Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have had my T6 for 6 months, and now am encountering short battery life (30-60 minutes of phone time per charge) and phone reception problems, with frequent "NetworkSearch" even if i have 1-2 bars of signal. I have seen previous posts talking about returning it under warranty for a new one.
    1. I bought it at Fry's Electronics, so do I return it there, or go to a Sprint store?
    2. Do I demand a new unit, or let them give me a reconditioned one, or even send mine in for "repairs"?
    3. Do I bring back the entire box and all the paraphenalia that came with it, or just bring them the T6?
    Thanks in advance for the advice, I love my T6 and don't want to be without it for long!
    Quote Originally Posted by BS Mann
    I have had my T6 for 6 months, and now am encountering short battery life (30-60 minutes of phone time per charge) and phone reception problems, with frequent "NetworkSearch" even if i have 1-2 bars of signal. I have seen previous posts talking about returning it under warranty for a new one.
    1. I bought it at Fry's Electronics, so do I return it there, or go to a Sprint store?
    2. Do I demand a new unit, or let them give me a reconditioned one, or even send mine in for "repairs"?
    3. Do I bring back the entire box and all the paraphenalia that came with it, or just bring them the T6?
    Thanks in advance for the advice, I love my T6 and don't want to be without it for long!
    1)It's probably too long after purchase to return it to Fry's. But the t600 has a year warranty, so you can go to your sprint store and they will replace it. The network search problem is hardware related, and will only get worse with time. (It will finally get to the point where you'll only be able to use it plugged in, so replace it now).

2)you'll almost certainly get a refurb, which isn't a bad thing, neccessarily ( I just got my replacement early this week-looks good as new); if you woof and tweet enough you could perhaps get a credit of some sort on your account, but that's for you to decide if you want to do that.

3)Just take your phone along with your receipt from fry's, as Sprint will want to ensure it was a retail product, and not a demo from P1. Sprint will only give you a phone so keep the extras at home; it's not as though it came with alot anyway in the way of accessories.

Hope this helps, good luck.

Cheers,

D
    "Think. It's Patriotic."
    I just did this with my wife's about 1 week ago. We bought ours originally from Handspring.

I took hers into the store and told them i was having hardware problems: network search error for about a week and i needed to get it replaced. Tell them u want the same phone. Took the rep a few minutes to understand what i was talking about (not sure if she ever did) and she ordered a refurbed phone. Q's she asked me were "how long u had it?" and she inspected it for damage, luckily my wife babies hers. Mine's a wreck, cracks all over from me dropping it but it works like new (i've actually dropped it, well threw it on accident, that it cracked the top of case and made my sound switch on top get stuck and my led light not work, but i fixed it by unscrewing the case and reseting it. works like a dream again. anyways, they let me keep hers and called me when the refurb came in. took about three business days. But u do need to take it in soon, as far as i know its a hardware problem and u need to exchange it, don't take the chance of dropping it or breaking it on your own before you get the exchange ordered.

Oh yeah, even though u bought it at fry's (if ur in dallas area, i took mine to the sprint store in Rockwall on I-30 and they exchanged it no probs), u must return it to sprint, they handle all warranties. good luck. oh yeah remain calm, don't get nasty unless u have too. CSRs are always more likely to work with u if your polite, yet firm.
    I don't know how this happened to me, because usually things don't go this way for me, but I took my 600 with the network search problem to the Sprint Store in Woodland Hills CA and within 15 minutes I waled out of the store with a BRAND NEW T600 complete with a second set of accessories...the whole thing! The one that experienced the network search problem was a refurb unit as my original phone had the rattling screw problem.

My only gripe is the brand new phone (branded Palm One) has a blue tint on the screen whenever I move it slighly from the direct viewing angle.

Good luck with yours!
    yeah I'm on my 5th Treo with network search problem. seems to still be there. I give up.
    I have been having the infamous network search problem and on Friday decided to go to the Sprint store. Of course the closer I got to the store the more the T600 started acting normally. Was not looking good.

Walked into the store and the first surprise was NO QUEUE. That's amazing, never seen that before, but who I am to argue ? Walk up to the lady and tell her I have been having problems with the phone, lots of network searches and basically finding it hard to receive and make calls. She looks at a piece of paper and says "Ok, we'll order you a new one, will take 3-4 days and we'll call you when it comes into the store". So, who am I to argue ? They didn't even check the phone. Hoping the new/refurb one works fine.
    > ...She looks at a piece of paper and says "Ok, we'll order you
    > a new one, will take 3-4 days and we'll call you when it comes
    > into the store". So, who am I to argue ? They didn't even check
    > the phone...

Though bstrauss won't accept it as valid, this is Yet Another Datapoint about the outrageous failure rate of the TREO 600 - businesses don't accept returns so easily unless there's a reason for it. PalmOne eventually will have to acknowledge it.
    I bought my Treo 600 from someone on e-bay. It always had the speakerphone echo problem. Within 4 months the buzzing/reception problem began. Now it is at the point where I can't hold a normal conversation.

I called Palm, they said the serial was from Orange France. I called Orange France, they said I must have the SIM number that goes with the phone. Obviously, I don't have such a thing.

The manufacturer's warranty should cover the hardware no matter where I bought the device.

Does anyone have any idea how I can get my Treo replaced or repaired?

Thanks...
    I have AT&T. They refuse to help me with my T600 problems. I'm waiting for my 3rd replacement. The shipments are always delayed and the "customer care" is a total joke. AT&T offered to credit me for 1 month of service, but then demanded that I extend my contract by 4 months!! I've been without a useful phone since February. Palm has a real problem with this phone. They should acknowledge it and take care of their customers. They may have a lock on this right now, but we will not forget their lousy service when the competition starts knocking. Same with AT&T. No wonder they are losing so many customers.
    Quote Originally Posted by SeldomVisitor
    > the phone...

Though bstrauss won't accept it as valid, this is Yet Another Datapoint about the outrageous failure rate of the TREO 600 - businesses don't accept returns so easily unless there's a reason for it. PalmOne eventually will have to acknowledge it.
    When she looked at the paper as she said they would order a replacement I asked her if this was a common problem then (since no big fuss and no checking of my phone) and she stated no, but why would I lie about the problems I am having ! So, no idea but at least it was a good response :-) either way and I will hopefully be happy come Friday when I have my new T600.
    hmm - I started a thread in the Sprint forum about some recent Vision connection and Network Search problems I've been having in my area (Dallas). My thinking was that it's a network issue...maybe not though.
    Quote Originally Posted by nrosser
    hmm - I started a thread in the Sprint forum about some recent Vision connection and Network Search problems I've been having in my area (Dallas). My thinking was that it's a network issue...maybe not though.

The "network search" issue is a known potential hardware issue that has to deal with incorrect voltages and the battery. It was fixed in production but alot of phones went through before they caught it. That's why SPCS c/s is so cool when you come in and say "My phone says "network search" while it has signal strength and won't complete a call..." they know about it. Unfortunately (for non Sprint PCS t600 owners), Sprint was/is alot more involved in the development of the key features in the phone than any of the GSM carriers, especially the overseas carriers. They have been alot more reasonable with replacement issues because they discovered the failure in the first place. Thankfully this is the type of failure that happens within months, if not weeks of using the phone, so all of these units should be ferreted out before the end of the one year warranty. If it hasn't failed after 6-7 months, then it probably* won't (*=as always your mileage may vary).

For Kikiturbo, I'm thinking that you're S.O.L since you're probably not the original owner. If you have insurance (and a receipt of purchase) I'd suggest losing it. If not, then I'd run it hard until the next treo comes out in the fall and then use it for target practice. Good luck.

Cheers,

D
    "Think. It's Patriotic."
    Quote Originally Posted by SeldomVisitor
    > the phone...

No, they won't. They leave it to the individual carriers to handle it (layers of deniability), and then catch hell in the meeting rooms. They did repair the the network search hardware issue in mid production, but only after Sprint dug deep into their behind about the issue. All phones that came out before the fix are then going through each individual carrier's warranty replacement system as they fail. I know this sucks, but this is the way that they have decided to do it. Palmone is all about saving and making $$$ They really don't care about you, the consumer-at least past you being enamored enough with a product to plunk down $600 to buy it. They, like every other publicly traded company is principally beholden to their shareholders and how much money they clear annually. You have helped their stock price by buying the t600; If you're that mad about their business practices then you have two choices: sell their stock (like I did when they were still Handspring and still a fairly decent company-oh yeah and when their stock was worth more) or don't buy their product. Palm1 has been on a gravytrain ride since everyone has fawned all over the t600 (often regardless of Q/C issues). This time last year their stock was worth $6.60. Now it's worth $15.96. The good news is that people are starting to get pissed about Q/C issues and their stock has dropped from $25.25 less than a month ago (http://quote.bloomberg.com/apps/quote?ticker=PLMO:US). The only way you can get a company in this day to "do the right thing" is to make it about money. Either buy enough of the stock so you can work from the inside out (which isn't easy, as one can become consumed by the stock price) or don't buy their product, contribute to the drop in sales and eventual stock price and make it so it's worth the effort on their part to put out a quality product-and support it.

Cheers,

D
    "Think. It's Patriotic."
    Quote Originally Posted by BS Mann
    For what it's worth, I had the EXACT same problem. Definitely a hardware issue and not a network issue. I called Sprint CS and they sent out a brand new PalmOne branded phone without any questions asked. The first time my Treo 600 was replaced (due to a earpiece malfunction), I went into a Sprint store and was sent a refurbished unit. So I'd recommend calling Sprint CS and requesting a replacement. By the way, my new PalmOne branded Treo is MUCH MORE STABLE than either of my other two Treos. I have had it for a month without one soft reset. They've obviously made a change in the manufacturing and / or components since the original Treo was launched - or I've just gotten real lucky.
    I must be crazy for I have had the network search prob for a day and it seemingly went away. This is my original phone and when I went to the sprint store, they did the secret test and told me my phone was defective. That they would order me a new one in two days. I didn't experience anymore probs. and didn't go back there to pick up the "new" one. Call me nuts but the rep told me that they replace new with new and refurb with refurb. so why is everyone accepting refurbs? Not suggesting that refurbs are any worse since they are tested unlike new ones: but you should get a brand spanking new fresh out the box treo when something goes wrong.
    Oh well, I'll just open my baby up void the warranty and perform surgery on her if need be. So far no probs for more than a month. My speaker went out on me and when I went to reset it, it came back on. I am experiencing an earpiece pop when I plug a jack in thereby not getting a good unbroken sound, all of a sudden. I may just turn it in for a replacement. Who knows what tomorrow will bring. Life lived on the brink is just thrilling...As long as it does not affect my commerce game, I'm good. For if it did all hell would break loose.
    quote:
    The "network search" issue is a known potential hardware issue that has to deal with incorrect voltages and the battery. It was fixed in production but alot of phones went through before they caught it.
    end quote

I've had mine since the very beginning and had no issues at all. Is the point that this battery/network search issue is one that starts to show up over time, perhaps as the battery starts to fluctuate and deliver funky voltage settings to the phone?
    I'm not totally sure I buy that - but I'm certainly no device engineer - and the fact that treo600kings had his problem go away on its own leads me to think that maybe MY specific problem this time is indeed a network issue. But who knows. I'll give it another one or days and see what happens. Guess a new phone might be in the offing for me.
    Last edited by nrosser; 05/03/2004 at 03:03 PM. Reason: typo
  18.    #18  
    Update: I brought my phone in to the Sprint store in San Leandro CA. Told them the problem. They hadnt heard of it before. They ran some tests for 20 minutes, and said the phone failed the hp test, and there was a problem with the RF generator. They ordered me a new phone, and are letting me use the old one until the new one arrives. No complaints so far!
    [QUOTE=nrosser]quote:
    The "network search" issue is a known potential hardware issue that has to deal with incorrect voltages and the battery. It was fixed in production but alot of phones went through before they caught it.
    end quote

I've had mine since the very beginning and had no issues at all. Is the point that this battery/network search issue is one that starts to show up over time, perhaps as the battery starts to fluctuate and deliver funky voltage settings to the phone?

Basically its about impedance. On defective phones it has been shown by folks in Sprint that the connection between the battery and the phone chip isn't receiving the correct voltage while on battery power (there is a different power route while on AC). Over time this will cause a failure. It will start intermittently and will get progressively worse until eventual failure. If you're seeing the "network search" indicator in the upper left part of the screen while you are showing signal strength in the upper right you have this problem and it will eventually get worse. If you don't see signal strength then its a network problem, or coverage issue.

D
    "Think. It's Patriotic."
    gotcha - this confirms one thing I'm noticing - namely that the data connection stays more solid when the unit is on its cradle, than when I'm flying solo.
    In fact, a little earlier, I noticed that right after I took the 600 off the cradle, that it lost the data connection, and started the connecting/canceling cycle, which lasts about 15 minutes and renders the phone essentially useless during that whole time.
    I'm actually seeing this problem manifesting itself, in my case, more on the data side, with the connecting/canceling cycle as stated above, than with the network search problem. Out of 20 overall data drops, I'll see the Network Search thing maybe two or three times.
    On my way to a Sprint store tomorrow.....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast