Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Had enough of poor quality and worse customer service. When the replacement arrives, I'm selling it on ebay.

Problem is, I am hooked on the 600's features. What else is there similar?
    Before you throw in the towel, can you list your problems here and let's see if they can be handled through the forum?

Once you have the right mix of hardware and software, I truly believe that there is nothing on the market that comes close to the 600's features and quality.

Give it another shot. If you still are unsatisfied, then I can understand you switching to something else.

PalmLover
    GSM or CDMA?
    that's great. except, you might not get better reception from another service provider.

it used to be that verizon was much better than sprint, but they are all very close currently.

I understand your frustration, but don't give up a state of the art smartphone before considering all the possibilities first.
  5.    #5  
    OK, here goes:

It is a GSM phone with T-Mobile Service, firmware 02.02. I absolutely LOVE T-MO, and when the 600 is working, it's a terrific phone.

1. The ear speaker has quit, I have to use hands free or a headset
    2. Suffers from a horrible deafening squeal on answer
    3. Locks up frequently, at least once a day I have to reset it.
    4. Big yellow splotch in the display.
    5. Echo on receiving end of calls.

On 4/23 I called and was told they'd send me an advance replacement, estimated at 4/29 ship date. On 4/29 I checked and the replacement was bumped to 5/9.

Calls to the non-literate and non-english speaking tech support have not helped at all. They denied any knowledge of a later firmware than 2.02.

Two faxes to Mr. Ken Wirt, PalmOne Senior VP and GM of the Handheld Business Unit have been ignored.

I am done.
    Let me see if I can address this. Firstly, I assume you are dealing with the device as is, with no 3rd party software, hacks etc..other than what came on the device and on the CD.

1) If the ear speaker quit then it is definitely a hardware problem and could be related to #2. Perhaps the squealing upon answering was related to the earpiece fritzing out.

2) Hardware needs to be replaced if this occurs.

3) Lock ups are typically software related. If you are resetting the device that often, there might be some software on the device that is causing it to crash. The Treo 600 is pretty stable in that sense. Check if you have any old software from a previous Palm that got loaded on and is causing a conflict.

4) A splotch on the screen. If the device came to you like this, it is a defect and is very rare. I've seen 1 screen defect and it occured right after it went through a large airport luggage bomb-detector machine in Vegas (not the regular scanner).

5) The Echo problem. This I can fix. The Echo probably only happens when you call somebody in speakerphone mode. Try toggling between speakerphone and non-speakerphone and the echo will go away. Also, when somebody calls you and you switch to speakerphone, there should be no echo. Ideally, you can can call somebody, allow them to pick up and then switch to speakerphone. There will be no echo. Also, the speaker and mic is on the back, make sure the sound is not bouncing against a hard surface.
    Firmware updates only address certain software fixes. Most of the problems you have with your device won't be helped by a firmware update. However, in order to release a new version of firmware, the update needs to go through a very complicated and lengthy review by a particular board that governs all carriers. Once it is blessed then Palmone may release it to the public as an update on the website. Service can only release what they have. I can understand your frustrations but I can assure you that the phone service folks are quite literate and speak english but may have an accent. There are escalation procedures in place as well. Let's see if we can get that piece going.

Unfortunately, I am in Canada so I can't help you directly. Email me privately here and I will see what I can do to escalate it. No guarantees, but I don't want you to be dissatisified. I believe once you have a unit without hardware defects, you will be thrilled beyond belief. You may have one of those very rare situations where a faulty unit got out.

PalmLover
    My first treo had the speaker problem, called Sprint and got a refurbished replacement. THAT Treo developed the Network Search problem at half battery. Sprint replaced that phone with a brand-new palmone-branded phone and it's been perfect.

So, my question really is, why did you wait this long to call in? At problem #1 you should've been requesting a replacement...
    PalmLover, your "fix" for the echo problem is really a workaround.. What about those who want to use the speakerphone mode while driving with the treo hooked up to the car stereo listening to an mp3 and a call comes in? You can't exactly use the toggle "workaround" safely - in fact you should not do this.
    I love TMobile customer service. The Sprint customer service is well under-par. You should appreciate the TMobile service.

I've looked into another handheld other than the Treo600 and I can't find a better replacement. The new O2/XDA unit was supposed to come out, but that thing is huge, and the union between PDA and cell phone is far from what the Treo was yesterday(Treo 180/270/300).

I jumped onto the Sidekick....what a piece of crap.....had to immediately sell it back on ebay.

Nokia has a new Communicator coming out later this year. HUGE and BULKY. Has all the bells and whistles built-in. 802.11b and Bluetooth built in, but has no stylus for touchscreen...horrible Symbian OS. Did I mention that thing is HUGE?

If you're giving up on the Treo 600....consider buying a bluetooth cell phone and a good bluetooth PDA.

Stan
    <placeyouremail@here.com>....Relaying denied.
    IP name lookup failed [10.196.223.228]
    There is nothing close to the Treo 600 at the moment. HP 4155 and a blue tooth phone would be my solution. I love the palm os, but that 4155 would almost make me switch back to PocketPC.
    leon, if you receive a call, the Treo does not give you th option to pick it up in speakerphone mode, you would have to answer and then tap speakerphone. My experience is the echo does not happen in this scenario. You should be fine.
    Give it a try.

PalmLover
    Mike, Stanward is correct, the new Zire 72 combines video capture, 1.2 mp camera, a 312 mhz Intel processor Palm OS, voice recorder and Bluetooth so you can pair with a bluetooth phone. It's a 2 piece solution but will give you a powerful Palm OS device and allows you to use a bluetooth phone of your choice.

PalmLover
    PalmLover, I'm glad that works for you. Unfortunately not on mine.. There are just too many wild variances in quality..
    First regarding outsourced Tech support.... That you will get with any major vender these days...sorry, you won't avoid it by switching devices...

Anyhoo...if I were to replace my Treo600 today, there are a number of current and forthcoming devices I would consider. If you want to stay with PalmOS, I'ld wait for the SGH-i530 smartphone from Samsung. The GSL G88 is also nice, but it won't work in NA. If you want to do WM03, I'ld wait for the Moto MPx. The best Symbian phone is probably the SE P900 or SendoX imo. Finally if you want linux, checkour the Moto A768...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  15.    #15  
    As a result of this thread, I was contacted by someone from PalmOne, who has promised me satisfaction.

As I said before, I absolutely love my Treo600 when it's working properly. My problem has been that there are now multiple things wrong with it, and I am still waiting for a replacement.
    GFunk, I waited months and months and months for the Samsung SGH-i500 which was ultimately never released. Frankly, having lived with the Treo600 and its keyboard, I consider myself lucky that Samsung dawdled so long. Do you think the 530 will ever see the light of day?
    Mike Margolis,

How in the world did you get someone from Palm to call you??? I'd give anything if someone at Palm would contact me to solve my problem. I am so frustrated with Palm customer service I could scream. I'm waiting for my 4th Treo replacement now and have not had a workable phone for over 2 months.
  18.    #18  
    They contacted me via Private Message through this board. Said they'd help, we swapped emails early this morning, I have heard nothing back yet.
    Last edited by Mike Margolis; 05/03/2004 at 08:21 PM.
    PalmOne sent you a private message through TreoCentral? That's different! U sure someone is not playing a prank on you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalai Lama
    GFunk, I waited months and months and months for the Samsung SGH-i500 which was ultimately never released. Frankly, having lived with the Treo600 and its keyboard, I consider myself lucky that Samsung dawdled so long. Do you think the 530 will ever see the light of day?

Well according to Rave over at pdaphonehome (Samsung insider), the 530 should be released by the end of this year...who knows though...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast