phone. (See the "Key Advantages" section of this page on their site for more info.)

Evidence of this is in the fact that the DSLreports page usually shows numbers gradually appearing on the page as you load it up in Blazer or an other browser not using a proxy server. This is because there is extra data being transmitted with those numbers.

When you view the same page through WebViewer, it looks like the proxy server strips the extra data away and sends the page to you with only the text. Which is a considerably smaller amount of data and hence a much faster transfer. Then, as a result of the faster transfer by the proxy server, you click the "Click now!" link a LOT faster than any one else ever would be able to when actually receiving the full page of data.

As for what I think of the browser. Speed is great. And if it had a few more features to help the speed out I might purchase it so that I could use it for everyday browsing and use WebPro and Blazer for special situations.

The features I still miss from WebViewer (other than the previously mentioned fle downloads) are:

1. A scroll bar to indicate your position on the page.
    2. Back and forward buttons in addition to the reload button.
    3. More precise rendering of pages. The proxy server seems to move things around too much and makes buttons, that are normally large and easy to click/see, no more than a box around a normal link.
    4. A more graphical interface. Links are highlighted in by an inverse text selection? I haven't seen that since the old UNIX days.

I'll try it again when some of the features have been added. As for now, even if it were free it wouldn't be worth the 1.8 MB that Java takes up on my Treo.

Forgive me for getting side tracked here, but this is just a pet peave of mine.

Does anyone else hate getting referred to the search engine for an answer? Especially when the person referring you is not a part of thread to begin with. Sometimes I think the forum employs "stupid question police" that browse the forums for frequent offenders.

After all, if it were so easy to find the answer, why not just post a link? (Like reqwireless did for example. Thank you.)

--TechDude
    well, interesting response. i ve been testing webpro out and found that when browsing those native web sites in the home page, the speed is very good.

BUT, if you type in your own site, say, treo.treocentral.com, web pro takes forever to finish formatting the page. webviewer jumbles the page up? hmm... i dont see that.
    web pro messes up the treo discussion page pretty noticeably, while webviewer zips it to you nicely.

while i agree it could use a better graphical interface and a scrolling bar, these can be overlooked when you consider the speed it gives you.
    web pro does have a nicer interface. home page is very good. and speed with the sites provided in the home page is snappy, but if you want to view a different site, you wait a long time as it renders the page.

interesting. whatever site i choose to visit is rendered very fast on webviewer. that makes it worth the 1.8 mb memory.

web pro -good graphics with good speed on home sites but poor speed otherwise.
    check that. i wouldnt say poor speed, rather a little less responsive, maybe.

the web page graphics are MUCH better on webpro - i can see what you mean now, before i wasnt sure.

hell, both are good. differences in both, but overall good browsers. need improvement in places but great programs!
    Quote Originally Posted by robguz24
    Here's my problem with WebPro. I can't set it as my default browser in the General Preferences window. In snappermail, with it set as my browser, when I click a link it says I am not authorized to use WebPro even though I have paid and registered and it says that at no other time. Anyone else have this problem? Palm refuses to provide tech support on this and told me to call Sprint which makes no sense whatsoever since their reps will not know about WebPro or Snapper Mail. Might as well call sprint when my toaster stops working.
    same EXACT thing happened to me....solution:

Hard reset...reinstall apps...now I do not get the "you are not authorized to use this application" AND I can now set WebPro 3.0 as my default browser in may preferences.
    ...web pro messes up the treo discussion page pretty noticeably, while webviewer zips it to you nicely.
    Yeah, I know WebPro messes up pages a little too. As will any applicatio that tries to fit an 800x600 page onto a 160x160 screen. But at least WebPro has the option of NOT trying to fit it to the small screen and letting you view the page at its original size. It means you have to scroll around a lot, but many times this makes it easier to find things on a fmailiar site. As for WebViewer, you're stuck with the jumbled view.

...but if you want to view a different site, you wait a long time as it renders the page.
    If you use WebPro 3.0a you can tell it to use a proxy server and you might see speeds similar to WebViewer. They still won't be as fast because WebPro is still going to do more work on the page before handing it to you than WebViewer does. By the way, the hacked version of 3.5 does not have a proxy server setting yet. (I wonder if he ever got that hacked.... hmmm.)

--TechDude
    he did (I had it at some stage). I ended up uninstalling since 5-way support in WebPro seems pretty bad. You can't use the center button the D-pad to activate a link which is pretty important IMO. I seem to recall you could to this with 3.0.1c but have never been able to find that version anywhere.
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Quote Originally Posted by TechDude
    Yeah, I know WebPro messes up pages a little too. As will any applicatio that tries to fit an 800x600 page onto a 160x160 screen. But at least WebPro has the option of NOT trying to fit it to the small screen and letting you view the page at its original size. It means you have to scroll around a lot, but many times this makes it easier to find things on a fmailiar site. As for WebViewer, you're stuck with the jumbled view.

If you use WebPro 3.0a you can tell it to use a proxy server and you might see speeds similar to WebViewer. They still won't be as fast because WebPro is still going to do more work on the page before handing it to you than WebViewer does. By the way, the hacked version of 3.5 does not have a proxy server setting yet. (I wonder if he ever got that hacked.... hmmm.)

--TechDude
    like the other poster noted, there is NO d-pad support on the webpro. another area where webviewer has an edge on webpro, particularly if you are on the go and having to use the stylus is a pain or a distraction. conveniences such as these are what make webviewer the attractive choice, in my opinion

you know, you will be hard pressed to find any mobile browser that will produce desktop-like results at this stage in the game. if you desire full graphical displays, thats why you have a desktop pc. but if you want access to web sites wirelessly you will want good speed with decent rendering - and so if you compromise a bit on rendering, well, you can check back at your pc later in the day. but on the run, you want to get to the basics fast, you dont necessarily need all the the extra display if all that will do is hold you up waiting. thats a drawback, and unnecessary if you are on a mobile phone.
    webviewer gets you the data and it does it consistently fast. it does the job. i can always appreciate the full graphical displays at home or at work at the desktop.
    Last edited by treobk214; 07/30/2004 at 11:11 AM.
    like the other poster noted, there is NO d-pad support on the webpro.
    (Shrug) My D-Pad works fine. I can scroll up and down and left and right. I can start scrolling through the links instead of one page at a time by pressing the center button on the D-Pad. Then to get to follow a link I can use the enter key on the keyboard. Though I do admit that the enter key is a bit of a pain to reach for with one hand. (If you're using your right hand anyway.)

I think WebViewer is a great application for a phone. But the Treo has more resources available to it than most phones do, so I think it can do better. I don't think WebPro or Blazer is the final answer either, I'm just waiting to see what's next. For now WebPro is my browser of choice. But as they say on TV, results may vary. Just depends on what's more important to you.

But anyway, I think we've debated all the debatable issues for this one. I just don't like using proxy servers. If you do like the speed of a proxy server, then apparently you could use a proxy server with WebPro and have the best of both worlds. I'll have to see if I can find the next hacked version of 3.5 that has the proxy enabled so that I can verify that it would be as fast as I suspect.

--TechDude
    I agree Tech dude. 2 major problems I had with webViewer:

1. They need a slicker distribution method. To go to a 3rd party website and get a download, then combine a .jar and .jad file , or is it one of them ?? NOT conducive for widespread sales. May be OK for techno geeks, but too many steps and bugs for the masses of Treo owners that just want to download and install. Over the last 6 months I have seen many posts from confused installers.

suggestion to reqwireless: Good product, but put the $$ into better download support.

2. No javascript support. Probably 50% of the sites I use need javascript.

I like the more professional graphic interface, and much better installation design and support.

Coming from Blazer, the speed is fine. I don't split milliseconds.
    fair enough, everybody. ok, thats enough browser-speak for me, too. as was said before and i have to agree, why split hairs over milliseconds. lol. moving on now.
    Last edited by treobk214; 07/30/2004 at 02:20 PM.
    by the way, thanks for the feedback, techdude
    Can someone send me a copy of the patched WebPro 3.5? Thanks....

webmailaccount@wideopenwest.com
    Quote Originally Posted by taximan
    I agree Tech dude. 2 major problems I had with webViewer:

1. They need a slicker distribution method. To go to a 3rd party website and get a download, then combine a .jar and .jad file , or is it one of them ?? NOT conducive for widespread sales. May be OK for techno geeks, but too many steps and bugs for the masses of Treo owners that just want to download and install. Over the last 6 months I have seen many posts from confused installers.

suggestion to reqwireless: Good product, but put the $$ into better download support.
    Not true anymore. I just bought it and they have a .prc file to download for PalmOS users. Just follow the directions for PalmOS user downloads.

Quote Originally Posted by taximan
    2. No javascript support. Probably 50% of the sites I use need javascript.

I like the more professional graphic interface, and much better installation design and support.

Coming from Blazer, the speed is fine. I don't split milliseconds.
    They announced they are working on javascript and when completed it will be a free upgrade. That was all I needed to hear to pull the credit card out.

And BTW, I don't know what you guys are possibly using to time WebPro - or if you are using it on some device other than a Treo 600 - but on the Treo 600 it is OUT OF HAND control slow. MUCH MUCH slower than Blazer as indicated by my tests. And BTW, Blazer also draws text first before graphics. It puts little placeholder graphics that look like a sunrise in places where graphics will be drawn, then draws text, and then comes back and replaces the placeholders with the downloaded images when done. I am also assuming you are talking about Blazer on the Treo 600 and not some other unit. The reason that Palm probably won't sell 3.5 for the Treo 600 is because they realize how many people would complain when they found that they bought a browser that was slower than the free Blazer one included on the Treo.

And WebPro is MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH slower than Reqwireless Webviewer. I can't stress enough that if you want to upgrade your browser for the intention of speeding up web browsing - either buy Req WebViewer - or save your money and stick with Blazer. Don't waste your money on WebPro.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    im wth ya bobcat
    Quote Originally Posted by rjmoose
    same EXACT thing happened to me....solution:

Hard reset...reinstall apps...now I do not get the "you are not authorized to use this application" AND I can now set WebPro 3.0 as my default browser in may preferences.
    Thanks! Maybe I'll try it someday. I wonder if I can just restore from a card backup? Probably not. I don't think I'm brave enough to try restoring from a hotsync for fear of data loss. Or are you saying don't even restore and just reinstall everything from scratch? Ouch! No thanks.
    Just to clarify, you now download ReqWireless WebViewer as a PRC for PalmOS but you still have to load JAVA VM first. And IMO, in terms of speed, WebViewer makes the web browsing experience comparable to that of a PC with 56K modem. And when you hit a back key, it goes to the previous page instantly - no redraw clock to gawk at. This is what I had hoped for when I got my 600. Thanks to Treobk for confirming to me that I am not alone on this. The first time I used WebPro I wasn't sure if my connection had dropped because it was so sloooow. I felt like it was taunting me with its slooowness. I was SO happy when I deleted it yesterday.
    Last edited by Bob-C; 07/30/2004 at 05:35 PM.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast